capacity increase

Airlie

Im not sure if its new information, but I see that it's being reported that there will be a capacity increase for 2020.  On one hand this is good news, more chance of getting a ticket!  On the other hand, this worries me slightly as at times last year it felt too busy and actually took away some of the enjoyment at times!  What are peoples thoughts on the increase?  As a start they really need:

- More toilets - ive never queued for the toilet so much as I did in 2019!

- More space - Yes block 9 was much bigger, but I don't feel that 'the head' area attracted enough people, they could do with putting on a few bigger acts there

Going up to 210K isn't it according to 6 Music? However, not sure if that represents an increase in punters tickets from the 135K, just more crew etc. I wonder if one day the festival will consist entirely of charities, crew, security, performers and other staff and just a handful of regular punters...

it's gone from 203k up to 209k.

7000 extra coach tickets.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/news/44460

Glastonbury Festival has the green light to increase capacity next year.

The Mendip City Council passed a resolution during its most recent Licensing Board meeting to allow Worthy Farm to host 210,000 people in 2020, a 3.4 percent increase following last year's attendance figure of 203,000.

Though the festival hasn't confirmed if it will take up the expansion, the 7000 new tickets would be set aside for festivalgoers who take public transit to Worthy Farm. The new total would allow for the sale of 142,000 tickets in total, plus 5000 for area locals and 63,000 for talent, crew and volunteers.

Next year's Glastonbury will take place from June 24th through 28th.

Edited by ghostdancer1

30 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Would be hard for it to feel more crowded than this year. Especially on the Wed/This. 

I felt 2019 was much busier than 2017 for sure... I guess it could just depend where the majority decide to go at any one time. The site is easily big enough to cater for more than 200k... the problem is when everyone decides to go to the same place at the same time... 

7000 extra coach tickets is good... means 7000 less people going for the normal tickets :D

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

I felt 2019 was much busier than 2017 for sure... I guess it could just depend where the majority decide to go at any one time. The site is easily big enough to cater for more than 200k... the problem is when everyone decides to go to the same place at the same time... 

7000 extra coach tickets is good... means 7000 less people going for the normal tickets :D

But 203k to 209k is only 6k extra so with 7k extra coach tickets it means there will be less general tickets on sale?  :blink:

Weird, I found the toilet queue way less of a thing this year compared to 15 and 17... But I wasn't around the pyramid much save for Kylie...

And I agree with the heat comment. It seemed people were constantly moving to find shade which may have made it seem more crowded.

I actually felt it was pretty roomy this year, all things considered

3 hours ago, Pinhead said:

I wonder if one day the festival will consist entirely of charities, crew, security, performers and other staff and just a handful of regular punters...

63,000 talent, crew and volunteers from 210,000 onsite is 30%  It sounds like a lot doesn't it.  But then it works so well!

It does feel too busy these days compared to when I first went in 2009. Mainly around the Pyramid and SE. I don’t know if that’s down to where people spend their time at the festival now, the capacity increasing or me being more aware of things like that than I was at 19, but I do wish it was a bit quieter.

1 minute ago, brettredmayne said:

So what's the break down of actual available tickets to buy now?

If the festival chooses to use the full amounts allowed under the most recent licence (which I think is less certain than others have assumed):

142,000 public weekend tickets, of which at least 29,000 will be coach packages

5,000 Sunday only tickets for locals.

63,000 "Staff" tickets

an unspecified number of free tickets for kids 12 and under, and Hospitality tickets, both of which count against the "Staff" allocation.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Personally I think it's full enough. Are they going to increase the camping space as well? Probably not is my guess.

There's plenty of unused camping space, all around the edges - where no one wants to be.