Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

While I respect Sol Campbell for taking a lower league job as a route into management, I suspect if he were white he'd have been offered something further up the pyramid. 

Why? His only coaching role so far has been assistant manager of Trinidad and Tobago for a handful of matches. 

Hes a huge risk for any club. He was running for Tory mayor last I heard and frequently missed games, training etc due to personal issues during his career. 

I've no doubt there are racism issues in the managerial game but I don't think not giving top jobs to a decent defender who went awol a lot and couldn't pass the ball is one of them.

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Why? His only coaching role so far has been assistant manager of Trinidad and Tobago for a handful of matches. 

Hes a huge risk for any club. He was running for Tory mayor last I heard and frequently missed games, training etc due to personal issues during his career. 

I've no doubt there are racism issues in the managerial game but I don't think not giving top jobs to a decent defender who went awol a lot and couldn't pass the ball is one of them.

And the first roles given to Giggs, Neville, Keane, Shearer? 

I think it's the level he should start at. I'm just wondering whether the shift from where the last set of ex-players started is due to a change of respect for ex-players, or the inherent racism in managerial appointments. 

4 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

And the first roles given to Giggs, Neville, Keane, Shearer? 

I think it's the level he should start at. I'm just wondering whether the shift from where the last set of ex-players started is due to a change of respect for ex-players, or the inherent racism in managerial appointments. 

Its both. There is inherent racism in managerial appointments, statistically there just has to be I think, but Sol is quite controversial. Missing games, subbing himself, suing clubs, personal issues etc.  

In the cases of those above - Giggs had never left the game, hardly a beacon of moral values granted, the Nev appointment was a joke but he was mates with the owner and is a great pundit, Keane was tipped by Fergie to take over from him and Shearer was appointed as a hopeful temporary new management bump to keep them up - go on lads play for this legend, which didn't work as you're well aware. 

If Sol does well he should move up through the leagues quickly. If he doesn't then maybe its time to ask questions. Just looked there though, some job ahead of him. Bottom of League 2, 3 wins from 20 games and 37 goals conceded. Ouch.

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Its both. There is inherent racism in managerial appointments, statistically there just has to be I think, but Sol is quite controversial. Missing games, subbing himself, suing clubs, personal issues etc.  

In the cases of those above - Giggs had never left the game, hardly a beacon of moral values granted, the Nev appointment was a joke but he was mates with the owner and is a great pundit, Keane was tipped by Fergie to take over from him and Shearer was appointed as a hopeful temporary new management bump to keep them up - go on lads play for this legend, which didn't work as you're well aware. 

If Sol does well he should move up through the leagues quickly. If he doesn't then maybe its time to ask questions. Just looked there though, some job ahead of him. Bottom of League 2, 3 wins from 20 games and 37 goals conceded. Ouch.

It's one hell of a tough job. One that says to me he's desperate to manage and hasn't got other opportunities. Lesser players like Nolan and Barton (as referenced already) got respectable league 1 jobs. 

Maybe it is the personal stuff and him specifically, I still think the racism question is one to ponder.

4 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Decisions going against your team is part of football

as is forgetting all the calls that went your way that shouldn't have. :P 

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

While I respect Sol Campbell for taking a lower league job as a route into management, I suspect if he were white he'd have been offered something further up the pyramid. 

Perhaps years ago, I'd doubt it now. He's managed to ensure it's hard for people to take him seriously.

7 hours ago, The Nal said:

This seems spot on to me. 

6 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Maybe it is the personal stuff and him specifically, I still think the racism question is one to ponder.

What price he raises that exact question after he gets binned. 

As has been said, it no doubt is a factor but I doubt it has anything to do with him not getting a job higher up the chain.

9 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

What price he raises that exact question after he gets binned. 

As has been said, it no doubt is a factor but I doubt it has anything to do with him not getting a job higher up the chain.

My experience is that these "name" managers who come and manage in the lower leagues generally don't do well, I'm struggling to think of a successful one in recent time. That Macc job is a tough one, bottom of the league, not much money and 1 year from a big overachievement.

I have no doubt the colour of his skin hindered him getting a managerial job initially post retired,but think 7 years out of football has made irrelevant.

13 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

West ham's first win at SJP in 20 years today. Newcastle always lose when i'm feeling confident.

No it wasn’t 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9666416/Newcastle-United-0-West-Ham-United-1-match-report.html

Edited by TheGayTent