Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

12 minutes ago, thetime said:

Usually is though.

City would not be in the position they are in without  money, neither would united and Liverpool are not actually paupers in that respect. Only Spurs are over achieving in what they have spent on the squad, I certainly can't see the top 6 changing much over the coming seasons. 

Same across all the top 5 Euro leagues. Whoever spends the most money wins the league. 

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Go check the Wolves goal against us that was clearly handball, which was not given. Have Liverpool not had over 10 goals in the league given that were quite clearly offside?

If City do not win the league this season they only have themselves to blame. They have quite easily been the best team in the league. We could whinge about Liverpools luck all day long and there is no escaping the fact they have been ridiculously fortunate. Yet if Mahrez had scored that penalty then it would be game over now I reckon. It will not be Liverpools good fortune that costs us the league, but rather our own ineptitude from 12 yards out.

I still expect City to win the league though.

I've seen numbers like that thrown around but most of the time they're never backed really backed up. I can think of about 3 or 4 Liverpool goals that should have been disallowed, but I can also think of about the same which were disallowed when they shouldn't have been.

City and Liverpool are both playing at such a high level this season that any small bit of luck or error will have significant ramifications, and whoever wins the league will have earned it.

Still think Liverpool will just about win it though.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

True enough, but Fulham have a league 1 quality defence. Hence why they're going down despite having a great forward line. 

and spurs have a league 1 quality goalie who's cost them shit loads of points this season; even Spurs fans are saying stuff like that.

I do think City fans whining about luck is outdated nonsense. 

I think it's laughable, for a number of reasons but including the fact that the words coming from their mouths (other places, not just here) are at least as bad as anything ever heard from any Liverpool fan (who are apparently the worst, so those City fans say).

It's one thing taking the piss, but there's delusion going on that's as bad as anything about brexit.

Edited by eFestivals

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Someone is always going to have the most money. For the record, Liverpool spent far more money than City last season. United also have the most expensive squad, highest wage bill and most expensive player.

Didn't Liverpool just spend money they had earned through player sales? That's very different to how City and United have funded transfers. I agree someone will always have the most money, but the fortune when it's your team waaay beats any fortune from official decisions.

36 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Didn't Liverpool just spend money they had earned through player sales? That's very different to how City and United have funded transfers. I agree someone will always have the most money, but the fortune when it's your team waaay beats any fortune from official decisions.

Maybe if Liverpool did what City and United did, rather than continually selling their best players, maybe they might win some trophies.

22 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Maybe if Liverpool did what City and United did, rather than continually selling their best players, maybe they might win some trophies.

that takes a rich sugar daddy, or a big-earning club.

Liverpool have been neither til the last year (I think they've just posted the world's biggest football pre-tax profit).

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

All this shit about Pickford. Are people really assed? The biggest c**ts are the people who follow him round all night shoving a camera in his face and shouting abuse at him. What is wrong with people, bunch of weirdos. 

His behaviour at SJP was farcical. 

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/08/football/manchester-city-uefa-investigation-spt-intl/index.html

According to Der Spiegel and football leaks, it very much sounds like fraud.

No it doesn't. The only people who have broken the law are the ones who have hacked private emails. Not once have Der Spiegel suggested City have broken any laws. 

That article is a load of nonesense. Der Spiegel are suggesting that a large proportion of Citys sponsors contributions was given to them by Abu Dhabi. Even if they did, that is not fraud and nor has it broken any laws. UEFA ruled that the level of Citys sponsorship was fair. When the sponsors get their funds from is no business of UEFA. Etihad have unequivocally denued any funds coming from City and UEFA has no right what so ever to audit the books of Etihad.

There is a world of difference between finding ways round UEFAS rules and commiting fraud.

Edited by eastynh

City are fortunate that a rich man has invested loads of cash in the squad. I don’t criticise them for having the good fortune to get the cash, if it wasn’t them it would be someone else. Liverpool have had some good fortune with late goals, although the pressure they have put on teams has contributed to the mistakes. The fortune of having the sugar daddy is far more of a factor than the fortune from mistakes on the pitch.

10 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

City are fortunate that a rich man has invested loads of cash in the squad. I don’t criticise them for having the good fortune to get the cash, if it wasn’t them it would be someone else. Liverpool have had some good fortune with late goals, although the pressure they have put on teams has contributed to the mistakes. The fortune of having the sugar daddy is far more of a factor than the fortune from mistakes on the pitch.

Have Liverpool never had any fortune to be invested in by rich people???