How much crazier can it get!

The other Bellboy

There must be some financial reasons why they do the October sale.

1. It's in the previous tax-year to the balance payments.
  2. They know they can resell every cancelled one multiple times over.
  3. Improves the cash-flow.
  4. They're earning interest on over £6,500,00 of deposits.
  5. If 10,000 people cancel their tickets (which is a conservative estimate) then that's an extra £200,000 for free!

If 2019 is a dry one with some outstanding Headline acts and a couple of massive "surprises" then 2020 with all the media hype over the anniversary will be chaos on T-Day and an absolute F5-fest.

2 hours ago, Penrhos said:

There must be some financial reasons why they do the October sale.

1. It's in the previous tax-year to the balance payments.
  2. They know they can resell every cancelled one multiple times over.
  3. Improves the cash-flow.
  4. They're earning interest on over £6,500,00 of deposits.
  5. If 10,000 people cancel their tickets (which is a conservative estimate) then that's an extra £200,000 for free!

they used to do the sales in April, so that the income and expenditure for the festival was all within the same VAT quarter (cos otherwise the vatman ends up holding loads of money from sales that you later have to claim back against the expenses). Keeping the accounting simple and efficient.

When they started doing autumn sales, October was the obvious date as an extension of that idea, where it allows a good time separation from the previous festival (so that income/expenses can be easily put against any year's fest), and takes the best advantage of VAT quarters (particularly with the balance still paid in April).

That's my take, anyway.

On 10/30/2018 at 4:06 PM, glastolover19 said:

But surely the person who has a ticket now is going to be fretting more then the person who might get a ticket later? Sorry but there is countless posts across this site where people who have tickets are worried about cv tickets because they need them for whatever person/medical reasons. I just don't get why you'd get one before you even have a ticket,Cart before the horse springs to mind

We seem to be talking about who people need both a CV ticket and a festival ticket to go to the festival, so I don't really see any difference. Someone has a festival ticket and not a CV ticket, someone else has a CV ticket and not a festival ticket. You are saying the people in the first group should have priority because... the festival tickets were sold first?

19 hours ago, glastolover19 said:

I think their shouldn't be the option to do it,the accommodation in my opinion should be sold along side tickets on t-day. 

That I would agree with. But something interesting happens if you do that. It means that when the resale happens, only people buying new tickets can then have a shot at a campervan ticket. There's no fretting on either side, as people who need a campervan also won't have the option of getting a entry ticket in October then trying in the resale for campervans either. That would be a fair system. But that's not the current system. And you are criticising people who bought campervan tickets now, while saying it's fine for those without campervan tickets who want one to wait until the resale and try then. But in your system, they would not be able to. Yet you're not saying they should be requesting a refund on their deposit and giving up? Again, you're going after the one side but not the other.

7 hours ago, slash's hat said:

Well no-one is ever going to know individual circumstances, but try and look from another perspective. You have a ticket but as you have no camper van you want to hire one because your wife won't camp. Before you pay a deposit you want to be sure you have a spot to put it. CV tickets sell out, you don't get one. You can't wait till April resale as all vans will have been hired out by then. If only someone buying in their ticket in the resale had waited to buy their cv ticket.

Yeah, better for you. For people without tickets, better you don't go and put your ticket back in the pot. Again, getting a ticket in the main sale doesn't make you special or in any way more deserving of going to glastonbury (and going the way you want to go, CV or otherwise) than getting a ticket in the resale.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

We seem to be talking about who people need both a CV ticket and a festival ticket to go to the festival, so I don't really see any difference. Someone has a festival ticket and not a CV ticket, someone else has a CV ticket and not a festival ticket. You are saying the people in the first group should have priority because... the festival tickets were sold first?

yep pretty much,if you got a ticket in October(main sale) then yes you should have priority as you are more likely to go then someone hoping for a resale ticket

That I would agree with. But something interesting happens if you do that. It means that when the resale happens, only people buying new tickets can then have a shot at a campervan ticket. There's no fretting on either side, as people who need a campervan also won't have the option of getting a entry ticket in October then trying in the resale for campervans either. That would be a fair system. But that's not the current system. And you are criticising people who bought campervan tickets now, while saying it's fine for those without campervan tickets who want one to wait until the resale and try then. But in your system, they would not be able to. Yet you're not saying they should be requesting a refund on their deposit and giving up? Again, you're going after the one side but not the other.

I don't really know what you're on about here,I said accommodation should be sold at same time as main ticket sale in October after you book your general ticket

26 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah, better for you. For people without tickets, better you don't go and put your ticket back in the pot. Again, getting a ticket in the main sale doesn't make you special or in any way more deserving of going to glastonbury (and going the way you want to go, CV or otherwise) than getting a ticket in the resale.

Special no, but it does mean you are going rather than might be going.

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Except it doesn't does it? Because if you can't go without a CV, you're still only "might" be going depending on if you get a CV ticket or not.

Your initial statement did not specifically refer to people having to go with a CV. Anyone can go to the festival with a GA ticket and no CV ticket but you can't go with a CV ticket and no GA ticket.

Edited by Johnnyseven

22 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

I don't really know what you're on about here,I said accommodation should be sold at same time as main ticket sale in October after you book your general ticket

I agree, but my point was that would apply to the resale too. So only people booking a general ticket in the resale would have access to the returned CV tickets in the resale. People that got a ticket in the October sale wouldn't be able to. Because you can only buy a CV ticket when you book a main ticket. Following so far?

Essentially there are four ways to get both tickets at the moment:

1. Get admission in October, get CV in October

2. Get admission in October, get CV in April resale

3. Get admission in April resale, get CV in October

4. Get admission in April resale, get CV in April resale

You're saying that the only options should be 1 and 4. Which I agree with. You get your accommodation with your admission ticket.

But you're also complaining a lot about people doing 3. And yet seem to think people doing 2 is okay. But they both break your "accommodation with ticket only" proposal in the same way.

5 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Your initial statement did not specifically refer to people having to go with a CV. Anyone can go to the festival with a GA ticket and no CV ticket but you can't go with a CV ticket and no GA ticket.

Then there's no reason people should be "fretting" about not getting a campervan as they're going anyway.

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

You're saying that the only options should be 1 and 4. Which I agree with. You get your accommodation with your admission ticket.

But you're also complaining a lot about people doing 3. And yet seem to think people doing 2 is okay. But they both break your "accommodation with ticket only" proposal in the same way.

2's fine as well. 

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I agree, but my point was that would apply to the resale too. So only people booking a general ticket in the resale would have access to the returned CV tickets in the resale. People that got a ticket in the October sale wouldn't be able to. Because you can only buy a CV ticket when you book a main ticket. Following so far?

Yes certainly options 1+4 is how I'd run it personally but that's not the system at present. However someone with a general ticket is far more likely to go then someone with just a cv ticket baring a few who for whatever reason absolutely must have a cv. If by you buying a cv ticket without already having general ticket which then causes someone with a genuine need for a cv ticket not to go then yeah I think it's selfish. I also think your overestimating how many tickets go back into resale.