Football 17/18

TheGayTent

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

They'll have no issues staying in the Premier League if they get promoted.

yeah, they probably will have issues staying up (if they get up), just because if things go badly I don't think the owner is particularly likely to throw quick-fix money at the club.

He's invested a lot of the money he's squirreled away free of taxes in Jersey into the club, but I don't reckon he feels able to compete with the big boys so wouldn't try to. His ownership seems to me to be a 'build it up' project, but without being particularly ambitious about it. If it works out it works out, but if it doesn't he's had a bit of fun supporting his 'local' club and probably left it in a better state than he found it.

(he also owns Bristol rugby, who've had their own ups and downs).

9 hours ago, mjsell said:

He's obviously having a good season, don't think anyone is arguing that he isn't. But can you name anyone in that City side that would be considered to be having a poor one? 

Couldn't agree more. 

It’s beyond obvious to say that no one should ever have to go through what he did. However, that Sterling dealt with that and then took it all out on Tottenham Hotspur deserves every praise. He’s a delightful player. I just think its ok to praise him without the 'yeah but' he always seems to attract

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

Great game. Scousers in the pub were on top Liverpool form. Ridiculous as always!

edit. Been critical of Wilshere these past few years but thought he performed tonight. Will keep an eye out.

Ridiculous game that, two defences trying to outdo each other for incompetence, great fun for the neutral.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Liverpool may need to upgrade the keeper, but I think Arsenal do as well. Cech isnt close to the standard he once was.

Cech isn't AS good as he was, no... That said he was world class. Mignolet makes saves you wouldn't expect and can't make the saves you would. The fans last night in the pub were saying if they swapped GKs then Liverpool would win the league. No chance! They do need to get better one tho. Any other club would go out and buy one so I don't know why Kloop hasn't. City did.

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Cech isn't AS good as he was, no... That said he was world class. Mignolet makes saves you wouldn't expect and can't make the saves you would. The fans last night in the pub were saying if they swapped GKs then Liverpool would win the league. No chance! They do need to get better one tho. Any other club would go out and buy one so I don't know why Kloop hasn't. City did.

If it was that easy Liverpool would have done it. Looking at the premiership there are no outstanding candidates that Liverpool could get.

City managed to upgrade, but he is a very specific keeper who fits with their play.

13 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Easy to say, but Chelsea, man utd, spurs and Bayern etc haven't been looking to sell their best keeper during that time. Who has been available in that time who would be perceived a sure thing.

To be fair Chelsea and United signed them when they were young, United especially learned to live with De gea’s Mistakes early on. There wouldn’t be many who would of predicted De Gea being the best in the world.

40 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

If you can’t buy world class then you buy potential and develop it. Pickford went this summer and I bet Butland would be available at a decent price.

And often potential turns into Richard Wright. I would say football history would suggest that the Butland/Pickford types fail when they move to a big club as often as they succeed.

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

They've had several windows to address their problems and haven't. 

Liverpool have dropped 43 points from winning positions under Klopp. Hes had 4 transfer windows and still has that defence. Its his fault. Theyll win fuck all with him. Likeable bloke but hes not the guy.

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Liverpool have dropped 43 points from winning positions under Klopp. Hes had 4 transfer windows and still has that defence. Its his fault. Theyll win fuck all with him. Likeable bloke but hes not the guy.

Would have to agree. The fans won't dig out happy happy Klopp tho. Strange.

48 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Massimo Taibi was considered a great option once, i would maintain goalkeeper is the most difficult position to recruit.

To be fair he only played  4 times for Utd, had good career in Italy. 

Fergies quote about Taibi being Italian he must be a good goalkeeper.

Probably  one of fergies back handers like Bebe. :lol::o