Football 17/18

TheGayTent

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

No issue on my side. Was just pointing out that clubs looking to win things have to spend money these days. Particularly as Liverpool don't bring young players through the system anymore. Can't remember the last one whos got a run in the team?

He not worth anywhere close to 75m though but will improve the side of course so all good. 

Not quite through the system but the boy Robertson ( now 23 ) that they brought in to develop could well be a player. Klopp seems to rate him.

Talking of Scottish full backs, I think Tierney at Celtic would be Worth a punt. 

Robertson and Van Dyke left Scotland for relative peanuts compared to their recent moves.

11 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Not quite through the system but the boy Robertson ( now 23 ) that they brought in to develop could well be a player. Klopp seems to rate him.

Talking of Scottish full backs, I think Tierney at Celtic would be Worth a punt. 

Robertson and Van Dyke left Scotland for relative peanuts compared to their recent moves.

Gomez and Solanke are two more youngsters get plenty of game time at the moment for Liverpool.

Also agree Tierney looks like a real talent.

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Go on then?

Woodburn and Alex-Arnold. Is that it?! 

I've jumped on the tail end of this as I've only just discovered the thread....

There have been plenty who have played for LFC (in last few years) and then moved on to forge careers elsewhere - Tom Ince, Andre Wisdom, Connor Randall (at Hearts on loan), Jack Robinson,  Martin Kelly etc. Plus there is the youth we bought into the academy (Jordan Ibe and Sterling). 

Currently in or around the 1st team is TAA, Woodburn, Ejaria, Flanagan and a few on the cusp like Wilson and Brewster (discounting Gomez and Ward). Sure, it's a long way from the 90s when Fowler, McManaman, Owen, Gerrard and a few decent others were bursting out but it's like that throughout football now at the 'bigger' clubs. It's more an issue with the money in the game and the added scrutiny. Outside of Southampton there aren't many PL clubs that regularly blood more than a few youngsters a season really. It's a shame but it's a reflection of the state of the game at the moment. 

If Academy players are good enough and then take their chances they’ll make the first team. LFC’s problem is that these kids may not have capitalized on their chance.

We’re not the ones letting kids leave and then buying them back for 90 million tho are we.

#pissboiling

20 hours ago, Wooderson said:

That piss needs to come off the boil. :lol:

I’m a bit confused, couple of weeks ago you were moaning about football being doped. Now your triumphant that Liverpool are spending big money. 

Typical footie fans, morals go out of a fan when it’s there own club. 

Boiling piss? :lol:

Edited by thetime

1 hour ago, thetime said:

I’m a bit confused, couple of weeks ago you were moaning about football being doped. Now your triumphant that Liverpool are spending big money. 

Typical footie fans, morals go out of a fan when it’s there own club. 

Boiling piss? :lol:

Problem w/ LFC pulling their weight in a mad market? Bout time.

By contrast City jumped in a footballing DeLorean.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Liverpool do seem to have a decent quota of kids coming through, the problem is they have a decent run and then don’t progress and fall away. 

Is that a clubs fault or the player in question, as majority don’t go on to better things you would say it’s the latter.

If the players were good enough they’d get a shout. Any academy keeper at the club for example. Migs is a weak target yet has 200 first XI games.

15 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Problem w/ LFC pulling their weight in a mad market? Bout time.

Nope not a problem at all, you having a go at the city’s and united’s of the world on the other hand.

klopp spent something like 200m so you having a go at Utd for ‘doping’ doesn’t carry much weight. 

18 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

For the record I’m just pleased the manager is being offered same support that Utd, Chelsea and City have received. The fee has no bearing on it. That’s the player the manager wanted. It silences a lot of whining.

So for clarification your moaning about doping, has bugger all to do with it and just because Liverpool were not spending those amounts.

Dont think you’re far off Utd and City on the spending front. 75m for Dijk, 65m keita and 35m  Salah and it all mounts up. 

To be fair though Liverpool seem to be spending it in the right way, rather than the shambles of a transfer policy at united.

Edited by thetime

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

So for clarification your moaning about doping, has bugger all to do with it and just because Liverpool were not spending those amounts.

Dont think you’re far off Utd and City on the spending front. 75m for Dijk, 65m keita and 35m  Salah and it all mounts up. 

Focussing purely on the fees is a mistake. My guess is that the Man Utd wage bill is miles above Liverpool.

37 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

If the players were good enough they’d get a shout. Any academy keeper at the club for example. Migs is a weak target yet has 200 first XI games.

I don't think it's as simple as that. Young players are by nature inconsistent and often follow a good first season with a poor second one. I think many of the top clubs work on a one poor season and your gone approach. Not only do these players have their confidence shattered by the clubs, they also have to put up with being the whipping boys on social media. My guess is a lot of great talent is lost to the game because their confidence is shattered early on.

36 minutes ago, thetime said:

Nope not a problem at all, you having a go at the city’s and united’s of the world on the other hand.

klopp spent something like 200m so you having a go at Utd for ‘doping’ doesn’t carry much weight. 

Ah here LFC spend a few quid and the Utd’s are throwing hot piss all over the place. Fucking brilliant.