2021 Lineup

58 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Won’t be surprised if they just scrap having a heavier headliner. Biffy are at Downlaod, QOTSA don’t seem to be about, Paramore aren’t about because Hayley is touring solo. Guns are doing stadiums so won’t be doing R&L. No chance of Tool.

Also Muse seem to be on the June festival circuit, which may indicate Glastonbury. AM are supposedly doing Northern shows + Glastonbury.

Dunno who is up for R&L. I’m leaning towards Chillis, but aren’t their Euro shows in June?

The Killers are doing stadiums so I doubt it’s them.

Really can’t think of who might be in the frame for R&L. What about Kings of Leon? What are they doing?

I don't think next year is the year to try out new things, they'll stick too Indie/Rap or Pop/Rock or Metal because it will guarantee ticket sales in all different departments. I still maintain that MCR could be a shout, they finish in Europe early July but don't start in America till September 8th, using R&L as a warm up gig makes a bit of sense. 

Chilis are in Europe June/July but have nothing afterwards so they could easily be a shout. Killers, even though they are doing stadiums they also finish mid July, and I'm sure they would probably accept if Reading were to offer, especially as they probably won't go back to writing again so soon. If Muse and AM do Glasto, fair enough, I Don't think AM would be bought in this year anyways, reckon 2022 is a shout. Muse however if they are not touring I can see them doing both, even though i don't think thats happened before.

Metallica could be a shout as someone mentioned, I saw that they were back in the studio or were writing over lockdown, although it may have been about the live album being released, but it would've been 6 years since they last played. I'm not fussed about them i honestly think they're a bit bland live from watching the Glastonbury set (sorry @metallimuse) but they would sell for sure.

Or they go for a ballsy choice and a Bring Me/Foals co head or even BMTH outright. It's a risk as all above mentioned bands will definitely sell more but it keeps that heavier headliner intact.

All this being said, Rage could always still play, I know people have said they're doing arenas but they always play Reading after reforming and love the festival, Melvin loves them and if theres an agreement in place surely it can be carried over. It also saves them from getting more stick from booking another slightly unpopular choice.

Idk, we'll obviously have to wait and see but any of the above mentioned as well as QOTSA, Paramore and GnR, who are all highly unlikely will go down well with me. 

Depending on who we get this year can see it being AM, Dave/Dua Lipa and MCR or Green Day next year

Edited by Gerard the Fab

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Won’t be surprised if they just scrap having a heavier headliner. Biffy are at Downlaod, QOTSA don’t seem to be about, Paramore aren’t about because Hayley is touring solo. Guns are doing stadiums so won’t be doing R&L. No chance of Tool.

Also Muse seem to be on the June festival circuit, which may indicate Glastonbury. AM are supposedly doing Northern shows + Glastonbury.

Dunno who is up for R&L. I’m leaning towards Chillis, but aren’t their Euro shows in June?

The Killers are doing stadiums so I doubt it’s them.

Really can’t think of who might be in the frame for R&L. What about Kings of Leon? What are they doing?

There wasn't a heavier headliner in 2009. I suppose if they can't get anyone who fits that mould they'll do away with it again.

Edited by VCK

1 minute ago, VCK said:

There wasn't a heavier headliner in 2009. I suppose if they can't get anyone who fits that mould they'll do away with it again.

Kings of Leon, AM and Radiohead is very different from a proposed Stormzy, LG, rap or pop headliner

15 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Be good if it was Special Guest: The Strokes and it cuts to Melvin Benn saying they are playing.

Due to unforseen circumstances, Liam Gallaghers voice box has fallen out and I am here to inform you that the Strokes have been bought in to replace him.

13 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Definitely in the minority then you aint wrong.

New Abnormal was a brilliant album. Mixed with the classics what a set that'd be 

Blimey, thinking of any New Abnormal songs mixed in with Someday, Reptilia and Under the Cover of Darkness is make me salivate

Just now, CharlieDaRapper said:

They're going to announce the lineup in that special guest thing I reckon due to that they've stayed quiet about LG self confirming

Half an hour is a long time to announce a lineup 

Is it gonna be like Super Sunday where each band walks out one by one?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Metallica could be a shout as someone mentioned, I saw that they were back in the studio or were writing over lockdown, although it may have been about the live album being released, but it would've been 6 years since they last played. I'm not fussed about them i honestly think they're a bit bland live from watching the Glastonbury set (sorry @metallimuse) but they would sell for sure.

The Glastonbury set was a very middle of the road set list put together to not scare people away, it wasn't their typical audience so they wanted to appeal to as many people as possible.

Stick them at Reading and Leeds and they're more likely to play the actually heavy, fast songs and let their bo**ocks swing free and rock out.

Metalzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 🤘

• Upvote 1

Wonder how many of these songs will be played in 2021...

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/bv8a8w/the-top-50-greatest-landfill-indie-songs-of-all-time?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

@Gerard the Fab #1 is for you ;) 

-------

Surely the special guest thing will be an acoustic set or something like that live? No clue how big the act would be but I'm near certain it would be this. Also lineup really? surely they would announce it on the last day not the first day? and probably once people are back to school as its always announced in term time. makes way more sense imo

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

Wonder how many of these songs will be played in 2021...

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/bv8a8w/the-top-50-greatest-landfill-indie-songs-of-all-time?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

@Gerard the Fab #1 is for you ;) 

-------

Surely the special guest thing will be an acoustic set or something like that live? No clue how big the act would be but I'm near certain it would be this. Also lineup really? surely they would announce it on the last day not the first day? and probably once people are back to school as its always announced in term time. makes way more sense imo

Before I read the article it’s definitely Chelsea Dagger 

Edit: ofc it is, there’s a Rage replacement for you

Edited by Gerard the Fab
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, gfa said:

I still stand by numbers 39, 28, 21, 18, 17 & 10 as great tunes.

You may wish to debate my statement above but surely we can all agree that number 8 has absolutely no reason to be there right?

1 minute ago, metallimuse said:

I still stand by numbers 39, 28, 21, 18, 17 & 10 as great tunes.

You may wish to debate my statement above but surely we can all agree that number 8 has absolutely no reason to be there right?

Idk 28, but 29 yes please

18 prefer Bubblegum by them them

10 exceptional

and Mardy Bum is a brilliant song but I don’t know if it’s the best AM one that could go on there