Lorde

jyoung

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I just don’t see it. Think commercially she’s as big as she’ll ever get and will continue at this level for the foreseeable. Obviously I’ve no idea what direction she’ll take in the future or if one of her songs becomes a Royals-esque mega hit which could change my opinion, but I think she’ll instead sit as a critical darling, huge in indie and music lover circles but never ascend to the mega star status a Glastonbury headliner (imo) requires. 

Love to be proven wrong though, and I’m incredibly stoked to hear her new stuff and then see her at Primavera next year. 

I really think she can go either way at this stage. This new record is pretty critical for her trajectory. I think she can get there - she’s put out two of the biggest bangers of the decade and clearly has that in her locker. Ultimately though we’ve only got two records to judge her from - one was massive and the second was less massive but a critical hit. Maybe this new record is both and she goes mega? She’s got the talent to do it.

I’d definitely be reserving any judgement until we get this new single, though. Could be a game changer.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I just don’t see it. Think commercially she’s as big as she’ll ever get and will continue at this level for the foreseeable. Obviously I’ve no idea what direction she’ll take in the future or if one of her songs becomes a Royals-esque mega hit which could change my opinion, but I think she’ll instead sit as a critical darling, huge in indie and music lover circles but never ascend to the mega star status a Glastonbury headliner (imo) requires. 

Love to be proven wrong though, and I’m incredibly stoked to hear her new stuff and then see her at Primavera next year. 

Why are we back to this megastar headliner checklist? Look at the 2019 headliners, nobody would call any of those three megastars, despite any of each of the artists merit. We've had Arcade Fire and Mumford headliner in the past 10 years. 😅

2 minutes ago, scattered_screens said:

Why are we back to this megastar headliner checklist? Look at the 2019 headliners, nobody would call any of those three megastars, despite any of each of the artists merit. We've had Arcade Fire and Mumford headliner in the past 10 years. 😅

Stormzy - Biggest representative of the burgeoning grime scene and a booking that was a genuine cultural moment.

Killers - Still selling out stadia and headlining festivals all over the world.

The Cure - Heritage act, headlined the festival previously. Sold out 80k BST the year before.

Lorde isn't even near those three yet.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Stormzy - Biggest representative of the burgeoning grime scene and a booking that was a genuine cultural moment.

Killers - Still selling out stadia and headlining festivals all over the world.

The Cure - Heritage act, headlined the festival previously. Sold out 80k BST the year before.

Lorde isn't even near those three yet.

Yet. 

Lorde has two albums out and folk are saying she's peaked etc. 

Yet. 

Lorde has two albums out and folk are saying she's peaked etc. 

She needs to be doing the sort of numbers the likes of Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish are doing before she's considered for the top job, I'm not quite convinced she will. I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time, we shall see.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

She needs to be doing the sort of numbers the likes of Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish are doing before she's considered for the top job, I'm not quite convinced she will. I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time, we shall see.

And I get this, but it's like we're going back to this 'X number of streams' type approach which isn't the best bar to gauge really is it. Arcade Fire who I love weren't exactly hitting big numbers in the Rekletor era. 

And I get this, but it's like we're going back to this 'X number of streams' type approach which isn't the best bar to gauge really is it. Arcade Fire who I love weren't exactly hitting big numbers in the Rekletor era. 

It’s easier for bands to get to the summit than pop acts, not saying it’s right but we all know it’s true.

Lorde has the credibility and the critical appeal to do it. She just needs the massive mainstream appeal, get that and she’s a shoo-in.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Royals was a #1 single in 2013. Green Light reached #20, and no others have been in the top 20. I don’t get this determination for her to be a Pyramid headliner - let nature take its course. 

I don’t think there’s a determination for her to be a headliner, I just think some of us can see her getting there if she makes the right moves/things go her way. She’s shown she can produce music that’s both critically acclaimed and commercially massive. If she puts it both together she could be enormous, but it’s not a guarantee it will happen.

There seems to be more of a determination that she’ll never get there...we’ve just got to see what happens, starting with this new release.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don’t think there’s a determination for her to be a headliner, I just think some of us can see her getting there if she makes the right moves/things go her way. She’s shown she can produce music that’s both critically acclaimed and commercially massive. If she puts it both together she could be enormous, but it’s not a guarantee it will happen.

There seems to be more of a determination that she’ll never get there...we’ve just got to see what happens, starting with this new release.

