Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s quarters day! Last couple of days have felt weird without football to gorge on.

Fancy Uruguay to snuff the French out and Brazil to overcome Belgium reasonably comfortably.

This is why I work in an office and am not permanently sunning myself on a beach in the Carribean.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

We’ve always rated Belgium and Martinez round here.

Another popular player around here Fellaini has been fantastic. Great game plan from Martinez bringing him in.

17 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

So we will have a new nation added to that list of countries who have won a World Cup away from home.

Unless Russia win it.

36 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Interestingly for all the talk about “this most unpredictable of world cups”. I would argue the results in the knockout have been pretty predictable. I have only been surprised by 2 results, Russia beating Spain and Belgium beating Brazil.

Swiss losing out was a surprise. Unless the stars have aligned for Sweden to Greece the thing and Zlatan to lift the cup in full kit.

Edited by dentalplan

56 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Swiss losing out was a surprise. Unless the stars have aligned for Sweden to Greece the thing and Zlatan to lift the cup in full kit.

I think Swiss v Sweden and Uruguay v Portugal were the two 50/50 matches. I feel it fits the narative they want to highlight the unpredictable and ignore the predictable.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think Swiss v Sweden and Uruguay v Portugal were the two 50/50 matches. I feel it fits the narative they want to highlight the unpredictable and ignore the predictable.

I think a last 8 without Germany and Spain wasn't something many folk predicted.

Which kind of makes it unpredictable.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Interestingly for all the talk about “this most unpredictable of world cups”. I would argue the results in the knockout have been pretty predictable. I have only been surprised by 2 results, Russia beating Spain and Belgium beating Brazil.

When a heavyweight like Spain gets knocked out in one of the first knockout games, and Germany have already been eliminated in the groups, with Italy and Netherlands not even qualifying, it means there's a lot of 2nd tier (and potentially lower) teams left. With the way the groups fell leaving two halfs of the draw imbalanced, there wasn't really much potential for surprises beyond those.