Rum club

carlosj

To provide an alternative to posting in the troll thread, what type of rum can you recommend for me? My taste background is that I love malt whisky /whiskey particularly the peatier ones, and I assume that rums aren't like these. I drink white rum in a variety of cocktails, but never dark; I associate dark with the cloying taste of rum and raisin chocolate. Thanks for any tips, and even how it's best drunk.

Dark rum is majestic stuff. I like yer Caribbean ones, Appleton Estate is my favourite of the readily available supermarket rums - kraken is also thoroughly decent. Good with coke, lemonade, poured into cider, added to tea, sloshed into a morning milkshake, or drunk on its own. 
rum: good with everything. 

what’s your favourite couple of whiskies? I have worryingly expensive tastes ??? Nikka from the barrel and Lagavulin would be typical faves 

Dark rum is great, I prefer the light brown ones so not too dark. 

Mount Gay Black Barrel is absolutely lovely but a bit pricey.

As Baltic says, great mixer with most things, and Appleton Estate a decent cheaper brand.

not convinced by spiced rum myself but you could give that a try

Certainly some similarities with whisky, in the varieties of tastes and preference. Give you an idea of where I stand, I like Balvenie Doublewood and Caribbean Cask, Penderyn, Nikka, stuff like that. So not the peatier ones so much.

With rum, I'm a fan of spiced for mixers (heresy to @H.M.V I know). Preference is for Kraken, which is a nice dark one, or Red Leg which is lighter and has a nice balance of spice, quite heavy on the vanilla which you dont find in a lot of spiced rum. If you had any rum off me at the meet, it's Red Leg.

Either a good fiery ginger beer with a wedge of lime (and a dash of bitters if you're feeling flash), or there's a Jamaican grapefruit soda called Ting which is lush. Loads of ice either way.

For sipping like a whisky my personal choices are Appleton's Extra 12, or as had already been said the Mount Gay Black Barrel. Havana Club Maestro is also nice. I'm happy enough to have rum room temperature, but if I want it chilled I prefer whisky stones to water.

Really is the tip of the iceberg. Went to a rum bar in Soho not that long ago, and they had me working my way down the wall and basically through the Caribbean!

Edited by Quark

9 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Dark rum is majestic stuff. I like yer Caribbean ones, Appleton Estate is my favourite of the readily available supermarket rums - kraken is also thoroughly decent. Good with coke, lemonade, poured into cider, added to tea, sloshed into a morning milkshake, or drunk on its own. 

what’s your favourite couple of whiskies? I have worryingly expensive tastes ??? Nikka from the barrel and Lagavulin would be typical faves 

Thanks all, a good start to try.

For whiskeys, I prefer the Islays, Laphroaig in particular, but the islands too. I've had Amrut after a holiday in India, some Japanese too. The best for me was a birthday gift of 18 years old Highland Park from my dad.

21 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Have you tried Penderyn Welsh whisky pal? Bloody lovely it is, if you like yours quite rich it's right up your alley

• Upvote 1

Aw I used to drink Ting all the time in Jamaica. Delicious. Go well with some gold Appleton. 

Used to drink the 60% proof Jamaican moonshine called jonko batty ( called that cos it smelled like black birds arse, rotten. I didn't name it) God that stuff was rough. ?

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

Certainly some similarities with whisky, in the varieties of tastes and preference. Give you an idea of where I stand, I like Balvenie Doublewood and Caribbean Cask, Penderyn, Nikka, stuff like that. So not the peatier ones so much.

With rum, I'm a fan of spiced for mixers (heresy to @H.M.V I know). Preference is for Kraken, which is a nice dark one, or Red Leg which is lighter and has a nice balance of spice, quite heavy on the vanilla which you dont find in a lot of spiced rum. If you had any rum off me at the meet, it's Red Leg.

Either a good fiery ginger beer with a wedge of lime (and a dash of bitters if you're feeling flash), or there's a Jamaican grapefruit soda called Ting which is lush. Loads of ice either way.

For sipping like a whisky my personal choices are Appleton's Extra 12, or as had already been said the Mount Gay Black Barrel. Havana Club Maestro is also nice. I'm happy enough to have rum room temperature, but if I want it chilled I prefer whisky stones to water.

Really is the tip of the iceberg. Went to a rum bar in Soho not that long ago, and they had me working my way down the wall and basically through the Caribbean!

I don’t know this much about anything

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Have you tried Penderyn Welsh whisky pal? Bloody lovely it is, if you like yours quite rich it's right up your alley

Had it on my list for a while - got to wait for the supermarket to bung it on Sale for under £30 and I’m on it. Ta ??
the Lidl own-label Ben Bracken is actually well worth a bash if you fancy giving it a go, the Islay one is £18 and is easily a match of most supermarket single malts - it took me quite by surprise! 

17 minutes ago, Quark said:

That is a nice one.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

which was the concoction I tried ? forgotten already ... and il probably end up asking you again before June :) 

1 hour ago, carlosj said:

To provide an alternative to posting in the troll thread, what type of rum can you recommend for me? My taste background is that I love malt whisky /whiskey particularly the peatier ones, and I assume that rums aren't like these. I drink white rum in a variety of cocktails, but never dark; I associate dark with the cloying taste of rum and raisin chocolate. Thanks for any tips, and even how it's best drunk.

Judging on your taste profile, I highly recommend rum.