2020 headliners

jj200

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Either some kind of secret set or Chris Martin following on from this year and popping up wherever he can to ruin certified bangers. Really can't see them headlining again so soon, although they obviously will at some point in the near future - probably the following year.

A secret set could well be it for them - although I suspect that would be carnage if word got out given their general popularity.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Rumoured for Pilton Party.

Can you direct me to the source of this rumour 

- - - 

Do you think Glastonbury are trying to get on the good side of some touring bands just in case Fleetwood etc say no again? 

Or maybe that now V is gone the Killers and Kings of Leon have empty summers and have been knocking on G’s door.

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

That's what they said about Stormzy, Jay-Z, Metallica, Mumford n Sons, Kasabian... :P 

I mean not really but ok. 

Metallica and Rammstein are not at all comparable. At least with Metallica there was a slight bit of crossover to the mainstream (also the fact that they are probably one of the only meal bands that the radio 1 crowd would pay attention to).

Rammstein while being spectacle just would never be booked. They would never be in a position where they feel the need to book Rammstein either. 

Edited by Matt42

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I mean not really but ok. 

Metallica and Rammstein are not at all comparable. At least with Metallica there was a slight bit of crossover to the mainstream (also the fact that they are probably one of the only meal bands that the radio 1 crowd would pay attention to).

Rammstein while being spectacle just would never be booked. They would never be in a position where they felt the need to book Rammstein either. 

There were definitely several naysayers for all of those acts. I'm surprised you don't remember the fuss surrounding Jay-Z and Metallica. Even people on this forum were up in arms about it. Rammstein would be an edgy booking if the festival had any real conviction when they talk about "breaking new ground", and there would be a pretty sizeable crowd if they did decide to go down that route - it's not all about Radio One, they do not call the shots and never have done. I don't think it's likely, but Rammstein would smash it if they were asked. 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

9 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

There were definitely several naysayers for all of those acts. I'm surprised you don't remember the fuss surrounding Jay-Z and Metallica. Even people on this forum were up in arms about it. Rammstein would be an edgy booking if the festival had any real conviction when they talk about "breaking new ground", and there would be a pretty sizeable crowd if they did decide to go down that route - it's not all about Radio One, they do not call the shots and never have done. I don't think it's likely, but Rammstein would smash it if they were asked. 

The naysaying is a bit different in those cases though. The backlash to the Jay Z booking (partially) was founded on Glastonbury booking something other than a rock band.

Metallica I agree was a strange booking. However, there is more to justify the booking than Rammstein. Metallica have grown (almost) beyond their metal roots and became a household name even in places where metal music is ignored. Plus, Metallica haven’t dwindled in size at all and are still a mega ticket shifter festival headline booking. 

Outside of their own community a lot of people simply would not know who Rammstein are. Plus anyone who is on the fence would only be wowed by pyrotechnics as the language barrier would surely put a lot of people off. They work at download because thats still within their stomping ground.

I don’t doubt that if they played they would smash it but there’s no space for them at the festival. They wouldn’t be booked as a pyramid headliner and any lower slot would see a cut to their stage show (which would... let’s be honest) be a major selling factor to anyone who hasn’t heard of them.

They’d also be the biggest other stage headliner (in terms of international size) that Glastonbury has ever had. Unless the other stage is now going to start staging major headlining bands.

Rammstein are in the basket along with NIN, Tool, Iron Maiden, System of a Down. would probably put on a great set but unless something major happens to Glastonbury’s booking policy it’s not going to happen.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Rammstein are in the basket along with NIN, Tool, Iron Maiden, System of a Down. would probably put on a great set but unless something major happens to Glastonbury’s booking policy it’s not going to happen.

NIN don't really fit in with that lot as 1. They've already played Glastonbury/headlined Other 2. They're still about the same size as they were back then and aren't out and out festival headliners and 3. They don't fall directly in to the metal bracket and also have an electronic element to them that would fit in with the Other's usual headline bookings. Still don't think it's gonna happen unfortunately, but unlike the others they're not completely out of the realms of possibility, and if one of them or the festival wanted it to happen I'm sure a conversation could be had.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

NIN don't really fit in with that lot as 1. They've already played Glastonbury/headlined Other 2. They're still about the same size as they were back then and aren't out and out festival headliners and 3. They don't fall directly in to the metal bracket and also have an electronic element to them that would fit in with the Other's usual headline bookings. Still don't think it's gonna happen unfortunately, but unlike the others they're not completely out of the realms of possibility, and if one of them or the festival wanted it to happen I'm sure a conversation could be had.

For one thing NIN have had hit singles in the UK.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

What in the Mandela effect! When have NIN played Glastonbury?

EDIT: News to me that NIN did it in 2000. Learn something new every day 

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The naysaying is a bit different in those cases though. The backlash to the Jay Z booking (partially) was founded on Glastonbury booking something other than a rock band.

Metallica I agree was a strange booking. However, there is more to justify the booking than Rammstein. Metallica have grown (almost) beyond their metal roots and became a household name even in places where metal music is ignored. Plus, Metallica haven’t dwindled in size at all and are still a mega ticket shifter festival headline booking. 

Outside of their own community a lot of people simply would not know who Rammstein are. Plus anyone who is on the fence would only be wowed by pyrotechnics as the language barrier would surely put a lot of people off. They work at download because thats still within their stomping ground.

I don’t doubt that if they played they would smash it but there’s no space for them at the festival. They wouldn’t be booked as a pyramid headliner and any lower slot would see a cut to their stage show (which would... let’s be honest) be a major selling factor to anyone who hasn’t heard of them.

They’d also be the biggest other stage headliner (in terms of international size) that Glastonbury has ever had. Unless the other stage is now going to start staging major headlining bands.

Yeah, was just a flippant joke comment really about the daytime chair sitters, didn't mean to get into a big discussion tbh :D 

I don't think they'd actually get booked either, but I still think if the festival wanted to, they could mix it up and do what they wanted, rather than listen to all the people who thought that rap didn't belong, grime didn't belong, and metal didn't belong in respect to the names I mentioned before. Still a dream at this moment still unfortunately 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

What in the Mandela effect! When have NIN played Glastonbury?

How come I never knew they did it? I thought they were always considered one that should do it!

Played in 2000 (opposite current Other mainstays Chemical Brothers on the Pyramid funnily enough), and that was back when they and their shows were significantly more 'metal' than they are these days. There's not much reason for them to be booked again these days other than that it would be a great booking, especially now that Glastonbury is embracing the heavy side of music a little more post-Metallica. We're probably not ever gonna get another metal Pyramid headliner, but there's a pretty perfect Other headliner right there if they fancy going down that route again. 

11 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I imagine Rammstein would have as much interest in playing Glastonbury as Glastonbury would have booking them.

Haven’t they always been said to not like it over here much? 

They much prefer their own gigs than festivals, cos of the time and effort it takes to organise and insert all the pyro/stage set up/massive cum cannon/cooking pot ?? they’re not very talky on stage whether in English (hardly at all, ever) or in German (you might get a Guten tag!). I think if they were offered a spot - and as the Other headliner, I agree, would be the only way it could realistically happen - then they’d consider it. They do like doing different things: they’ve headlined Madison Square Gardens as a German industrial metal band tbf, they’re well used to breaking down metaphorical barriers! 

Two separate bits of theatrical entertainment, tbf - the cum cannon is ridden by Till, the lead singer, and fires foam into the front ten rows of the crowd. 

The cooking pot is used to heat up the keyboard player ?? It’s all very stupid, and magnificently entertaining