All Points East Festival 2020

18 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

I wouldn’t be entirely surprised by another announcement next week. Also I wonder how this is selling so far; I seem to be getting a lot of marketing emails. I guess a lot of people will be waiting for a few more dates before they decide to book a weekend in London. 

Aye that's what I'm doing. With so many potential good days, 2 of which are already out I'll need to pick and choose what I want to go to. Also want to go to the Pearl Jam Hyde Park gig too so could do with the APE dates coming out fairly soonish.

22 minutes ago, baggie92 said:

LDR announced for a festival in France on 7th June, surely makes her even more likely for this now.

She was announced for another French festival that same weekend a while ago, so her proximity was already taken into account in predictions for this. She's also expected for Primavera that weekend. 

13 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

She was announced for another French festival that same weekend a while ago, so her proximity was already taken into account in predictions for this. She's also expected for Primavera that weekend. 

It's the same festival.

She won't play APE as they need to get the names out in the next month and after her tour is too late.

LDR gig at the O2 is sold out and so you would expect her to have maybe added an additional London date. Maybe, she is down for APE which is why not further London concerts has been announced?

I guess we will find out soon enough as surely they will want a few months to shift tickets. Or maybe they have a few really really big names that they know will sell out quickly after being announced. Although they don't seem to go for those huge names.

What do we think, one announcement each week of Jan? A flurry of names towards the end of the month?

Lana's London show sold out nearly instantly, and they didn't add an extra date on, which makes me think she was always in contention for a well-paid festival like APE.

A Lana/Twigs or Lana/HAIM kind of bill would do really well, particularly off the back of her sold out arena tour and buzz from the latest record.

4 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Lana's London show sold out nearly instantly, and they didn't add an extra date on, which makes me think she was always in contention for a well-paid festival like APE.

A Lana/Twigs or Lana/HAIM kind of bill would do really well, particularly off the back of her sold out arena tour and buzz from the latest record.

With HAIM headlining Latitude I can't see them playing APE. 

28 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Either way I'd be surprised if Lana wasn't booked in for it.

I agree she does seem the most obvious choice for them to try to get.

With 6 nights they can't really be seen not to have at least one female headliner and even just one seems a bit off these days. I feel last year they may have booked Christine & the Queens to tick a box or maybe they were just being brave and edgy. Either way it would be damn poor not to have at least one female headliner this year

Booking Lana would not just be ticking a box, she is a genuine head line act. So it would almost be stupid not to book her.

If it's not her, then I am struggling for an obvious alternative.

26 minutes ago, Dales said:

I feel last year they may have booked Christine & the Queens to tick a box or maybe they were just being brave and edgy.

This is a little unfair – she'd just come off the back of an acclaimed album and sold out a UK theatre tour which got amazing reviews and a lot of buzz, so I can see why they tried it out. It was a stretch booking and didn't quite work in the end, but she's definitely on her way to being a genuine festival headliner.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

This is a little unfair – she'd just come off the back of an acclaimed album and sold out a UK theatre tour which got amazing reviews and a lot of buzz, so I can see why they tried it out. It was a stretch booking and didn't quite work in the end, but she's definitely on her way to being a genuine festival headliner.

It's a shame her day sold so poorly, because I think her headline set was one of the best the festival has had.

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

I don't mean to knock her as an artist but when all said and done APE is a business. I don't doubt anyone on here who says she was brilliant, I just thought it was a bit of a risk (ticket sales wise) when I first saw her advertised. My comments were not supposed to reflect the quality of her material or live performances. They may have been ahead of the game in booking her which is why I said "brave and edgy" In a few years time that may look like an amazing booking. However, that will not put any more money in the pockets of APE but plenty of kudos for booking her.

There is no shortage of choice of concerts/festival days in London. APE should really be selling out all its days. However, it does not. I would not want it to go all commercial and BST like and book Taylor Swift or Little Mix but I think it needs to strengthen its headliners a little bit to ensure a long term future or go the other way and become just another niche festival that may or not be around in a few years. 

(Being selfish and living in East London, I want APE to flourish and be around for a long time. So, I want them to sell well to ensure that long time future. It's there 3rd year and so they should be upping ticket sales by now)

5 minutes ago, Dales said:

I don't mean to knock her as an artist but when all said and done APE is a business. I don't doubt anyone on here who says she was brilliant, I just thought it was a bit of a risk (ticket sales wise) when I first saw her advertised. My comments were not supposed to reflect the quality of her material or live performances. They may have been ahead of the game in booking her which is why I said "brave and edgy" In a few years time that may look like an amazing booking. However, that will not put any more money in the pockets of APE but plenty of kudos for booking her.

Totally, and I agree – I do think she was a risk and it just didn't quite pay off, sadly. I can see from a business point of view why they would've booked her because tickets for her UK tour went like hot cakes and there was a tonne of buzz from people who'd missed out, but clearly it just didn't translate enough into wanting to buy a £70+ day ticket. Was maybe too much too soon.

2 hours ago, Dales said:

I agree she does seem the most obvious choice for them to try to get.

With 6 nights they can't really be seen not to have at least one female headliner and even just one seems a bit off these days. I feel last year they may have booked Christine & the Queens to tick a box or maybe they were just being brave and edgy. Either way it would be damn poor not to have at least one female headliner this year

Booking Lana would not just be ticking a box, she is a genuine head line act. So it would almost be stupid not to book her.

If it's not her, then I am struggling for an obvious alternative.

Lizzo is a female headliner these days.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Lizzo is a female headliner these days.

I find Lizzo's fame utterly brilliant. Even if her 'newer' stuff is a bit poppy for me, 'Lizzobangers' is an absolute hammer legend of a classic! SUCH a good album.....

And it seems like only yesterday that she was supporting Har Mar Superstar at my local (Craufurd Arms, Milton Keynes) in 2013. 

Time.....it goes, dunnit?!?

Edited by retromoz