2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory and The Masterplan are all good to great albums with some massive bangers and tunes that have had massive cultural significance (there can’t be many under 60’s out there who don’t know Wonderwall for example). It’s just too bad there isn’t enough material to make one decent album from the five or six that followed. There’s a reason both Gallaghers’ solo sets lean heavily on the early days. 

Their main legacy however was as forerunners to the era of lairy lad rock. Of piss throwing, coked up idiots trying to cause as much trouble at gigs as they can. They set the template for the likes of Kasabian, Courteeners and Bobfish and the Fancymen to follow.

I think it's a bit ignorant to call that their 'main legacy.' 

You'll be surprised how many great bands in modern contemporary pop music are heavily influenced by their ability to write a really simple 'big' chorus. 

Just now, eFestivals said:

because no one wrote simple 'big' chorus' before them? :blink::lol: 

people were rapping before biggie and tupac, but they are the ones who are considered the best at what they did.

I'm not even their biggest fan but Oasis were very very good at writing a 'simple' big chorus, it inspired so many to try it theirself - especially when they played the 'we're the lads from a council estate' card. People genuinely believed they could do it. 

@TheNoise I think it's a fair question and I'll do my best to answer it, though I declare in advance my response is highly subjective and based almost exclusively on my own experiences. (Apologies in advance for the long reply);

I turned 37 this year so I was at secondary school/high school for the majority of the 90s when (to steal Hugh's phrase once more) the Oasis cultural phenomenon began (and indeed peaked). It was a school in Glasgow's east end which was surrounded by some of the cities most deprived areas meaning that it was, it's fair to say, a bit rough. The reason I mention this is that in turn that meant there was quite a bit of what's now known as 'toxic masculinity' on show. An example being a mate of mine at the time who played guitar and was regularly slagged off by the harder kids for doing so. Playing any kind of instrument, even the guitar, was seen as being either 'gay' or old fashioned. I remember one particularly thick ned (as we call chavs in Scotland) took to calling him 'Ringo', there was no irony on his part, he just managed to pick the only Beatles that *didn't* actually play guitar. About the only kind of music that was socially acceptable at that time was bootlegged hard house dance cassettes and The Time Frequency (they were local lads), anything else was viewed with suspicion. That was the norm for the first couple of years.

When we came back after the summer holidays in 1994 things started to change... People started talking about this band Oasis, particularly the singer. Over the next 6 months there was a massive change in the culture. The same guys that slagged my mate off were picking up instruments (almost exclusively guitars tbf, I think one guy went for drums, probably cause they made the most noise), boys were dressing like them, growing their hair. They were listening to Noel's interviews and picking up on his influences and going back and listening to the Sex Pistols, Smiths and The Beatles (maybe that guy finally found out at that point Ringo was the drummer? Anyway) and coming back into school and talking about them. We started bands, they were dreadful (in our particular band we have 5 guitarist, a reluctant drummer and no singer, I'm still dumbfounded we never made it). Between 1994 and 1997 Oasis where *everywhere* and their influence truly transcended their music. For my money much of this is down to Liam and Noel and people - predominately young, working class men - finding someone in mainstream music they could identify with and idolise. Radiohead, Pulp and Blur were all regarded as either too geeky, posh or arty. Whereas in Oasis, particularly Liam, they saw themselves and what they could be. I think this was a hugely powerful and fundamental connection which has endured to this day and why, I'd hazard a guess, their music continues to connect with the younger end of that demographic.

The downside of this is, as Hugh mentions above, unfortunately much of the 'toxic masculinity' I mentioned earlier didn't disappear, instead it was channeled into bad behaviour, more often that not at gigs, where Liam's persona and the bands 'madferrit' attitude undoubtedly helped fuel that behaviour.

Oasis' musical output and live performances were always inconsistent, one great album (Definitely Maybe) one good album (WTSMG), and the rest somewhere between average and forgettable. I saw them multiple times over the years and unfortunately the were disappointing more that they were great. However that being said when they were great, they were outstanding. Even with that patchy history the aforementioned connection with people who other bands simply can't connect with and enough recognisable songs from their heyday mean that a reunion would be a huge deal and, even 20-25 years after they were at their best, most festivals would be delighted to host.

tl;dr - watch 'Supersonic', not only a brilliant documentary but will give probably answer your question better than I have.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

36 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

I think it's a bit ignorant to call that their 'main legacy.' 

You'll be surprised how many great bands in modern contemporary pop music are heavily influenced by their ability to write a really simple 'big' chorus. 

I wouldn’t say it’s ignorant at all. They spawned a whole lairy lad culture that you still see at certain gigs, football stadia and nightspots to this day.

Plus most of the bands they influenced are shite.

32 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

But the only peeps who think 'best' for anything of Oasis are a particular type.

not sure I agree, see where you're coming from tho.

Im certain that if you look across any fans of a certain genre their will be people who cite oasis as one of the best bands ever. 

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I wouldn’t say it’s ignorant at all. They spawned a whole lairy lad culture that you still see at certain gigs, football stadia and nightspots to this day.

