'Female, not British' artist for Sunday legend slot

pie_and_a_pint

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Diana Ross and The Supremes is totally allowed after Jeff Lynne humiliated me into changing the rules in 2016 ;) 

Talking of which, was it only me who found Jeff Lynne's ELO boring?  It probably didn't help that I was with my daughter who looked at me blankly every time I said "Surely you know this one"?  

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

Talking of which, was it only me who found Jeff Lynne's ELO boring?  It probably didn't help that I was with my daughter who looked at me blankly every time I said "Surely you know this one"?  

I think if he was just a regular artist on the line-up it would be remembered as decent enough but unlikely to be anybody's highlight. In the legend slot, and particularly following on from Dolly and Lionel, it was somewhat underwhelming. 

Edited by DJL
stuartbert two hats' mental wellbeing

15 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Genuinely surprised that there are people who think otherwise.

Ha ha!  Fair enough.  It's just that I wasn't sure if everyone was going to say "he's ace, I can't believe you found him boring.  There must be something wrong with you" etc etc!  I won't tell you who else I found boring when I saw them as I know there would be a meltdown!

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

Yeah, I was really looking forward to it. They certainly have the tunes but it just failed to spark. Jeff Lynne doesn't help matters with his non-existant stage presence.

1 minute ago, Beerqueen said:

Ha ha!  Fair enough.  It's just that I wasn't sure if everyone was going to say "he's ace, I can't believe you found him boring.  There must be something wrong with you" etc etc!  I won't tell you who else I found boring when I saw them as I know there would be a meltdown!

Ah go on, tell us. There's people saying they didn't like Bowie, I've mentioned walking off from McCartney and there's no shortage of critics of Radiohead.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Ah go on, tell us. There's people saying they didn't like Bowie, I've mentioned walking off from McCartney and there's no shortage of critics of Radiohead.

Yep you got it in three.  Radiohead.  Probably not helped by the fact that the crowd seemed to be so intense and joyless.  Not at the last Glastonbury, years back at V (when they used to have decent acts on).  I still like listening to their music occasionally but wouldn't bother to see them live again (and didn't last year).

5 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

As long as it's not Mik Artistik then you're amongst friends.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Genuinely surprised that there are people who think otherwise.

I seem to be the only person on here who actually enjoyed elo.  But it was first time I've seen them despite being a fan for long time and I wasn't really conscious of crowd around me just enjoying it in my own little bubble . Each to their own 

7 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Yep you got it in three.  Radiohead.  Probably not helped by the fact that the crowd seemed to be so intense and joyless.  Not at the last Glastonbury, years back at V (when they used to have decent acts on).  I still like listening to their music occasionally but wouldn't bother to see them live again (and didn't last year).

Same, I went for a bit got bored and left. Used to love 'em years ago but saw them in Dublin and same thing. One of a few gigs I have very little recollection of. Bored. Still love them on record I just have no compulsion to see them live. Which is bonkers. 

12 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I'm staggered that they still play massive stages. I mean I like them, but they feel very much like a cult band, who happen to still play to large crowds because of the mainstream music they used to produce. I think lots of people went because they were the headliner and liked them back in the day, which will lead to an unenthusiastic crowd.  And obviously, the screens thing didn't help much. Not liking Radiohead seems an entirely reasonable position these days, I kinda wish they had never been so popular so that I could see them with a crowd of people who are into songs in weird time signatures with unintelligible lyrics.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm staggered that they still play massive stages. I mean I like them, but they feel very much like a cult band, who happen to still play to large crowds because of the mainstream music they used to produce. I think lots of people went because they were the headliner and liked them back in the day, which will lead to an unenthusiastic crowd.  And obviously, the screens thing didn't help much. Not liking Radiohead seems an entirely reasonable position these days, I kinda wish they had never been so popular so that I could see them with a crowd of people who are into songs in weird time signatures with unintelligible lyrics.

The number of people that complained to me that they didn’t play enough of ‘the hits’. They probably haven’t listened to anything post Kid A mind, and would have been unaware that Radiohead’s Glasto setlist was very user friendly compared to many on the AMSP tour. But yes, I guess they’re the modern equivalent one of those 70’s prog bands that maybe too ‘out there’ for everyone, albeit one that has managed to stay largely critically lauded and culturally relevant. Which, thinking about it, makes the comparison null and void.

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Besides, Radiohead fans love feeling superior to other people, as the smugness eminating from my previous post is testament. We love it when people don't "get" the band, it makes up feel clever :)

Fucking he’ll, I’ve been accused of smugness twice in two days now! :D

17 minutes ago, henry bear said:

The number of people that complained to me that they didn’t play enough of ‘the hits’. They probably haven’t listened to anything post Kid A mind, and would have been unaware that Radiohead’s Glasto setlist was very user friendly compared to many on the AMSP tour. But yes, I guess they’re the modern equivalent one of those 70’s prog bands that maybe too ‘out there’ for everyone, albeit one that has managed to stay largely critically lauded and culturally relevant. Which, thinking about it, makes the comparison null and void.

Yeah, as a fan, they played a good cross-section of their career, playing what seemed to be their most well known songs across the years. Of course, they would have had more crowd recognition if they'd played The Bends, OK Computer and Creep, but that would have been a pretty pointless gig.

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, as a fan, they played a good cross-section of their career, playing what seemed to be their most well known songs across the years. Of course, they would have had more crowd recognition if they'd played The Bends, OK Computer and Creep, but that would have been a pretty pointless gig.

Pretty sure they played quite a lot of that when I saw them.  Still boring though.  They definitely played Creep, which surprised everyone and made the evening a little better.  

3 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Pretty sure they played quite a lot of that when I saw them.  Still boring though.  They definitely played Creep, which surprised everyone and made the evening a little better.  

They didn't play a lot from The Bends - I guess that's what people might want if they say they didn't play "the hits".