Proroguing Parliament aregardingt Glastonbury

bamber

On 9/9/2019 at 11:35 AM, eFestivals said:

yep, there's defo a plan to some of what Johnson's doing - otherwise there wouldn't be leaks of what his supposed strategy is. 

Those 'leaks' are being used to make the opposition make particular moves, and where the endgame (whatever that is) works out to the favour of Johnson (so Johnson believes, anyway).

Agree with this. My hope is that the innate arrogance of Johnson and his advisers makes them miscalculate what they think they can achieve.

Having unfortunately spent time in the company of people like them in the past I reckon it’s a good bet they’ve got it completely wrong.

Bought and paid for tossers. 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, I just saw that too. Quite amusing. 

Made good telly, he was raging. Especially with the empty podium that was meant for boris. Should have put a can of corned beef in his place like they did on have I got news for you a few years ago when Roy hattersly didn’t appear!  

51 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

If you avoid the weird corners, it can be a refreshingly politics free place. 

Party political maybe, but there's politics in a lot of Glastonbury - outside of the Leftfield, Greenpeace and Shangri-La more openly political standpoints, there was the Extinction Rebellion march last year, the fact the place is half staffed by Oxfam volunteers, the commitment to being as green as is feasible...

And Brexit is hugely relevant. If no deal Brexit happens, that'll massively impact how appealing it is for international acts to come over and play.

Tickets have gone up £17 this year which I think is the highest price rise ever. Part of that will be down to uncertainty about the entire supply chain for certain things in the festival next year. All this stuff is very relevant.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

unfortunate but true that the real world exists and politics is part of that ... efests doesnt provide a superfence to hide behind , and it seems to one of Neils favourite topics :) and very much relates to the festival 

I put up my own efestival superfence up and avoid entering into political discussions here, I find it very relaxing to do this, and is my little online escape from the world outside. 

10 hours ago, madmaninabox said:

If you avoid the weird corners, it can be a refreshingly politics free place. 

It's hardly confined to "weird corners".

The closest venue to dead centre of the site is the Leftfield, and that's a deliberate statement. The three biggest stages have Oxfam / Greenpeace / WaterAid logos running along the front (and I wouldn't be surprised to see XR added next year). Those stages constantly run videos and sometimes speakers for political causes between bands. The Pyramid is often topped by a political centrepiece like a CND logo or most recently a giant Earth. Another major outdoor stage (The Park) literally has dozens of political protest banners surrounding it.

Even if you avoid the Green Fields and SE Corner and stick to the main stages / main markets, it's only politics free if you're actively choosing to ignore it.

16 hours ago, uscore said:

I mean, doesn't that also apply to these boards where you can just not open threads that are about politics?

It does when common sense is followed in posting. I was naive enough to think that having Glastonbury in it's title and being in the Glastonbury sub forum this thread might have had interesting information relating to how this might affect Glastonbury or something not be another political moanfest better suited to the politics section.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Dunno how many of you follow legal developments but today is the Cherry case in the Supreme Court - probably the most important public law case of the century. 

It would be ace if they actually declared the proroguing illegal - it would be massive.  But I'm pretty sure they won't. And I'm also concerned it'll be used as validation by the Brexiters.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Dunno how many of you follow legal developments but today is the Cherry case in the Supreme Court - probably the most important public law case of the century. 

today is the start of the hearing, anyway. We might not get a result before the end of the week.

The right of the PM to prorogue can't be denied in law, so my guess is that it'll hinge on what there is in law for a right of 'the people' to a parliament (I've no idea about what there might be).

Politics is intrinsic to the whole ethos of the festival. Whether it’s the  global organisations  of CND, Greenpeace etc to the alternative lifestyles that are given a voice such as home schooling or banning hunting  you are free to make up your own mind. It would just be another music  festival without areas such as the healing field, left field etc. 

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

today is the start of the hearing, anyway. We might not get a result before the end of the week.

The right of the PM to prorogue can't be denied in law, so my guess is that it'll hinge on what there is in law for a right of 'the people' to a parliament (I've no idea about what there might be).

As someone that very much enjoys constitutional law it’s one of those cases where it won’t change anything - but constitutionally it will mean a lot :P 

The problem with this though is yet again it is complete unchartered waters.

Edited by Matt42

9 minutes ago, uscore said:

It would be ace if they actually declared the proroguing illegal - it would be massive.  But I'm pretty sure they won't. And I'm also concerned it'll be used as validation by the Brexiters.

The Supreme Court are very reluctant to interfere with politics so I can’t see them declaring it unlawful either.