2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

OK looking through ones from 2018 so far (can't be bothered to go back to second half of 2017)...

Jon Hopkins

Hookworms

Young Fathers

Magic Gang

Manic Street Preachers

Gaz Coombes

Goat Girl

Ben Howard

LUMP

Gruff Rhys

Boy Azooga

Let's Eat Grandma

Gorillaz

I'm amazed that none of these have been mentioned.

Surprised to see Manics posted here, thought it was a cracking album, best they've put out for a while.

Hookworms was great. Ben Howard took some getting used to but quality once you get there. Need to listen to Gruff Rhys.

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

Surprised to see Manics posted here, thought it was a cracking album, best they've put out for a while.

Hookworms was great. Ben Howard took some getting used to but quality once you get there. Need to listen to Gruff Rhys.

Aye, loving the Manics album.  Proper looking forward to seeing them at Beautiful Days. Just hasn't had a lot of love on here full stop, never mind the Mercury, not sure why.  Maybe I'm just not in touch with what the kids like these days :)

25 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Smart money is on Jorja Smith. I really enjoyed Florence's record!

I could live with Jorja winning.

I don't know what it is about Florence, but her stuff just hasn't been pulling me back in for repeated listenings. Not like I don't like it, but once it's over it's left my brain.  Like the Solo movie.

The best bit of the Mercury prize is here though.... article on BBC News has opened up a comments section.

If y'all would like to take a seat and grab yourself some popcorn and something to drink I'll be coming round soon to open up the betting on how many comments it takes for any or all of the following to be mentioned:

Brexit, Trump, political correctness, feminism, Lily Allen's views on immigration, music these days being rubbish (looking at your nomination here Novelist), snowflakes, left wing BBC bias, "why can we comment on this but not XXX" or doping in the TdF.

Michael-Jackson-Popcorn.jpg.f57efd028d2f0240056a7b15ebc043a1.jpg

28 minutes ago, Quark said:

OK looking through ones from 2018 so far (can't be bothered to go back to second half of 2017)...

Jon Hopkins

Hookworms

Young Fathers

Magic Gang

Manic Street Preachers

Gaz Coombes

Goat Girl

Ben Howard

LUMP

Gruff Rhys

Boy Azooga

Let's Eat Grandma

Gorillaz

I'm amazed that none of these have been mentioned.

Got Jon Hopkins, Hookworms and Goat Girl in my list too but not too high up. Liking the Gorillaz album but haven't listened enough to rank it yet.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

As always, who gives a shit? Every year I'm baffled by the attention this awards show gets. 

What am I missing here?

Making lists is OUR THING. Here comes The Man trying to get in on the act, and he's got fucking shite taste.

Anyway new Robyn jam this week. My body is ready.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Making lists is OUR THING. Here comes The Man trying to get in on the act, and he's got fucking shite taste.

Anyway new Robyn jam this week. My body is ready.

Damn right.  They didn't even include 9. Pablo Honey. Fucking amateurs.

More interesting is Robyn...didn't know she had new shit coming.  Cheers for the heads up Lawn.

40 minutes ago, Quark said:

I could live with Jorja winning.

I don't know what it is about Florence, but her stuff just hasn't been pulling me back in for repeated listenings. Not like I don't like it, but once it's over it's left my brain.  Like the Solo movie.

I found the latest record a lot more delicate and personal than the last. Big fan! Understand where you're coming from though.

37 minutes ago, Quark said:

Holy shit. Second comment was this:

Should be renamed
“The Pretentious Bio Equality Diversity Gender Fluid LGBTQXYZ Prize”
PJ Harvey has won it TWICE.. Jeez

HOUSE!! HOUSE!!

Tonight on Newsnight: Is the BBC a bastion of lefty luvviness? 

We turn to our panel: Steve Bannon, General Ratko Mladic, Gordon Brown's 'bigoted woman' and the ghost of King Leopold II of Belgium. 

• Like 3

Wow the Let's Eat Grandma album is well good.

Also been spinning the Death Grips album a lot the last few days and that's sick, too.

Gorillaz album surprisingly enjoyable after their last effort.

Deafheaven album unsurprisingly enjoyable.

Getting caught up after about a month of listening to no new stuff. Nothing I'm looking forward to much until Mitski in mid-August so plenty of time to discover all the good stuff I've missed.

2 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Wow the Let's Eat Grandma album is well good.

Also been spinning the Death Grips album a lot the last few days and that's sick, too.

Gorillaz album surprisingly enjoyable after their last effort.

Deafheaven album unsurprisingly enjoyable.

Getting caught up after about a month of listening to no new stuff. Nothing I'm looking forward to much until Mitski in mid-August so plenty of time to discover all the good stuff I've missed.

listen to lucy dacus 

28 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

listen to lucy dacus 

Dunno who that is but I'll put it on my list of ones to listen to.

Speaking of which, I've had U.S. Girls on that list for months and always put it off for other acts who I actually know stuff about. Just listened to it and bloody hell it's amazing. Can see that going straight to the top of my AOTY list if it holds up on repeated listens.

48 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Dunno who that is but I'll put it on my list of ones to listen to.

Speaking of which, I've had U.S. Girls on that list for months and always put it off for other acts who I actually know stuff about. Just listened to it and bloody hell it's amazing. Can see that going straight to the top of my AOTY list if it holds up on repeated listens.

she'd be filed with julien baker, snail mail, big thief kinda stuff - maybe a bit punky/rockier. 

And yeah that US Girls album is up there as one of my AOTY too. 

Also these guys from Manchester put out a cool album: 

26 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

she'd be filed with julien baker, snail mail, big thief kinda stuff - maybe a bit punky/rockier. 

And yeah that US Girls album is up there as one of my AOTY too. 

Also these guys from Manchester put out a cool album: 

Is she like Soccer Mommy

Edit: I still need to listen to the Snail Mail album

Edited by Gucci Piggy

Some tracklist and artwork on this new Tom Morello album.

Tom-Morello-album-art.jpg

The Atlas Underground:

01 Battle Sirens [ft. Knife Party]
02 Rabbit’s Revenge [ft. Bassnectar, Big Boi, and Killer Mike]
03 Every Step That I Take [ft. Portugal. The Man and Whethan]
04 We Don’t Need You [ft. Vic Mensa]
05 Find Another Way [ft. Marcus Mumford]
06 How Long [ft. Steve Aoki and Rise Against’s Tim McIlrath]
07 Lucky One [ft. K.Flay]
08 One Nation [ft. Pretty Lights]
09 Vigilante Nocturno [ft. Carl Restivo]
10 Where It’s At Ain’t What It Is [ft. Gary Clark Jr. and Nico Stadi]