Hawkwind confirmed to headline Acoustic Stage

StoneCircle

I bet very few will believe who the mystery guest was

We saw them Saturday 24th of August 1985 Crystal Place and the person not listed on the flyer
was Vera Lynn and at the end she sung Old Lang Syne and Hawkwind  and all the others { who were still able to stand } joined her on stage.

they would not allow drink in the park so we left someone outside and told him to wait so many minutes and then we would call him about 200 feet from the exit - once he heard our voices he tossed over the cans - sure not sophisticated but it worked. He then used his ticket and joined us.

It was a great day and lucky enough one of our friends lived close so we had a Overnight party.

londonCP.thumb.gif.eae17fa8ba4ff7f71d80c0dfccd631d0.gif

2 hours ago, tjamest said:

Hawkwind was my first ever gig at Chatham Central hall in 1975 when i was 14

Dont remember much apart from-

They seemed to play Sonic Attack for ever

They didn't play Silver Machine,

Stacia danced naked but i had been too vain to wear my Joe 90 national health specs and couldn't see her from my balcony  seat.

We all got free badges from a big bag that was passed from seat to seat which at the time i put down to a nice hippy gesture, but in retrospect they were probably nicked from the merch stand

Although Lemmy had been sacked the previous year they were still selling his "Lemmy a quid til Friday "T shirts.

44 years later it may be time to see them again

My first ever gig, at the Glasgow Apollo, 18th September 1977, supported by a band called Bethnal. They were trying to reinvent themselves as punk and did not play Silver Machine. I was 14 and my parents viewed it as low risk. On a boozy Friday night I am feeling a nostalgic old fecker.

F73E44B7-FB0F-476E-B7C5-83F57F7351E4.jpeg

3 minutes ago, GMF said:

My first ever gig, at the Glasgow Apollo, 18th September 1977, supported by a band called Bethnal. They were trying to reinvent themselves as punk and did not play Silver Machine. I was 14 and my parents viewed it as low risk. On a boozy Friday night I am feeling a nostalgic old fecker.

F73E44B7-FB0F-476E-B7C5-83F57F7351E4.jpeg

I just loved those Apollo ticket stubs. Got a collection of them somewhere in my loft. 

6 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Acoustic needs a New Bands -> John Peel type rebrand. One of the great incongruities of the current festival.

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

true. It's about as acoustic as much as jazzworld was jazz.

6 hours ago, Wooderson said:

"Old Duffers Corner".

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Saga Holidays Stage

nincompoops.....

22 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I just loved those Apollo ticket stubs. Got a collection of them somewhere in my loft. 

Not my actual ticket, long lost. This is from a great site if you frequented The Apollo 

http://www.glasgowapollo.com/index.asp?s_id=1&m_id=9&action=show&band_ID=10&searchtext=

Edited by GMF

Now, there's a coincidence.

I was due to watch a Hawkwind tribute band (Warlords) at my regular Friday night haunt tonight. Brilliant they are. One of my favourite bands on the local scene. With screen projections and proper old seventies synths and a theramin. Make an effort they do.

Been looking forward to it for days when I saw they were listed I had. Get one weekend off a month when I can really let loose on a Friday night I do. Working the last time they'd played there I was.

Rushed there straight from the end of my shift I did and they'd bloody cancelled.

Fuckers.

Right bad mood in I was but this news has cheered me up it has (Great thread SC).

(I seem to be channeling Yoda for some reason).

Hawkwind were a regular pilgrImage 'round our way as a teenager (and also Motorhead but not as frequent). Not many bands played in that box that is South of London/East of Brighton (still true). My first "stuck overnight in a strange town 'cause I missed the last train home 'cause they came on late" experience was with Hawkwind (I went on to have a few others).

Do we know which version of Hawkwind we're getting?.

3 hours ago, Cooter said:

Thats a great story glasto-worker thanks, sounds like a dream I'd like to have. And Vera Lynn the mystery guest on that line-up, of course, so obvious! Absolutely brilliant, wish I'd been there.

it has been a great source of ' bet winning ' as people don't believe me

although it has been covered in a few web sites 

http://www.fatreg.com/picsantiheroin/CPalace.html

and by the way although the crowd was puzzled many did stay for Vera Lynn and she went down well.

We certainly did not have a clue she was going to be there but as it was only a few hundred yards from a mates flat we certainly was not going to miss it.

I reckon they did not list her on the flyer as they knew it would put many people off.

Christ sake where else can you see Vera Lynn and the drummer for Hawkwind playing drums at 
the same time.?

3 hours ago, Martin Ashford said:

THIS is the best news I've heard all week!!! I bloody love Hawkwind. I've seen them more times than any other band or artist. I lost count years ago. See you there, whoever else is playing.

Same here, seen them loads more than any band, got a ticket for the autumn 50th your, but no way will I miss this! I hope to be middle of the front row with a big cheesy grin on my face! Hope it doesn’t clash with The Cure though!

I remember first seeing them 50 years ago playing at a house party in Bath at the home of Charlie Ware (look him up with Morris Minors if the name doesn't mean anything).  Couldn't have been more than 10 ft from Stacia.  Something you don't forget.

19 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

I remember first seeing them 50 years ago playing at a house party in Bath at the home of Charlie Ware (look him up with Morris Minors if the name doesn't mean anything).  Couldn't have been more than 10 ft from Stacia.  Something you don't forget.

Nearest I got was a picture in melody maker.  Mummy wouldn’t let me buy tickets for a gig. 

19 hours ago, youngatheart said:

To all the doubters this is why you can never give your tickets up ........im well made up 

Its also the reason why I don't volunteer with Oxfam at Glastonbury even though I could and save a shedload of money . There is always the chance of something unmissable on at the same time as your shift.