All Points East Festival 2020

7 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

They've said they want to do their own thing. 

Personally hoping they take it out of London and do Heaton Park but I think more likely they'll tag on to whatever KOL are doing at Finsbury Park and use the same set up the day before/after. 

For a second I was tired enough to think "Kings of Leon with Strokes supporting for Finsbury Park" but I doubt that would be something The Strokes would want to do. Though maybe Strokes for Community would be a possibility.

4 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Could The Strokes sell an arena tour these days? 

I reckon they could sell a larger theatres tour, which I think is something they did years ago. But maybe a core London-Birmingham-Manchester-Glasgow arena run would still sell reasonably well. I doubt they'll be down for a swift return for APE anyway, nevermind the fact the crap sound ruined it.

1 hour ago, DR OK said:

They sold out APE pretty quickly last year and looked to me like they even oversold the day.

The strokes could do a number of nights at the O2 I would have thought. Their fans will be late 20s / early 30s with disposable income - e.g. the perfect punters. Festivals would be ideal for them though as it's a high fee with minimal logistics

Yeah APE for Strokes was crazy busy. I attempted to get food in the break between Courtney Barnett and Interpol, but everywhere had enormous queues.

I imagine they have the fanbase to do an O2 group of shows but I was wondering if they had a big national fanbase now like they did in their initial 3 album phase. They probably do tbf.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

I think the Strokes’ fan base is a little older. I’m 40 and they feel like my generation...

So Tuesday = Massive Attack reveal in Time Out?

The music does travel tbf - I'm in my mid-to-late 20s and I saw people younger than me knowing the words at APE. Think the demographic that likes both WPSIAM and AM era Arctic Monkeys is prepared to make the influence jump. Or we're about to have a 2000's revival.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

Yeah APE for Strokes was crazy busy. I attempted to get food in the break between Courtney Barnett and Interpol, but everywhere had enormous queues.

I imagine they have the fanbase to do an O2 group of shows but I was wondering if they had a big national fanbase now like they did in their initial 3 album phase. They probably do tbf.

The music does travel tbf - I'm in my mid-to-late 20s and I saw people younger than me knowing the words at APE. Think the demographic that likes both WPSIAM and AM era Arctic Monkeys is prepared to make the influence jump. Or we're about to have a 2000's revival.

Their standout album came out when I was 21 so definitely popular among my demographic.

2000s retro revival? Feck me, time passes quickly! 

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Their standout album came out when I was 21 so definitely popular among my demographic.

2000s retro revival? Feck me, time passes quickly! 

Tbf its felt like there's been an 80's revival since about 2007, so it would be about time for some other attention aha.

Yeah I remember reading Meet Me In The Bathroom and there was this total sense of hysteria both in and out of the band's inner circle when Is This It dropped and it became huge. Worthy of that attention, mind - holds up really well as a good album.

Edited by charlierc

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

Tbf its felt like there's been an 80's revival since about 2007, so it would be about time for some other attention aha.

Yeah I remember reading Meet Me In The Bathroom and there was this total sense of hysteria both in and out of the band's inner circle when Is This It dropped and it became huge.

There wasn't THAT much fuss over This Is it at the time. Only in indie circles. Not really noticed much by the British public. And then over time, their reputation grew and sales grew of that album in particular.

It did very badly in the US initially.

13 minutes ago, xxialac said:

There wasn't THAT much fuss over This Is it at the time. Only in indie circles. Not really noticed much by the British public. And then over time, their reputation grew and sales grew of that album in particular.

It did very badly in the US initially.

I guess I forgot that bit, but that does kinda sync up - the book did go over a fairly longish term period on the Is This It campaign, and the gigs progressively getting bigger and bigger, and the hype eventually breaking through from just the indie circles. So sure, the album initially not finding as big an audience sounds about right, though I guess 20 years on there's a tendency to exaggerate timeframes in these kind of places.

I think similar happened with Hot Fuss - did go to number 1 in the UK but something like 6 months after it came out, while Mr Brightside initially didn't chart that highly before getting top 10 on the re-release and now seemingly never leaving the top 100.

26 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So Tame Impala, Kraftwerk, Lana, and Massive Attack. Who are we thinking for the remaining two? Wouldn't surprise me if they have a lad day, someone like Courteeners headlining tbh

Yeah, lad stuff in general seems to sell tickets right across the board. Some sort of Courteeners/Paul Weller/Doves type bill would do very well.

