2020 headliners

jj200

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

It was meant to be about which artist has played Glastonbury the most. I linked it because someone said that 4 years is too short since Coldplay last played, but apparently they've played four times in ten years (according to the article), meaning they very well could be on the cards for 2020. The article is gashly-written and at a second glance I think she's messed up the years and timings somewhat. 

Coldplay headlined 2002, 2005, 2011, and 2016, so I don't know what she's written now.

But they've re-headlined after 3, 6, 5, so after 4 years isn't without a chance.

That article is full of inaccuracies. Coldplay first played in 1999, not 2009. Oasis didn’t headline in 1984. 1995 was Elvis Costello’s 4th headline performance etc etc

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Lizzo wants a word

Lizzo's highest placing in the UK singles chart is the same as Foals'. Not that that will be a fact for much longer.

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

It was meant to be about which artist has played Glastonbury the most. I linked it because someone said that 4 years is too short since Coldplay last played, but apparently they've played four times in ten years (according to the article), meaning they very well could be on the cards for 2020. The article is gashly-written and at a second glance I think she's messed up the years and timings somewhat. 

Coldplay headlined 2002, 2005, 2011, and 2016, so I don't know what she's written now.

But they've re-headlined after 3, 6, 5, so after 4 years isn't without a chance.

Coldplay usually do more in between slots than they have this time. See the Coldplay thingy:

• 2000: Parachutes
  • 2002: Glasto hl 1*
  • 2002 (Aug): Rush of Blood
  • 2005 (Jun): X&Y
  • 2005: Glasto hl 2
  • 2008: Viva la Vida
  • 2011: Glasto hl 3*
  • 2011 (Oct): Mylo Xyloto
  • 2014: Ghost Stories
  • 2015: Head full of shit
  • 2016: Glasto hl 4
    * denotes a performance that focused on a forthcoming album

So even if they were to push an album out in the interim, 2020 would be a reemergence with relatively little. Also, 2016 was pretty out there in regards to special guests and tributes as well, like they'd already done the Coldplay at Glastonbury show enough times. I'm betting against it.

11 minutes ago, henry bear said:

That article is full of inaccuracies. Coldplay first played in 1999, not 2009. Oasis didn’t headline in 1984. 1995 was Elvis Costello’s 4th headline performance etc etc

Yep, only read the Coldplay bit cos that's all I was interested in to see how possible a 2020 return would be. Seems like it's chock full of mistakes

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Lizzo's highest placing in the UK singles chart is the same as Foals'. Not that that will be a fact for much longer.

Coldplay usually do more in between slots than they have this time. See the Coldplay thingy:

• 2000: Parachutes
  • 2002: Glasto hl 1*
  • 2002 (Aug): Rush of Blood
  • 2005 (Jun): X&Y
  • 2005: Glasto hl 2
  • 2008: Viva la Vida
  • 2011: Glasto hl 3*
  • 2011 (Oct): Mylo Xyloto
  • 2014: Ghost Stories
  • 2015: Head full of shit
  • 2016: Glasto hl 4
    * denotes a performance that focused on a forthcoming album

So even if they were to push an album out in the interim, 2020 would be a reemergence with relatively little. Also, 2016 was pretty out there in regards to special guests and tributes as well, like they'd already done the Coldplay at Glastonbury show enough times. I'm betting against it.

Where is this Coldplay thingy? Are there more thingies (thingi) for other bands?

19 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

That article is full of so many errors I don't think it's worth anyone's time reading it.

Aye that's what I meant. "2019 marks 10 years since Coldplay first performed at Glastonbury."

Yikes.

Edited by jparx

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Where is this Coldplay thingy? Are there more thingies (thingi) for other bands?

No I just made it right now.

Just now, jparx said:

Aye that's what I meant. "2019 marks 10 years since Coldplay first performed at Glastonbury."

What on earth were they even trying to say with that?? Yikes.

"20 years", I would imagine.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Wow wrong twice, really messed that already poor joke up.

You're roasting Foals the hardest out of everyone.

28 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Turns out this is a fantastic answer.  Rebellion (Lies) went top 20, but otherwise they're also lacking a solid success.

You don't remember people going on about that? Lucky.

Mumford & Sons never had a top 10 single. The 1975 don't, and likely won't by the time they headline. On the flipside, you have Tion Wayne and Steel Banglez performing their top 10 hits on Silver Hayes.

27 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Mumford & Sons never had a top 10 single. The 1975 don't, and likely won't by the time they headline. 

Being generous, we're not talking about top 10 singles. Or even top 40 singles. Just a song that has communicated into the wider world beyond the fanbase. Arcade Fire had Wake Up. Mumford and the lads had I Will Wait. Even Fela Kuti had Expensive Shit.  At this point Foals are only famous for having no fucking songs. 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Soz no.  Wake Up is easily available by osmosis. Wouldn't be able to hum My Number with a gun at my temple.

My Number was the Glastonbury theme tune for 2013. It definitely reached well out of their own fandom. I'm not saying that this fact makes them a headliner but you're clearly out of step here.