Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

16 minutes ago, thetime said:

It was a serious question, no need going off on one. 

Its very intriguing, like you said Liverpool fans are just happy watching good football. Although I would question that they don’t really care to win the premier league. 

they might care about winning it, but from what i read there's no expectation of doing it while City are streets ahead.

Liverpool fans are definitely in a happy place but I'm not sure it'll hold up well if they lose a few of those up-coming games. Losing last year wasn't a problem cos the winning was so good, but there's much less to get excited about this season. 

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they might care about winning it, but from what i read there's no expectation of doing it while City are streets ahead.

It’s up to the others teams to catch up on City not just give up. In the same way teams did to Liverpool and united in the last 40 years.

I don’t imagine Liverpool have spent all this money to happily just finish in the top 4,

Edited by thetime

29 minutes ago, thetime said:

It was a serious question, no need going off on one. 

Its very intriguing, like you said Liverpool fans are just happy watching good football. Although I would question that they don’t really care to win the premier league. 

Maintain high standards, enjoy the journey, stick together and hope City fuck it up.

What else is there to do? Expecting LFC to win the league now is utter folly.

You'd be on here giving it "hurhurhur pisspot" if we won something else like every other Utd fan.

23 minutes ago, Dan R said:

It's ridiculous to say they don't want or care to win the league, but it's clear that we're heading the right direction. A CL final (lost to things realistically outside the managers control) and currently unbeaten in the league and on course for a 97 point season, with some incredible young players coming through into the side.

Each season there's two big trophies that really matter, one has all of the top teams in Europe competing, the other has the richest team in history who are on another level. And on the evidence of where Klopp's brought the team from it's pretty clear he's the best man for the job.

If LFC break 90-odd and don't win the league thats not on us. Utd meffs are the only people talking about "pressure". Your club is a mess lads, but by all means try to drag us down when we're having a total blast - youll fail.

14 minutes ago, thetime said:

It’s up to the others teams to catch up on City not just give up. In the same way teams did to Liverpool and united in the last 40 years.

I don’t imagine Liverpool have spent all this money to happily just finish in the top 4,

who said they'd given up? I'd say they're just being realistic.

They're building in the right direction without mega-spending city style. They're not going to overhaul them easily, and no one much thought they'd do it this season.

1 hour ago, Dan R said:

Each season there's two big trophies that really matter, one has all of the top teams in Europe competing, the other has the richest team in history who are on another level. And on the evidence of where Klopp's brought the team from it's pretty clear he's the best man for the job.

Really matter to the owners and commercial department then that's possibly fair. I would argue the domestic cups still matter to the fans.

9 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

You were suggesting he was under pressure a year ago. Winning the league is nigh on impossible at the moment, so there’s no pressure once performances are at a high level.

I’m genuinely baffled why he isn’t under pressure to get some silverware, hasn’t he spent the most after city since he arrived?

i think personally his passion and likeability hides what he’s actually achieved at Liverpool. 

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Really matter to the owners and commercial department then that's possibly fair. I would argue the domestic cups still matter to the fans.

Of course they do, I doubt many utd fans see van persie getting a last minute winner against city better than winning trophies. 

5 minutes ago, thetime said:

I’m genuinely baffled why he isn’t under pressure to get some silverware, hasn’t he spent the most after city since he arrived?

i think personally his passion and likeability hides what he’s actually achieved at Liverpool. 

So losing a world class player in Coutinho doesn't count in the financials? :blink:

He's taken the club steadily upwards and onwards, without having bottomless resources. He's doing just fine, except for anyone with unrealistic expectations.

Utd fans having a pop to try and hide their own club's much bigger failings is a standard. :P 

9 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Of course they do, but if Klopp had won the league cup in his first season would anyone's opinion of his time as Liverpool boss really have changed?

20 minutes ago, thetime said:

It's been steady progress each year, and the Liverpool team started team was definitely mid-table. There's been a lot of money spent this last year, but getting to a position where we can attract those players is down to him.

1 minute ago, thetime said:

Can’t remember hiding the current united shambles. 

and yet you think there's something to talk about with Klopp's 'faults'.

Two major finals in the last two years (which few expected them to win, too, quite reasonably), climbing the league, and very clearly improving the team on the pitch.

It would have been better to have collected a trophy or two as well, but not having done that yet is not any sort of fault.

The time might come where there's nothing he can add, but it's not there yet.

2 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Of course they do, but if Klopp had won the league cup in his first season would anyone's opinion of his time as Liverpool boss really have changed?

Nope like Van Gaal winning the FA Cup, I would thought Liverpool fans would of been desperate for trophies with there heritage. 

Although wooderson’s claim of not bothered about winning the league, I will take with a pinch of salt. 

1 minute ago, thetime said:

Nope like Van Gaal winning the FA Cup, I would thought Liverpool fans would of been desperate for trophies with there heritage. 

Although wooderson’s claim of not bothered about winning the league, I will take with a pinch of salt. 

Trophies are great, but as long as Liverpool keep on improving or perform at the levels they have done, I think most people are confident the trophies will come. 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

and yet you think there's something to talk about with Klopp's 'faults'.

Two major finals in the last two years (which few expected them to win, too, quite reasonably), climbing the league, and very clearly improving the team on the pitch.

It would have been better to have collected a trophy or two as well, but not having done that yet is not any sort of fault.

The time might come where there's nothing he can add, but it's not there yet.

It’s not me having a go at klopp/Liverpool because I’m a united fan, it’s genuinely interesting what’s going on there. 

Theres been many teams playing great football but no trophies, like Newcastle and spurs down the years. They don’t have the history of Liverpool winning titles, European cups and countless domestic cups.