Most of the rock and metal bands around this year seem to be tied up in Download/R&L/elsewhere so I can't imagine who they'd book if they did a heavier day.

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

Yeah, lad stuff in general seems to sell tickets right across the board.

Not in London it doesn't. Courteeners can't headline this, and Liam Fray called the festival 'absolute shit houses' just last year.

36 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So Tame Impala, Kraftwerk, Lana, and Massive Attack. Who are we thinking for the remaining two?

The National returning seems like a clear option now.

Not that Lana Del Rey would come cheap but I think that they must have a wad of cash still lying around if they were going to try and convince Arcade Fire to come on board. If that Arcade Fire rumour is dead (no reason to think it is yet, I guess) I would hope that AEG are still trying to get someone to come over and do the one show rather than just filling in their days with any old shit.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not in London it doesn't. Courteeners can't headline this, and Liam Fray called the festival 'absolute shit houses' just last year.

The National returning seems like a clear option now.

Not that Lana Del Rey would come cheap but I think that they must have a wad of cash still lying around if they were going to try and convince Arcade Fire to come on board. If that Arcade Fire rumour is dead (no reason to think it is yet, I guess) I would hope that AEG are still trying to get someone to come over and do the one show rather than just filling in their days with any old shit.

The National doing High Violet or don't bother.

I'd say the National would be pretty much locked in – they've only done a very small/intimate London show for this most recent album so I think there'd be some demand there.

Missy Elliott was announced for Governer's Ball in NYC last week – wonder if APE could get her. Though she doesn't seem to be active at any other European festivals.

Edited by jannybruck

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

I'd say the National would be pretty much locked in – they've only done a very small/intimate London show for this most recent album so I think there'd be some demand there.

Missy Elliott was announced for Governer's Ball in NYC last week – wonder if APE could get her. Though she doesn't seem to be active at any other European festivals.

They also did a massive Hyde Park gig for this album. I suspect they could sell it reasonably well but will start to feel a bit stale by the time of APE.

Missy would either come to lots of festivals or not at all, I'd guess.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

The National doing High Violet or don't bother.

This. Been saying this a lot elsewhere but High Violet is my favourite National album and if they're going through the process of bringing it to Best Kept Secret Festival, least they can do is bring it elsewhere in Europe as well, such as here.

22 minutes ago, xxialac said:

They also did a massive Hyde Park gig for this album. I suspect they could sell it reasonably well but will start to feel a bit stale by the time of APE.

Missy would either come to lots of festivals or not at all, I'd guess.

I presume a little staleness is there given they did the very first APE plus that BST show was a sub-headline to Florence (might even have been co-headline?) but there's clearly some indication some people wanna give them the time of day given their December show in Brighton sold out even before that Hyde Park date had happened, and I think they sold most of the tix to the other UK dates on December's I Am Easy To Find run.

Certainly, the fact they're doing Primavera 2 years after their last trip to Barcelona raises the possibility they're down for this.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Arctics are still a different group to Strokes for 18-24 year olds, but like me and a friend - both 18 - went to APE and loved seeing them, interpol, raconteurs, jonny marr etc. Mostly older people than us though and I don't think many people our age are that bothered about them, none of my other friends even like Reptilia/Last Nite/Someday etc.. I think that TUI advert secured some sales honestly it got me back into them!

Whilst it was billed as "coheadliners" as far as I'm the concerned the act that plays last headlines. 

Only slight difference is when you sometimes get a wind down or dance set afterwards (2manydjs at Big Chill, or Underworld at Latitude).

The National playing would definitely get me there, hopefully a HV set (I think it would have to be anyway having headlined the other year). 

So them or Massive Attack the day after Tame please. 

The BST Florence day was a bit weird as it was originally advertised as a Florence & the Machine gig with The National supporting. I know later on they pushed the idea of "coheadling" and it started to be referred to as this. A clever marketing ploy? 

I like both and so was just pleased they were both on the same line up but as any one who went will confirm it was a Florence & the Machine headline show. I think this "co-headliner" business is just a way to massage egos. Not that I think The National are the sort to need this kind of ego stroking but do think it is abit of a  cope out as we all know who the real headliner is at the festivals/gigs we go to.

It would be intertesting if The National are back this year as so far, we dont have any form to how quickly headliners will take to return. I don't expect them to be back but it would be nice surprise if I am wrong.

• Upvote 1