Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

Just now, thetime said:

He said an inappropriate joke that fell flat, it’s not the end of the world. Sexual harassment is banded out willy nilly these days. 

nicely put. :)

As I see it, if there's any sexism to it it's not in the wording of the 'joke', it's within making a trivialising joke where he (perhaps? I've no idea) wouldn't have made a similarly trivialising joke to the male winner.

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nicely put. :)

As I see it, if there's any sexism to it it's not in the wording of the 'joke', it's within making a trivialising joke where he (perhaps? I've no idea) wouldn't have made a similarly trivialising joke to the male winner.

He did not make a similar joke for the men's award. For some reason he treated them with more respect.

7 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

It's saying a woman's sexuality is more important than what she's successful for. 

It's a demeaning and sexist comment. It's not sexual harassment (and I'm not sure who thinks it is?) 

I'm also not sure it's sexual harassment. It's clearly massively sexist and he deserves to get shit for it.

I'm not sure you can justify massive sexism if your presenting an award which is for women.

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I'm also not sure it's sexual harassment. It's clearly massively sexist and he deserves to get shit for it.

I'm not sure you can justify massive sexism if your presenting an award which is for women.

He is getting a load of shit for it, which I'm fine with. He won't be asked to present awards like this again, which I'm fine with. That's as far as I expect it to go though.

6 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

The award both highlights and defines the gender imbalance. I'm not disagreeing with that. Whether it's a good or bad thing I'm not sure.

Most awards have male and female categories. That's how the sport itself is split as well. I'm not sure having an award for best female footballer is inherently sexist.

5 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

The award both highlights and defines the gender imbalance. I'm not disagreeing with that. Whether it's a good or bad thing I'm not sure.

but if there are differences to the sexes and they can be recognised...? :P
(and the fact of that award says they can be)

It ends up as just a shit and inappropriate joke, like asking a top chef if he/she's good at washing up.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

but if there are differences to the sexes and they can be recognised...? :P
(and the fact of that award says they can be)

It ends up as just a shit and inappropriate joke, like asking a top chef if he/she's good at washing up.

It's a gender charged joke that sexualises her instead of focusing on whatever she's talented at. It's not the lack of wit that makes it shit.

14 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

It's a gender charged joke that sexualises her instead of focusing on whatever she's talented at. It's not the lack of wit that makes it shit.

That can only work if twerking is always indisputably about sex and nothing else. That's an idea that's rejected for other dances.

I agree that it trivialises the talent she's being recognised for, which is where I see it as shit.

31 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Only tells half the story - what was the arsenal team? 

Szcezny, Jenkinson, Dourou, Koscielny, Traore, Ramsey, Coquelin, Rosicky, Walcott, Van Persie, Arshavin. 

A freak of a result but any team with that Utd lineup scoring 8 seems miraculous looking at the last few years. 

That Utd team finished on 89 points winning 28 from 38 and 89 goals scored. So was Fergie that good or are Moyes, LVG and Jose just bad?

Anyway still chuckling to myself about Griezmann finishing ahead of Messi. And hes not happy about not winning it!

Edited by The Nal

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

Szcezny, Jenkinson, Dourou, Koscielny, Traore, Ramsey, Coquelin, Rosicky, Walcott, Van Persie, Arshavin. 

A freak of a result but any team with that Utd lineup scoring 8 seems miraculous looking at the last few years. 

That Utd team finished on 89 points winning 28 from 38 and 89 goals scored. So was Fergie that good or are Moyes, LVG and Jose just bad?

Anyway still chuckling to myself about Griezmann finishing ahead of Messi. And hes not happy about not winning it!

Bit of both.

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

Can’t only be me who day dreams of fergie clothes lining Jose and signing a 3 year contract. :D