Tickets , Tips and Tricks

Crazyfool01

14 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I genuinely think I'd have to stay off here if I'm unsuccessful tomorrow - and I'm not overly optimistic. I got a brand new laptop (not just got the sale but coincidentally) with an i7 processor, and it died out the box and it can't be replaced till next week. If that isn't a sign of a nail in the coffin I don't know what is. 

I had a shortened Glastonbury last year due to last minute unplanned work so I've still not brought myself to watch the vlogs on YouTube!

Yup, same here, going to add phone on 4G as another chance to get past the holding page. It would be just my luck it’s the only  one that connects and have to enter details on its small screen with a severe case of the nerves. 

45 minutes ago, Kinzinski said:

Sorry if this has already been answered; is being 'incognito' / 'private browsing' detrimental to obtaining tickets? Am I best allowing cookies etc? Thanks

Private/Incognito mode by itself doesn't disable cookies (at least not in Firefox, assume Chrome is the same), it just means that those cookies don't cross over into other browser windows or last beyond the current session.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Private/Incognito mode by itself doesn't disable cookies (at least not in Firefox, assume Chrome is the same), it just means that those cookies don't cross over into other browser windows or last beyond the current session.

So it's still better to use private, right?

25 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I genuinely think I'd have to stay off here if I'm unsuccessful tomorrow - and I'm not overly optimistic. I got a brand new laptop (not just got the sale but coincidentally) with an i7 processor, and it died out the box and it can't be replaced till next week. If that isn't a sign of a nail in the coffin I don't know what is. 

I had a shortened Glastonbury last year due to last minute unplanned work so I've still not brought myself to watch the vlogs on YouTube!

It's realism, I can't be optimistic, as per GlastoThing's Twitter poll re Thursday, 80% unsuccessful.

Making big assumptions that figure is accurate, yes there's plenty more tickets available Sunday, but more trying - including the 80% - so I'm not expecting to get a ticket tomorrow. Every previous year I have expected to get one, but I still vividly recall last year's 30 minutes of wasted efforts, enough to make me believe I won't succeed so I'm not I hope going to be devastated tomorrow if it doesn't work out.

On Thursday, my normal Firefox window was useless* but my incognito Chrome window was a beast.

*not as useless as my 4G connection

That said, I wasn't successful for the group I tried for either way, so where that leaves us god knows. It's luck, persistence and very little else.

Edited by kalifire

9 minutes ago, HuggyHare said:

So it's still better to use private, right?

I think the only advantage with private / incognito tabs is that when you close them, all the cookies are deleted so you can quickly start a new fresh session. This is helpful if you've got stuck with the holding page on a server that's crashed or frozen, or the White Page of Doom

27 minutes ago, kalifire said:

On Thursday, my normal Firefox window was useless* but my incognito Chrome window was a beast.

*not as useless as my 4G connection

That said, I wasn't successful for the group I tried for either way, so where that leaves us god knows. It's luck, persistence and very little else.

Incognito Chrome you say? Would I have to clear Cookies from there first?

Really sorry about this - I'm sure the info is in there somewhere, but I've been looking for a while and can't find it

When you get into a group with strangers, surely giving out your card details is a massive risk? I'm sure 99% of the people on here are honest, but getting somebody's details and security number opens up all sorts of fraud opportunities for somebody with villainous intentions, and the credit card company wouldn't be very helpful once they found out how your details were obtained.

What am I missing?

1 minute ago, Stevie P-alike said:

Really sorry about this - I'm sure the info is in there somewhere, but I've been looking for a while and can't find it

When you get into a group with strangers, surely giving out your card details is a massive risk? I'm sure 99% of the people on here are honest, but getting somebody's details and security number opens up all sorts of fraud opportunities for somebody with villainous intentions, and the credit card company wouldn't be very helpful once they found out how your details were obtained.

What am I missing?

You shouldn't really have to give out your card details. Whoever gets through pays for the tickets and then the others in the group (hopefully) would then pay them back via bank transfer or paypal. 

No real reason to give your long number, security code etc out. As you say, massive risk if they do.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Incognito Chrome you say? Would I have to clear Cookies from there first?

When you start up Chrome with an incognito tab, there are no cookies associated with it, so it's like having cleared them. Then when you close all the incognito tabs the cookies are all deleted again for those tabs. The cookies still remain for the non-incognito tabs until you explicitly delete them, though

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JoshM87 said:

Did we have anything close to an official figure as to the success rate last year? I heard 1 in 6. I managed to get tickets myself but obviously if you’re successful it usually feels easy enough

It's probably best not to calculate it, it will only distress people! If those stats were right it would mean at least 5x the number of people who got tickets will be trying on Sunday PLUS all the people who didn't even try for the coach sale (which is likely way more) --horrific! 

3 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

we've got your back ...you will be back :) 

Edited by crazyfool1

11 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Interesting question that.  Anyone know? 

I'm not sure it is simply between the laptops - @parsonjack did some experiments eons ago (well probably around page 15) and it seems that it depends which servers the two browsers connect to - if they're on different ones, you get 60 refreshes per min for each - if they happen to have both been routed to the same one (by See's load balancer, and it's totally random) then it's the total clicks between them that count. How do you know which situation has happened? Well unless you can look at and decode the cookies on your machine, you can't!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

It's probably best not to calculate it, it will only distress people! If those stats were right it would mean at least 5x the number of people who got tickets will be trying on Sunday PLUS all the people who didn't even try for the coach sale (which is likely way more) --horrific! 

I would have thought it to be more people trying than that to be fair. I think 500k people trying is way below the actual number. Have there been figures released in the past? I may be way out ??‍♂️

3 minutes ago, billum said:

I'm not sure it is simply between the laptops - @parsonjack did some experiments eons ago (well probably around page 15) and it seems that it depends which servers the two browsers connect to - if they're on different ones, you get 60 refreshes per min for each - if they happen to have both been routed to the same one (by See's load balancer, and it's totally random) then it's the total clicks between them that count. How do you know which situation has happened? Well unless you can look at and decode the cookies on your machine, you can't!

Just another imponderable added to the whole scenario. 

9 minutes ago, billum said:

That's what I found yes....which is why the only thing you can do to avoid the possibility is to use different connections per device.  I did however test 2 laptops on same WiFi refreshing every second and experienced no 'busy' page at all.  The conclusion being that the possibility is there, and it increases the more devices you use on same connection.  2 may be no issue...but the more you add the bigger the risk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevie P-alike said:

What am I missing?

I personally don't think it's safe. Even if you don't give them your card details (never give strangers your card details on the internet! It's basic!), they could always get your tickets, you transfer the money, then they can cancel your deposit and have made a £25 profit per person. Plus aside from the lost money, you've lost your shot at a ticket.

Remember crooks do use these boards- just before this years festival some awful crook started a thread saying they ran a Turtle Juice stall at glastonbury and their staff had let them down so they needed some people to staff it- in return for a ticket etc. It was really a scam targeting desperate people (think they wanted either bank details or you to pay a ticket deposit to them).

Edited by Mr.Tease