Dua Lipa

CaledonianGonzo

Had a chance over the weekend to give it a few listens and I feel like many on here seem to, that it's not bad, but clearly isn't a patch on the earlier albums.  Outside of Falling Forever and Training Season, the rest just wafts by and doesn't grab me at all.  Also doesn't seem to have the flow from track to track that great albums have and like FN certainly did.  I think a different producer could have done a better job with the material IMO.

I think it’s true to say that this isn’t as huge as FN, though that was a big lightning in a bottle moment, but I think it’s a bit revisionist to suggest that was a no filler album. A couple on it are dirge, honestly. Future Nostalgia had higher highs, but also lower lows. Everything on this album is good to great.

It’s only left me more excited for the set. Realistically, she’s only doing 5 (6 if you add Dance The Night) from this era, surely. 

The singles, Falling Forever and Happy For You added to her very many other bangers and I would be very happy.  

By my count Future Nostalgia had three filler tunes (Pretty Please, Good in Bed, Boys Will Be Boys) and eight stone cold bangers which is a mad hit rate. The best stuff on this new album doesn't come close to any of those eight imo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, crumbler said:

By my count Future Nostalgia had three filler tunes (Pretty Please, Good in Bed, Boys Will Be Boys) and eight stone cold bangers which is a mad hit rate. The best stuff on this new album doesn't come close to any of those eight imo.

I'd completely agree with that.  I don't even mind Pretty Please if I'm honest.

I’m agreeing with that, for the most part. But I’m just saying there’s nothing here as bad as Pretty Please, Boys Will Be Boys or Good In Bed. So there’s nothing she could really do to derail the set list. I’m hyped. 

Saw this comment online but I wonder if the intention of the album changed - from Training Season and Houdini it sounded very much in line with what the expectation was of a psychedlic inspired album (especially the extended versions) but the other songs appear to be more mainstream pop - maybe there was some commercial pressure to change.

I definitely expected the extended versions to be part of the album and a continious thread almost throughout the album and she did mention she wrote lots of songs for the album so maybe the direction changed late on.

Got round to giving it a listen and enjoyed it. No it’s not as good as the last one but that was absurdly good. I like that it’s a bit different and enjoyed the more chilled vibe. I’m not a super fan or anything but I’m happy there’s more than enough there to top up the Glastonbury setlist and keep the pace up.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ninety9 said:

Saw this comment online but I wonder if the intention of the album changed - from Training Season and Houdini it sounded very much in line with what the expectation was of a psychedlic inspired album (especially the extended versions) but the other songs appear to be more mainstream pop - maybe there was some commercial pressure to change.

I definitely expected the extended versions to be part of the album and a continious thread almost throughout the album and she did mention she wrote lots of songs for the album so maybe the direction changed late on.

It might explain why the album sounds nothing like the Britpop influence she mentioned a few months back.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It might explain why the album sounds nothing like the Britpop influence she mentioned a few months back.

I'm sure there will be different album versions coming out so we may get an opportunity of the "full" album at some point

A first-week #1 was guaranteed as Taylor's sales have dropped quite a lot by this point, it'll be more telling to see how Dua's album is performing in a few weeks from now.

After the help of its first-week physicals, I suspect that it won't get anywhere close to Future Nostalgia's 51 weeks in the Top 10. 

2 hours ago, king_oxymoron said:

I’m agreeing with that, for the most part. But I’m just saying there’s nothing here as bad as Pretty Please, Boys Will Be Boys or Good In Bed. So there’s nothing she could really do to derail the set list. I’m hyped. 

Is it just me who likes boys will be boys and would really enjoy it if she played it (over most of the new album at the moment)?

As many others have pointed out, Future Nostalgia had a disproportionate number of bangers in a time when we needed them like we need air. Not to say in any other time that Radical Optimism would be considered better or even close, but I'm really enjoying it. She's already got loads of bangers and I like these filler tracks more than the fillers on FN.

Gonna be a gorgeous way to start the full weekend!!!

Edited by woyski
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, northernangel said:

To be honest I don't think she will maintain the level to be a must for returning anyway.

Very fair - I took it more like we're going to get an out of the ordinary performance and not just a set straight out of tour, like Billie's headline performance felt at points.

Her numbers were heavily boosted by physicals, with the streaming numbers down 33% from Future Nostalgia. So it seems she's grown her fanbase, but the album hasn't caught on as much with the GP. 

Not a bad result all things considered, but it'll be interesting to see what trajectory her next album has. 

Edited by WhoOdyssey

41 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Her numbers were heavily boosted by physicals, with the streaming numbers down 33% from Future Nostalgia. So it seems she's grown her fanbase, but the album hasn't caught on as much with the GP. 

Not a bad result all things considered, but it'll be interesting to see what trajectory her next album has. 

I really like this album. I also like all the previous singles but wouldn't call myself a big fan. I'm far far from the target audience though so that's probably part of the problem...

11 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

If you see her mate can you tell her thanks very much for the e-mails but I'm spoken for. It's getting annoying.

she said alex delarge-who? 👊