Sleeping At Glasto

Bisque

7 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

A wafty crank is usually a good way to send one off..

Apparently

Remember to turn the tent light off first so you don't create any obvious silhouettes :rofl:

1 hour ago, grilladelphia said:

had fuck all sleep last year maybe 6hrs over the weekend, due to the heat - so fresh and black it is this year!

Beware, if it's hot at night, there's not a lot a reflective coating can do to keep your tent cool.  I ended up opening all the vents after sweltering in the middle of the night, meaning that some (although nowhere near as much as a standard tent) light came in when the sun came up. It may be great in the mornings, but it doesn't come with an air conditioner!

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Beware, if it's hot at night, there's not a lot a reflective coating can do to keep your tent cool.  I ended up opening all the vents after sweltering in the middle of the night, meaning that some (although nowhere near as much as a standard tent) light came in when the sun came up. It may be great in the mornings, but it doesn't come with an air conditioner!

Essentially I arrived back at the tent between 6-7am each day, so I only had the option of sleeping in a furnace! Even if it means I can get 2-3 hours a day its worth it!

9 hours ago, The Nal said:

Thats full blown insomnia. Daily exercise and yoga seem to be the best cures for it.

I’m waiting for the weather down here on the South Coast to lighten up a bit (less windy) & I’ll get back into running & biking again.

I’m actually applying for a job which I need to exercise for (you can guess what).

11 hours ago, fred quimby said:

From your first sentence are you talking about outside of Glastonbury and have you see anyone about that.

Not recently but I have in the past & what they gave me didn’t work. I’ve had a few diazepam left over from a trip to Asia & some Zopiclone that isn’t mine with some effect.

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Little battery powered fans help this out, not much, but a bit. 

7 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Little battery powered fans help this out, not much, but a bit. 

My father brought back a few of these from a yachting holiday in Greece. They are bigger than the usual hand held ones but if I can borrow one & get it in my bag then good shout!

7 hours ago, stuie said:

Remember to turn the tent light off first so you don't create any obvious silhouettes :rofl:

I stole some camp chairs off a couple shagging that hadn’t turned the light off in their tent. Sounded like they were having a lovely time.

I returned the camp chairs in the morning.

I seem to be in the minority (of one?) who sleeps well at Glastonbury. I don't normally sleep well (I can never seem to manage more than 5-6 hours, topped up by a strategic siesta) but the sound outside becomes white noise, and I enjoy drifting off to the sound of revelry and bass as long as it's not happening right outside my tent. Last year, I put my head down at about 2am each night and woke up by 10am ready for another day.

I've only ever had one good nights sleep at Glastonbury, but it was so good I still remember it 10 years later. I lived in NZ at the time so flew back a few days before. Still jet lagged so hadn't slept well before getting to the festival. Put my tent up, went for a bit of a lie down (not sure what time, late afternoon, early evening), next thing I knew it was tomorrow morning. I felt amazing and it seemed to set me up nicely for the rest of the festival

So, my tip for a good nights sleep is to be at the exact right point in your jet lag recovery following a 24 hour flight. Hope that helps someone.

Some people have this ‘pffft, sleep when I’m dead, I ain’t wasting time unconscious at Glastonbury’ attitude but I can’t operate like that, if I don’t get at least five hours of sleep then a) I can’t really function and b) somebody annoying will get punched in the face.
Which is bad in crowd situations. For everyone within a fist’s distance 🤣🤣

so I have a blackout tent, proper pillows, an inflatable mattress, and PJs in which to kip. Must be warm and comfortable, must sleep reasonably. I quite favour a little twenty min disco nap in a quiet tent or some shade too. The yoga tents in the green fields are SUPERB for this! 

On 1/10/2020 at 2:07 PM, Kinkyinuit said:

I've always struggled with getting to sleep and have had crippling bouts of insomnia in the past so these days I take phenergan  to help me sleep.

It's available over the counter, doesn't interact with other medications/alcohol and doesn't leave you groggy the next day - especially when compared to stronger sleeping tablets like zopiclone or benzodiazepine based ones.

+1 for Phenergan.

I'm a terrible insomniac, usually 2am on a work night, up at 6am. Repeat. So frustrating.

GP recently suggested Phenergan and works a treat. Available OTC and you can vary your dose 10mg to 50mg depending on how much you need. I've had no grog from it either.

Its also used to treat hayfever and travel sickness so quite multi-pupose.
I hate taking any kind of prescribed medication so this is a great alternative.

P.S. I know it sounds like it but I don't work for them!

• Upvote 1

The first rule of sleep for me is that I have to be warm and comfortable.  When I tented that meant a decent double air bed, good sleeping bag and liner, comfortable real pillow (not rolled up clothes) and a good supply of blankets.  I use the same in my caravan  Blackout blinds also mean I don't get woken early by bright sunlight  at the crack of dawn.

A mug of hot chocolate to settle me down also helps.