Somerset Log Candles.

Sawdusty surfer

It looks like Somerset Log Candles will be available again this year. I'm no longer broken after last year's series of unfortunate events so able to work again :)

The Log Candles will be available to collect locally before the festival, available to buy from The Greenfields during the festival and hopefully I'll be able to deliver to the CV fields on the Tuesday late afternoon/early evening.

Anyone on here will get a discount and you will be able to reserve them , cash on collection. If you reserve one or more and don't manage to get it together to collect, no worrries, no charge....but try to avoid doing this if poss!

J

Hurray! So pleased you're mended :yahoo:

We'll definitely get at least one or two need to speak with @lucyginger and the rest of our camp to double check :)

They were bloody brilliant last time we got some! Thank you :D

Edited by Wellyboot
Forgot my manners!

35 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Hurray!:)

most definitely not from Sweden!

Absolutely! 

'Swedish Log Candles' is actually a misnomer.

It is well documented that Vikings raided  in 987 and 997 at Watchet and the Battle of Cynwit. King Alfred was driven to seek refuge from the Danes at Athelney ... 

During these raids the Vikings noticed that the folks that lived on The Somerset Levels had developed a rather clever new type of fire, The Somerset Log Candle.

As the level dwellers lived in boggy and flooded terrain they had a problem with bonfires... The ground was always either wet or under water. That is why they developed the log candle.... It even works in a puddle. 

When the Vikings saw the log candles they immediately realised  that they would be perfect at home in the winter snow. The Vikings carried on using them but as The Levels got drained out the logs became almost forgotten in Somerset.

Famously in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_of_Somerset there is a petrified body of a Viking that has been preserved in the peat. He's been carbon dated to 990AD and was found face down in the bog, curled around a Somerset Log Candle clutching a bottle of Brother's Toffee Apple . 

Poor taste for a Viking!

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

4 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Absolutely! 

'Swedish Log Candles' is actually a misnomer.

It is well documented that Vikings raided  in 987 and 997 at Watchet and the Battle of Cynwit. King Alfred was driven to seek refuge from the Danes at Athelney ... 

During these raids the Vikings noticed that the folks that lived on The Somerset Levels had developed a rather clever new type of fire, The Somerset Log Candle.

As the level dwellers lived in boggy and flooded terrain they had a problem with bonfires... The ground was always either wet or under water. That is why they developed the log candle.... It even works in a puddle. 

When the Vikings saw the log candles they immediately realised  that they would be perfect at home in the winter snow. The Vikings carried on using them but as The Levels got drained out the logs became almost forgotten in Somerset.

Those Viking bastards!! :D

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

It looks like Somerset Log Candles will be available again this year. I'm no longer broken after last year's series of unfortunate events so able to work again :)

The Log Candles will be available to collect locally before the festival, available to buy from The Greenfields during the festival and hopefully I'll be able to deliver to the CV fields on the Tuesday late afternoon/early evening.

Anyone on here will get a discount and you will be able to reserve them , cash on collection. If you reserve one or more and don't manage to get it together to collect, no worrries, no charge....but try to avoid doing this if poss!

J

Hi, can you put me down for a couple to be delivered to East Campervan fields on Tuesday afternoon. Shall I DM you my mobile?

Also happy to act as a drop off/collection for others who may not be on site that early. :)

2 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

J

Buuuump 

12 hours ago, dirtymookie said:

I'll take two mate! I'll be in east camper on Tuesday at some point if you need a hand with deliveries.

Sorry. Down voted this totally by accident scrolling down. Sorry. Can someone please remedy