Oasis - were they the biggest band in the UK since the Beatles?

chatty

33 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dont think so buddy - women dont listen to Radiohead.

Or Oasis for that matter.

They just listen to manufactured pop music with no depth or soul.

Back to the Emily / Gammons thread with you!

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

I missed this thread the first time round. They weren’t even the biggest band of their day - Depeche Mode sold nearly twice as many records. And were far more innovative and influential. 

Before I say anything I would like to caveat I hate oasis. It’s boring music for boring people

However if they were to reunite I would guess it would be the most in demand tour in the uk of all time. I would like to be wrong about this but I really believe they would sell out Wembley and the etihad many many times over

no idea how popular they are outside of the uk though

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Never really thought they were good live. Saw them 4 times I think and always a bit meh.

But listened to Dig Out Your Soul recently and enjoyed it. Not sure I ever played the album when it came out so first time I've heard it.

Problem with Oasis is that its the same few chords and the lyrics are shite so they get boring real quick.

Edited by The Nal

Saw them a few times over the years.

On a couple of occasions they were outstanding, and a couple they were poor. 

Glastonbury 2004, thought it was the best thing ever at the time, I was a big fan and was very drunk. In retrospect, it was bad.

Knebworth WAS amazing though. 

I would be all over a reunion though.

Biggest guitar band since the Beatles? IMO, yes.

People either forget or weren't round to see how inescapably massive they were in the 90's. The nation had been taken over by Britpop and lad culture and the Gallagher brothers were front and centre of that. I vividly remember Liam cutting his hair short being front page tabloid news, every fight and public outburst between the two was a massive deal and they were fucking everywhere. Noel was at #10 partying with Blair, Liam was shacking up with Patsy Kensit, they were sniping at their rivals all the time...

They had the success musically too to back it up - the likes of Wonderwall, Live Forever and DLBIA were songs that helped define the decade, they had the biggest selling gigs ever (at the time) at Knebworth and Be Here Now was (at the time) the fastest selling album of all time. The launch of BHN was treated as a national event and the fallout from it flopping was so huge it contributed to the crash of Britpop altogether.

People can scoff at the music all they want, but no guitar band captured the public mood the way they did since the Beatles and given the clamour for them to return no band has since.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Biggest guitar band since the Beatles? IMO, yes.

People either forget or weren't round to see how inescapably massive they were in the 90's. The nation had been taken over by Britpop and lad culture and the Gallagher brothers were front and centre of that. I vividly remember Liam cutting his hair short being front page tabloid news, every fight and public outburst between the two was a massive deal and they were fucking everywhere. Noel was at #10 partying with Blair, Liam was shacking up with Patsy Kensit, they were sniping at their rivals all the time...

They had the success musically too to back it up - the likes of Wonderwall, Live Forever and DLBIA were songs that helped define the decade, they had the biggest selling gigs ever (at the time) at Knebworth and Be Here Now was (at the time) the fastest selling album of all time. The launch of BHN was treated as a national event and the fallout from it flopping was so huge it contributed to the crash of Britpop altogether.

People can scoff at the music all they want, but no guitar band captured the public mood the way they did since the Beatles and given the clamour for them to return no band has since.

Whilst I agree with this wholeheartedly, the whole Britpop/Oasis hype was very UK-centric as I recall it.  Whilst they did have global success to a degree, I don't think they were as big in Europe and the US as they were over here.  Around the time of Knebworth a pal of mine went to see them in Spain and I recall him saying at was an Arena sized venue and wasn't sold out.  Seem to recall them being huge in South America though, strangely.

If you analysed it globally, I'd expect they weren't as big as many other artists before or since.

33 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Whilst I agree with this wholeheartedly, the whole Britpop/Oasis hype was very UK-centric as I recall it.  Whilst they did have global success to a degree, I don't think they were as big in Europe and the US as they were over here.  Around the time of Knebworth a pal of mine went to see them in Spain and I recall him saying at was an Arena sized venue and wasn't sold out.  Seem to recall them being huge in South America though, strangely.

If you analysed it globally, I'd expect they weren't as big as many other artists before or since.

I was on holiday in Paris with my family when Be Here Now came out......it was advertised EVERYWHERE on public transport and the mass hype around it was a pretty big deal, you got to remember there weren't many outlets for music at the time bar TOTP, the Chart Show or those who had SKY even then only had two channels.

If a band had something (an album) to promote, you fucking knew about it!