Yeah that's my personal frustration with some of the chat. The same people pretending to be gatekeepers of what is or isn't a headliner and talking down anyone who tries to suggest anything other than these magically pre-determined headliners. I'll just know in future never to mention hopes for a headliner that isn't part of this set group 🙂 

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

There seems to be more of a determination that she’ll never get there...

I don’t think anyone’s saying that. She’s clearly not there now, but this album could propel her to the next level, or else cement her current status. The main thing though is that she continues to release great music.

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I don’t think anyone’s saying that. She’s clearly not there now, but this album could propel her to the next level, or else cement her current status. The main thing though is that she continues to release great music.

Then we’re all arguing the same point 😂

10 minutes ago, scattered_screens said:

Yeah that's my personal frustration with some of the chat. The same people pretending to be gatekeepers of what is or isn't a headliner and talking down anyone who tries to suggest anything other than these magically pre-determined headliners. I'll just know in future never to mention hopes for a headliner that isn't part of this set group 🙂 

I think the point you and I are getting at is that we need fresh headliners at some point, and Lorde is part of that group that has the potential to get there if the chips fall in to place. We just need to see what this new album does.

There’s nothing wrong with rooting for an act to get there though. This is a Lorde thread and most of us here are big fans. I couldn’t really care less about how big she gets as long as she’s happy and doing what she wants to do, but the Pyramid is the best stage in music so of course I’d love to see her there one day, and I think she could do it in the future.

Edited by jparx

11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Wolf Alice - Lorde - Pet Shop Boys would be quite a trio for the Other.

Corrrrrrrr that would be alright wouldn't it?!

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don’t think Lorde is anywhere near a Pyramid headline slot yet and I’m not quite convinced she will ever be. Think she’s the Foals/1975 of the pop world.

There are a good four of five acts ahead of her in the queue too.

Spot on. Lorde will probs always get critical acclaim and stuff like that but I don't think she will be a Glasto headliner.

If Arcade Fire can headline off a few critically acclaimed albums so can Lorde. Sub Pyramid now then back in an album or two to headline, providing they're just as good as her records thus far. If they're not as good then she may just become an act that subs and never quite makes it.

She also doesn't tour and release albums relentlessly so there's likely to always be a buzz when she releases stuff.

To dismiss her completely now doesn't make much sense.

• Upvote 1

I can’t see Lorde headlining for the same reason I can’t see Frank Ocean headlining. I see them both kinda similar in that they are strong hype bookings that get critical acclaim, but they aren’t quite large enough to headline the whole thing.

Both acts which probably suit a front and centre headline slot at a more mid-sized festival. 

Edited by Matt42

5 hours ago, cwaite123 said:

If Arcade Fire can headline off a few critically acclaimed albums so can Lorde. Sub Pyramid now then back in an album or two to headline, providing they're just as good as her records thus far. If they're not as good then she may just become an act that subs and never quite makes it.

She also doesn't tour and release albums relentlessly so there's likely to always be a buzz when she releases stuff.

To dismiss her completely now doesn't make much sense.

Arcade Fire were headlining arenas on their second album. Lorde was struggling to sell out academy venues. They weren't just critically popular - they were actual popular too. Besides, they came at a point in time where those sorts of bands could actually rise to headline status, a new artist to rise like Arcade Fire won't happen in all probability.

Robyn is the perfect comparison. She went from brief chart success to making interesting, personal pop without the desperation to chart well. She gets a lot of respect for it and plays to loyal fans and even headlines a festival or two. They can't all headline Glastonbury, as nice as a fresh angle on headliners would be.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Arcade Fire were headlining arenas on their second album. Lorde was struggling to sell out academy venues. They weren't just critically popular - they were actual popular too. Besides, they came at a point in time where those sorts of bands could actually rise to headline status, a new artist to rise like Arcade Fire won't happen in all probability.

Robyn is the perfect comparison. She went from brief chart success to making interesting, personal pop without the desperation to chart well. She gets a lot of respect for it and plays to loyal fans and even headlines a festival or two. They can't all headline Glastonbury, as nice as a fresh angle on headliners would be.

I agree with you, the one thing I don’t want to happen though is for her to become one of those acts which only does mid-sized festivals because they book her as a headliner. I don’t want her to avoid the big guns festivals just because she’s unlikely to headline them.

I don’t want her to become like the strokes… basically 

Edited by Matt42