Lineup 2020

randlfan

10 minutes ago, gfa said:

The Cure headlined in 2012... the difference since then is crazy lineup wise its a pretty different festival. Pulp are britpop also so they could still do it as it would be as a comeback too. The Strokes are a similar demographic without a doubt (just a bit aged) and if they hadn't played APE last year i'd lean more towards them but they do a show every few years here so i reckon they are out the running until next year or possibly 2022 - unless the album is crazy or something

image.thumb.png.652791591c34d51f1cee799cd6e317ec.pngimage.png.9f0bb5103fe4e141b8e5e39fff1e80b2.png

😂😂😂 your gold you mate 

1) put your demographic argument in the bin 

your telling us it’s changed which it has, I’ve seen it been every year since 07 but come on! 

Your argument is strokes cant headline and you show us two posters to compare with the most recent one having kings of Leon and fall out boy headlining which we’re in turn reaching high popularity when strokes were 

log off for abit 

8 minutes ago, heartsink said:

😂😂😂 your gold you mate 

1) put your demographic argument in the bin 

your telling us it’s changed which it has, I’ve seen it been every year since 07 but come on! 

Your argument is strokes cant headline and you show us two posters to compare with the most recent one having kings of Leon and fall out boy headlining which we’re in turn reaching high popularity when strokes were 

log off for abit 

1. Never said they couldn't headline:

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

I was saying you were out of touch for comparing the Strokes headlining to the Cure still being able to headline 8 years. Its not a fair comparison at all, The Cure played back when indie/rock was at its heights and the festival was basically only about it, the only major slots not devoted to it that year were Justice R1 headliner and Odd Future 6th down.

--

"As has been mentioned previously, if The Cure can headline Reading/Leeds recently who peaked in the 80s then The Strokes can still get booked and headline and will be a success."

2. Look at their touring history, they leave gaps. BST was a four year gap and sold from I heard awfully (£2.50 tickets etc)

3. I fucking love the Strokes they are my favourite band, but literally none of my friends give a shit about them, not remotely as much as Arctics, Kasabian, Liam Gallagher etc and that seems to be the consensus from most others around the age of 20 on the forums really. Unless you were going since you were about 10, going since 07 makes you like 30 now which makes you far from the demographic.

4. You just need to look at the strokes' APE day to see that they appeal to a different crowd to what Reading does. Compare it to the undercard for Kasabian this summer maybe.

5. The Strokes peaked over 10 years before FoB did and KoL peaked about 6 years after the Strokes. They have big songs but not nearly as well known as Sex on Fire for instance. FoB still release tons of albums now and get radio airplay, they are still on the rise as shown by their reading placements.

image.png.acf8c250dd1a4f9b1029d073ce1865c0.png

Edited by gfa

16 minutes ago, gfa said:

Makes sense I guess as the emo/punky headliner has become a thing recently with FoB/Panic and then 21p last year. Shame but ah well

I literally beg - would make sense, Strokes are quite Southern right?

Quite Southern in what sense? You know The Strokes are American right? 😂

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Quite Southern in what sense? You know The Strokes are American right? 😂

Not entirely sure what I meant by that honestly - I guess I mean their refined sound and like accents etc, Liam G would close leeds anyway no questions asked, but i was saying they would suit closing Reading better I guess. And i know they are american haha

1 minute ago, wro_lap said:

Travis/BMTH

Biffy/Liam

RHCP

Would be a strong set. Not sure they'd get back both of those 2016 headliners in the same year though.

Most people who went in 2016 aren't going anymore. FoB returned in 2018 too so I don't think its much of an issue

Just now, gfa said:

Most people who went in 2016 aren't going anymore. FoB returned in 2018 too so I don't think its much of an issue

yeah, I do get that, although repeating two from the same year at the same time would look to some like clutching at straws.

i'd be delighted with it though.