Living near site

reallife

Ok yeah, bit jealous but of those of you who live near site, is it because you love Glasto or because you happen to be living there for another reason?  We seem to have a lot of folk who regularly walk the site...

2 minutes ago, reallife said:

Ok yeah, bit jealous but of those of you who live near site, is it because you love Glasto or because you happen to be living there for another reason?  We seem to have a lot of folk who regularly walk the site...

I live here cos it’s where I have my house. The festival is an added bonus. A rather nice added bonus. And yes the site is our regular running/ dog walking track. It takes on another persona when the festival is over. It’s beautiful with or without the festival.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, deebeedoobee said:

I live here cos it’s where I have my house. The festival is an added bonus. A rather nice added bonus. And yes the site is our regular running/ dog walking track. It takes on another persona when the festival is over. It’s beautiful with or without the festival.

Do the non Glastonbury goers/locals hate all the fuss?

2 minutes ago, reallife said:

No, not the ones I know. But to be fair I only know a handful. We are well looked after before, during and after the festival so locals have very little to complain about these days.

2 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

No, not the ones I know. But to be fair I only know a handful. We are well looked after before, during and after the festival so locals have very little to complain about these days.

That’s good to hear. Everything reasonable should be done to respect the local communities and livelihoods. 

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

That’s good to hear. Everything reasonable should be done to respect the local communities and livelihoods. 

Yeah, please don't upset the locals, don't take the festival away!!!!!

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Said before I had a lovely holiday in the village very near the site last summer and only found one family that didn’t like the festival. Others were actually enthusiastic about it. Locals in the pub were really nice. 

My mate who lives in Pilton said the festival supplies 24hr security guards  out side his home during the festival, I’m not sure if he is winding me up but he did mention most of the villagers get in the spirt of it all.

5 minutes ago, keepad said:

My mate who lives in Pilton said the festival supplies 24hr security guards  out side his home during the festival, I’m not sure if he is winding me up but he did mention most of the villagers get in the spirt of it all.

He is telling the truth. We have 2 security guards opposite our house from the Saturday before the festival. We keep them topped with tea and coffee. We also get street lighting for about 2/3 weeks! Such luxury 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, deebeedoobee said:

He is telling the truth. We have 2 security guards opposite our house from the Saturday before the festival. We keep them topped with tea and coffee. We also get street lighting for about 2/3 weeks! Such luxury 

do you ever get any security issues now the fence is up or is this consigned to history now the superfence is up ? and do the villagers have a direct line to Michael if there are any issues ? ( just imagining a red old style phone on his bedside table ) :) 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

do you ever get any security issues now the fence is up or is this consigned to history now the superfence is up ? and do the villagers have a direct line to Michael if there are any issues ? ( just imagining a red old style phone on his bedside table ) :) 

Very few issues. We have a bat-line to our pop up police station in the village. The police are set up in the village hall. There’s a 24 hour help line if villagers need it. 

If there is a problem at night I suppose I could pop round to Michael’s and knock on the kitchen window but he probably wouldn’t hear. He’s tucked up in bed with his teddy, eye mask and Steve wonder on repeat.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Very few issues. We have a bat-line to our pop up police station in the village. The police are set up in the village hall. There’s a 24 hour help line if villagers need it. 

If there is a problem at night I suppose I could pop round to Michael’s and knock on the kitchen window but he probably wouldn’t hear. He’s tucked up in bed with his teddy, eye mask and Steve wonder on repeat.

:) cheers ... i did think id read somewhere about the phone line ... but didn't have the intimate details of the teddy and eye mask :) 

17 minutes ago, keepad said:

I know that to be honest as I happen to be friends with the boss of one of the security companies that do the outside security..

BBP Security.. Are these the ones that do your area Dee??? 

1 minute ago, guypjfreak said:

I know that to be honest as I happen to be friends with the boss of one of the security companies that do the outside security..

BBP Security.. Are these the ones that do your area Dee??? 

I don’t know who they work for. I do know that quite a few come down from Scotland to do it.

4 hours ago, reallife said:

I would suspect most that live there now knew about the festival before they moved there!

Not like the problems ME had in the early 90s as shown in that documentary with Anne Goode and the William's brothers...

4 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

I don’t know who they work for. I do know that quite a few come down from Scotland to do it.

Knowing how close you are you could probably make a paper airplane with a message on it 

Something like hey Michael can you tell me when pearl jam will be playing.... Just so I can shut guy up lol. 

And these are from Wolverhampton.. Must be quite a few companies tho 

Pearl-Jam-Pinkpop-1992.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, reallife said:

I live 25 mins away and year - round I like to have a quick visit at least once a month. I did move from Bristol to where I am now not because of Worthy Farm but I feel daft enough to say that there was definitely a factor in buying here. (Pathetic I know). I like to go regularly just because I get the buzz even during down time. Usually post pictures to Twitter aswell which doesn’t necessarily have a big audience during mid Jan ?

52 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

My mates who live in Glastonbury itself say ME is pretty accessible. There's one local pub he eats in a lot and they always see him around.

If I won the lottery I would absolutely buy a Pilton pad. I occasionally try and convince my husband it would be a good idea as it is. Like I have the weather set up all year round I also have a Pilton Right Move alert set up. If you've moved there in the last 5 years chances are I've looked around your house (in photo form at least!) 

7 hours ago, Cooter said:

As lovely as Pilton looks, I think if I moved there it may take a bit of the magic away for me.

Perhaps, one of the biggest buzzes for me every time is the first sight of this huge, fully-formed festival (I still vividly recall my feelings the first year I clapped eyes on it), which I’d miss if I lived in Pilton.

also, you’ve got an amazing 3+ days of music in your back yard most years, but little convenient opportunity for the rest of the year in seeing bands. 

I’d love to spend one summer in Pilton to watch the festival develop every day, it is so pretty, there’s a stunning house up for sale close to Pilton, ‘Avalon Cottage’, as soon as I have the money I’m buying it! (i.e. never). 

99E374D2-0891-4E02-A05E-76D545A69703.jpeg

Edited by Avalon_Fields

58 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Perhaps, one of the biggest buzzes for me every time is the first sight of this huge, fully-formed festival (I still vividly recall my feelings the first year I clapped eyes on it), which I’d miss if I lived in Pilton.

also, you’ve got an amazing 3+ days of music in your back yard most years, but little convenient opportunity for the rest of the year in seeing bands. 

I’d love to spend one summer in Pilton to watch the festival develop every day, it is so pretty, there’s a stunning house up for sale close to Pilton, ‘Avalon Cottage’, as soon as I have the money I’m buying it! (i.e. never). 

Are you saying we have little else here in terms of live music? Apart from the working mans club which has bands most weekends plus the Pilton party auditions plus emerging talent comp finals, Pilton party itself,  plus bands in the pub at least once a month plus music everyday of the week in pubs in the town 3 miles away

but yeah apart from the festival nothing happens in Pilton

10 hours ago, gigpusher said:

If I won the lottery I would absolutely buy a Pilton pad. I occasionally try and convince my husband it would be a good idea as it is. Like I have the weather set up all year round I also have a Pilton Right Move alert set up. If you've moved there in the last 5 years chances are I've looked around your house (in photo form at least!) 

Lucky for me at least you have not seen inside my hovel