2020 headliners

jj200

5 hours ago, Suprefan said:

The thing is, in the end, for this coming year, and being as important as can be for the festival going forward, what do you do? They can be traditional because its 50 years and nobody faults them for it. Or you  push the envelope and throw in another young act and then theres upset people yet again. Or you just throw everyone  old and new on there and call it a day. Then the fight is how everyone ends up on the poster. 

Not sure how the latter scenario is an issue - there are only 3 Headline slots and a Legend.  Probably they just want to achieve a balance.  If they have a couple of vintage acts - say Elton John and Fleetwood Mac - then it's absolutely sensible that they try to have someone like Gaga or Ariana Grande on there as well to try to de-gammon it a bit.

13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’d had a thought about the festival doing an all women day for 2020 including headliner . That would make a pretty strong statement :) 

It would also be pretty forced, we shouldn't just booked women for the sake if the argument if the right options aren't there. It's more about the headliners anyway, no one bats an eyelid if the 3rd act down for e.g. is male or female but obviously they are making a big deal out of having American female artists playing.

They will almost definitely book Dua Lipa for a high slot next year, subbing wouldn't surprise me but I think they can get her 3rd too.

Edited by thewayiam

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

It would also be pretty forced, we should just booked women for the sake if the argument if the right options aren't there. It's more about the headliners anyway, no one bats an eyelid if the 3rd act down for e.g. is male or female but obviously they are making a big deal out of having American female artists playing.

They will almost definitely book Dua Lipa for a high slot next year, subbing wouldn't surprise me but I think they can get her 3rd too.

maybe .... but there are still plenty of female act to fill the slots ... look at the Kylie / milley combo ..could also have had others on there ... I enjoyed both and really cant see it being at the detriment to the festival .... 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

maybe .... but there are still plenty of female act to fill the slots ... look at the Kylie / milley combo ..could also have had others on there ... I enjoyed both and really cant see it being at the detriment to the festival .... 

No but that's two...not 7/8 on one stage. 

I think Florence may return next year subbing, unsure she'll hit headline again but given her history I can't see her not playing.

16 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’d had a thought about the festival doing an all women day for 2020 including headliner . That would make a pretty strong statement :) 

I certainly noticed what seemed to be a higher level of female acts this year, and even though I don't always enjoy female vocals, I thought it was a really positive move. As was the inclusion of young POC, who weren't in a traditional  guitar led band. It's all about representation isn't it. An all female day would be interesting. 

No but that's two...not 7/8 on one stage. 

I think Florence may return next year subbing, unsure she'll hit headline again but given her history I can't see her not playing.

it would have an element of controversy im sure ... but the festival aren't shy of taking a risk or two .... take Stormzy ....and im sure there are plenty to choose from with a large pool being available for the 50th ... The difficulty being getting them to be the same day as im sure some tentative plans will be in place already 

1 minute ago, ktej said:

I certainly noticed what seemed to be a higher level of female acts this year, and even though I don't always enjoy female vocals, I thought it was a really positive move. As was the inclusion of young POC, who weren't in a traditional  guitar led band. It's all about representation isn't it. An all female day would be interesting. 

1 day on one stage I dont think would be an unreasonable ask :) 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

it would have an element of controversy im sure ... but the festival aren't shy of taking a risk or two .... take Stormzy ....and im sure there are plenty to choose from with a large pool being available for the 50th ... The difficulty being getting them to be the same day as im sure some tentative plans will be in place already 

Oh I know but he is male. I understand he did very well but I still stand by there is no chance he was their 1st choice without having had others before hand say no they want 2020.

Oh I know but he is male. I understand he did very well but I still stand by there is no chance he was their 1st choice without having had others before hand say no they want 2020.

the point I was making about stormzy was more that they take risks and not to do with his sex ... they could equally have taken a risk with a female ...Glastonbury are great with changing things up :) 

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Oh I know but he is male. I understand he did very well but I still stand by there is no chance he was their 1st choice without having had others before hand say no they want 2020

This seems unlikely, given that he was booked so early on (see the tweet referencing a Gallagher brother). I think he was always the plan... And what a great plan it was ?

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Booking Gaga or Ariana Grande to top the bill feels more like taking a punt on a sure thing than taking a risk.

In terms of £££, if Fleetwood Mac have actually been forked out for, does this make Gaga and/or Ariana Grande too expensive? Weren't fucking Mumford up the year of the Stones? I'm expecting a weak headliner in there somewhere...or a friend of the fest. Florence instead of Gaga/Grande maybe? But then I have absolutely no idea how much acts cost

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

In terms of £££, if Fleetwood Mac have actually been forked out for, does this make Gaga and/or Ariana Grande too expensive? Weren't fucking Mumford up the year of the Stones? I'm expecting a weak headliner in there somewhere...or a friend of the fest. Florence instead of Gaga/Grande maybe? But then I have absolutely no idea how much acts cost

If they find extra for FM, as they did for the Stones, it doesn’t mean the other two won’t receive the standard fee.

39 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

There's no point. They already book a strong female presence across the board and are hoping to keep building it. Doing a 'female-only' day makes it into a bit of a novelty, and would only get the hackles up on certain sections of the clientele who had been previously oblivious to the booking policy.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Nope because if Gaga for example agreed to do it for just the nominal fee then it's fine. For Glastonbury they can get whoever they want if the acts agree to do it for the norm....there will also be the cost of another 10k+ next time as I'm sure it's been said they are upping the capacity of the fest again to a possible 230k mark? They could get 3 blockbusters to headline if they agreed the fee....take 2010 for example, it was going to be U2, Muse and Stevie Wonder...back then that was huge. U2, Coldplay and Beyonce was still huge in 2011.....strong year for festivals that if not Reading being a bit weaker...T certainly smashed it but Glasto would have actually had Beyonce sub that year as well had the usual Prince thing come off.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

There's no point. They already book a strong female presence across the board and are hoping to keep building it. Doing a 'female-only' day makes it into a bit of a novelty, and would only get the hackles up on certain sections of the clientele who had been previously oblivious to the booking policy.

fair enough ... just something I had been pondering :) 

Woah guys

I think a lot of people are missing the point I made a few pages back

I suggested Ariana as a headliner for 2020 possibly over Gaga / Taylor

Not because of the festivals preference, nor anything to do with their respective size at the moment or who the festival would consider a bigger booking.

but because Ariana is touring at the moment, playing and headlining FESTIVALS, and actually has a festival headliner set which is being practiced etc.

Gaga isn’t touring and is probably unlikely to do so and as of now Taylor has never played a festival and made it clear that she has no interest in doing them.

Gaga / Taylor would involve the process of convincing an act to play a festival which (a) won’t be touring with festivals in mind (plus no festival show ready) and (b) they both don’t do festivals at all / very often.

With Ariana it would simply be an extra date on an already existing tour.

34 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I really don't think turning it into a gender issue helps anyone either. The vast majority of people don't consider the gender of the act as a motivating factor for going to see them. The implication by having a women's day would be that the women were picked on the basis that they were women rather than on the merits of their music.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

However neither Ariana nor Gaga were spotted loitering with intent in the vicinity of the cider bus at 2am on Monday morning.

Unconfirmed sighting that really shouldn’t be given much weight.

This is a typical efestivals point of discussion :P

”so why is Taylor swift a SR?”

”well some user on his 4th pill coming back from the SE corner saw her loitering around the cider bus”.

”was she papped at the festival at all?”

”nope... but you can’t prove he didn’t see her now can you?”

Can we nip this sighting of Taylor (which is unconfirmed) in the bud as evidence please :P