Hawkwind confirmed to headline Acoustic Stage

StoneCircle

16 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I bet very few will believe who the mystery guest was

We saw them Saturday 24th of August 1985 Crystal Place and the person not listed on the flyer
was Vera Lynn and at the end she sung Old Lang Syne and Hawkwind  and all the others { who were still able to stand } joined her on stage.

they would not allow drink in the park so we left someone outside and told him to wait so many minutes and then we would call him about 200 feet from the exit - once he heard our voices he tossed over the cans - sure not sophisticated but it worked. He then used his ticket and joined us.

It was a great day and lucky enough one of our friends lived close so we had a Overnight party.

londonCP.thumb.gif.eae17fa8ba4ff7f71d80c0dfccd631d0.gif

Blimey - I was there as well. Can't say I remember seeing half those acts now (were the indeed really on that day?) but I do remember the singalong with Vera!

5 hours ago, sparkythetortoise said:

Blimey - I was there as well. Can't say I remember seeing half those acts now (were the indeed really on that day?) but I do remember the singalong with Vera!

well there was a big bunch of us so to be honest most of the time we were not bothering who was on the stage as we were having our own party .

we would have watched some of Dr. & The Medics all of Hawkwind - Lemmy and Vera Lynn

it was actually the first time I had walked into that park but a year or so later they had a fireworks display so got to explore it more.

what cracked up up was that it was a anti-heroin concert when in fact most people appeared to be out their faces.

if I ever get round to processing some negatives I know I have shots from it.

Just now, rivalschools.price said:

It’s on the Acoustic stage so presumably it will be an acoustic set.

ive never seen anyone on that stage, has anyone played an electric set there?

Just about everyone who you'd expect to.

Think of "Acoustic" as indicating the type of acts typically booked, rather than suggesting that people aren't going to use certain instruments.

39 minutes ago, incident said:

Just about everyone who you'd expect to.

Think of "Acoustic" as indicating the type of acts typically booked, rather than suggesting that people aren't going to use certain instruments.

Ah right, I naturally thought it was bands sitting on stools with acoustic guitars playing stripped down versions of their songs. 

This happens in other festivals and the bands usually play a full regular set on another stage(to be honest I’ve only watched a few bands so this as it’s not usually that exciting)

So, does this mean that Hawkwind will play their regular full band set in the acoustic stage? If so the fact that they have been announced is even better news.

35 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Ah right, I naturally thought it was bands sitting on stools with acoustic guitars playing stripped down versions of their songs.

The only act I've ever seen in there that was noticeably stripped down compared to other times I've seen them was Ray Davies who turned up with just him and a guitarist - and even then I think that's just what he was doing at the time rather than anything unusual.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:55 PM, tjamest said:

Hawkwind was my first ever gig at Chatham Central hall in 1975 when i was 14

Dont remember much apart from-

They seemed to play Sonic Attack for ever

They didn't play Silver Machine,

Stacia danced naked but i had been too vain to wear my Joe 90 national health specs and couldn't see her from my balcony  seat.

We all got free badges from a big bag that was passed from seat to seat which at the time i put down to a nice hippy gesture, but in retrospect they were probably nicked from the merch stand

Although Lemmy had been sacked the previous year they were still selling his "Lemmy a quid til Friday "T shirts.

44 years later it may be time to see them again

I was quite surprised to see that they have been playing Silver Machine lately.

I was always under the impression that they didn’t play it live anymore and hadn’t for years.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:17 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

There used to be a band called the pink fairies who used to play with hawkwind, they had a couple of tracks on the Glastonbury Fayre triple album. Wonder if they are still going? 

They released a new album last year, only one original member, no idea what it was like. I saw them back in Glasgow late 70s. 

Hawkwind remain one of the most enduring one of a kind acts out there. Dave Brock is the only member that has been there in every incarnation from day one. This does not, of course, include the many bands formed from former members such has Hawklords, Nik Turner's numerous bands, etc. Clearly there has been some kind of making up between the festival organisers and the band as Hawkwind hadn't played Glastonbury since 1999 (I believe) and a they hit a late career peak about two years ago with a hit album (The Machine Stops) and a line up which was every bit as powerful as the early 70's. The live shows were about as good as anything else you might see.  Any other band would have been snapped up by GFL but they weren't so the bad blood must have been still there. All I can say is, go and see them. Nothing is off limits as far as the set is concerned. You are likely to see a career spanning greatest hits and some newer stuff and there WILL be a very trippy hi-definition visual display which will spin you into an alternate universe on a couple of pints.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Martin Ashford said:

Hawkwind remain one of the most enduring one of a kind acts out there. Dave Brock is the only member that has been there in every incarnation from day one. This does not, of course, include the many bands formed from former members such has Hawklords, Nik Turner's numerous bands, etc. Clearly there has been some kind of making up between the festival organisers and the band as Hawkwind hadn't played Glastonbury since 1999 (I believe) and a they hit a late career peak about two years ago with a hit album (The Machine Stops) and a line up which was every bit as powerful as the early 70's. The live shows were about as good as anything else you might see.  Any other band would have been snapped up by GFL but they weren't so the bad blood must have been still there. All I can say is, go and see them. Nothing is off limits as far as the set is concerned. You are likely to see a career spanning greatest hits and some newer stuff and there WILL be a very trippy hi-definition visual display which will spin you into an alternate universe on a couple of pints.

Sounds great, I’ll be there.

I expect it will be rammed, will have to get in early, it would have been better to have them on West Holts or the Park IMO, I know they don't really fit in with the usual program there but if it's really rammed in the acoustic you can't see much. Art Garfunkel springs to mind.

6 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

I expect it will be rammed, will have to get in early, it would have been better to have them on West Holts or the Park IMO, I know they don't really fit in with the usual program there but if it's really rammed in the acoustic you can't see much. Art Garfunkel springs to mind.

One of my least favourite venues basically because of the slight slope (at least I think there’s a slope) that causes restricted views from the rear of the tent. Especially for us who are vertically challenged. West holts or park at night sounds ideal to me 

18 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

One of my least favourite venues basically because of the slight slope (at least I think there’s a slope) that causes restricted views from the rear of the tent. Especially for us who are vertically challenged. West holts or park at night sounds ideal to me 

Gotta say the sound quality is *very* variable up there too, which puts me off

But in favour of its name, I've seen some stunning acoustic sets there, such as Nick Lowe, Andy Fairweather-Low and Paul Carrack together, Suzanne Vega (who I think has played more than once), and Roxanne de Bastion. The sound for all of them was fab! I think its setup does suit a less-heavy sound (sorry Hawkwindies! Maybe it'll be all sorted out this year, and the bubbles and nude dancers will definitely help)