Football 19/20

thetime

Mixed emotions about us playing the kids in the replay against Shrewsbury.

On one hand I completely get Klopp’s point, especially from the guidelines set out by the Premier League about the winter break. It also feels like he’s trying to make a point.

On the other hand it’s a genuine chance at another trophy and - more importantly - do we really want to lose our unbeaten record at Anfield?!

The scenes if Shrewsbury are the first team to win at Anfield this season. Even if Liverpool are gonna treat it like a Leasing.com Trophy game.

But I do get Klopp's point. It is bizarre the PL made a huge point about a winter break being introduced this year, only for the FA Cup to dump in a load of replays that could negatively impact clubs that have to partake in them. If we're going to start having winter breaks, and I feel like its getting to the point where we should do, the English football authorities are going to have to do better at coordinating this in practice.

Hell, it has not escaped my attention both Steve Bruce and Karl Robinson have said they didn't want Newcastle v Oxford to go to a replay, given both sides are struggling with player fitness/availability at the moment. I don't mind the idea of replays but it feels like they're just starting to become more trouble than their worth, which is a bit sad due to it being traditional and occasionally exciting, but ultimately not unsurprising.

7 hours ago, charlierc said:

The scenes if Shrewsbury are the first team to win at Anfield this season. Even if Liverpool are gonna treat it like a Leasing.com Trophy game.

But I do get Klopp's point. It is bizarre the PL made a huge point about a winter break being introduced this year, only for the FA Cup to dump in a load of replays that could negatively impact clubs that have to partake in them. If we're going to start having winter breaks, and I feel like its getting to the point where we should do, the English football authorities are going to have to do better at coordinating this in practice.

Hell, it has not escaped my attention both Steve Bruce and Karl Robinson have said they didn't want Newcastle v Oxford to go to a replay, given both sides are struggling with player fitness/availability at the moment. I don't mind the idea of replays but it feels like they're just starting to become more trouble than their worth, which is a bit sad due to it being traditional and occasionally exciting, but ultimately not unsurprising.

A replay is a chance for a lower league team to get a big payday, particularly if they draw at home. I think Karl Robinson is a minority view in the lower league.

28 minutes ago, pryce said:

People who have been to anfield, how easy is it to get back to lime street

Or any decent places to park nearby? 

Loads of busses back that stop a few minutes walk from Lime Street. Lots of unofficial parking nearby (schools, pubs, garages) but you need to get there early.

If you're really lucky, you can get in one of the free spaces near the shops etc. that mean you don't need a residents pass. I used to park outside a little church every match.

Edit: Should have added you can walk it in 30 - 40 minutes.

Edited by Gnomicide

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Cash just gone out my account for the Liverpool game (signed up to cup scheme) - £15!

Yeah I believe it was agreed with Shrewsbury they would lower the price to get a sellout. Otherwise they’d be looking at half a stadium at the normal ticket price.

Works our better for Shrewsbury financially that way, too.

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Yeah I believe it was agreed with Shrewsbury they would lower the price to get a sellout. Otherwise they’d be looking at half a stadium at the normal ticket price.

Works our better for Shrewsbury financially that way, too.

Half a stadium? No trains back to London that late?

17 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

A replay is a chance for a lower league team to get a big payday, particularly if they draw at home. I think Karl Robinson is a minority view in the lower league.

He even said he thinks his club chairman would dispute his opposition to having replays, especially given the BBC selected the clash at the Kassam Stadium for live TV coverage. But its curious because I'm aware Oxford are having player fitness problems of their own.

The question isn't a new one. I remember in 2004/05, Newcastle had 19 additional games on top of the Premier League 38, and it had part of an affect given a Mags side that came 5th in 03/04 finished 9 places lower (although I would also blame Souness not being a great manager and player burnout/sales). But I do wonder if part of the issues include a high-energy style the likes of Klopp have, a strange lack of rotation they seem to have - I think other teams in the past rotated more - and other factors.

Football league teams play 8 more league games a season, play group stages in what ever the ldv trophy is called now and play lower rounds of both other cups. Pretty sure some of these big clubs would rather all the smaller teams to just not bother existing so they can get on with the important stuff. 

• Upvote 3