Did they though? Did you not get d*ckheads at gigs before the Oasis days? I'd hazard a guess that many punk nights were full of overly-aggressive and violent knobheads as well. As with anything, it's the minority which give the majority a bad rep.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory and The Masterplan are all good to great albums with some massive bangers and tunes that have had massive cultural significance (there can’t be many under 60’s out there who don’t know Wonderwall for example). It’s just too bad there isn’t enough material to make one decent album from the five or six that followed. There’s a reason both Gallaghers’ solo sets lean heavily on the early days. 

Their main legacy however was as forerunners to the era of lairy lad rock. Of piss throwing, coked up idiots trying to cause as much trouble at gigs as they can. They set the template for the likes of Kasabian, Courteeners and Bobfish and the Fancymen to follow.

Fake noos, bottles of piss were thrown long before. Ask Bonnie Tyler.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

@TheNoise I think it's a fair question and I'll do my best to answer it, though I declare in advance my response is highly subjective and based almost exclusively on my own experiences. (Apologies in advance for the long reply);

I turned 37 this year so I was at secondary school/high school for the majority of the 90s when (to steal Hugh's phrase once more) the Oasis cultural phenomenon began (and indeed peaked). It was a school in Glasgow's east end which was surrounded by some of the cities most deprived areas meaning that it was, it's fair to say, a bit rough. The reason I mention this is that in turn that meant there was quite a bit of what's now known as 'toxic masculinity' on show. An example being a mate of mine at the time who played guitar and was regularly slagged off by the harder kids for doing so. Playing any kind of instrument, even the guitar, was seen as being either 'gay' or old fashioned. I remember one particularly thick ned (as we call chavs in Scotland) took to calling him 'Ringo', there was no irony on his part, he just managed to pick the only Beatles that *didn't* actually play guitar. About the only kind of music that was socially acceptable at that time was bootlegged hard house dance cassettes and The Time Frequency (they were local lads), anything else was viewed with suspicion. That was the norm for the first couple of years.

When we came back after the summer holidays in 1994 things started to change... People started talking about this band Oasis, particularly the singer. Over the next 6 months there was a massive change in the culture. The same guys that slagged my mate off were picking up instruments (almost exclusively guitars tbf, I think one guy went for drums, probably cause they made the most noise), boys were dressing like them, growing their hair. They were listening to Noel's interviews and picking up on his influences and going back and listening to the Sex Pistols, Smiths and The Beatles (maybe that guy finally found out at that point Ringo was the drummer? Anyway) and coming back into school and talking about them. We started bands, they were dreadful (in our particular band we have 5 guitarist, a reluctant drummer and no singer, I'm still dumbfounded we never made it). Between 1994 and 1997 Oasis where *everywhere* and their influence truly transcended their music. For my money much of this is down to Liam and Noel and people - predominately young, working class men - finding someone in mainstream music they could identify with and idolise. Radiohead, Pulp and Blur were all regarded as either too geeky, posh or arty. Whereas in Oasis, particularly Liam, they saw themselves and what they could be. I think this was a hugely powerful and fundamental connection which has endured to this day and why, I'd hazard a guess, their music continues to connect with the younger end of that demographic.

The downside of this is, as Hugh mentions above, unfortunately much of the 'toxic masculinity' I mentioned earlier didn't disappear, instead it was channeled into bad behaviour, more often that not at gigs, where Liam's persona and the bands 'madferrit' attitude undoubtedly helped fuel that behaviour.

Oasis' musical output and live performances were always inconsistent, one great album (Definitely Maybe) one good album (WTSMG), and the rest somewhere between average and forgettable. I saw them multiple times over the years and unfortunately the were disappointing more that they were great. However that being said when they were great, they were outstanding. Even with that patchy history the aforementioned connection with people who other bands simply can't connect with and enough recognisable songs from their heyday mean that a reunion would be a huge deal and, even 20-25 years after they were at their best, most festivals would be delighted to host.

tl;dr - watch 'Supersonic', not only a brilliant documentary but will give probably answer your question better than I have.

Thank you for your well thought out and articulate answer, that does explain a lot.

Weirdly, or maybe not so weirdly, I always think of Kevin and Perry when I think of Oasis, now I know why :P

I missed all that, I'm 51 so my age group were never going to be influenced by somebody like them, when I was at school my big love was Blondie, the harder kids were into Saxon, Iron Maiden, Motorhead.

Two little side notes, firstly, I'm married to a Glaswegian, one much older than you so all that passed him by too, not to mention that he'd moved down to London in the 70's. Secondly, for a moment I thought I was on Reddit when I saw tl;dr.

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Googled ‘bands Oasis influenced’ and it came up with Keane, Snow Patrol and Maroon 5. That’s..not who I was expecting :lol: 

26 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Did they though? Did you not get d*ckheads at gigs before the Oasis days? I'd hazard a guess that many punk nights were full of overly-aggressive and violent knobheads as well. As with anything, it's the minority which give the majority a bad rep.

Oh dickheads have existed since before time began, Oasis just became a focal point for them.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I rest my case.

Two or three of Maroon 5’s albums slap hard tbf. Shite tryhards now though. And the world definitely could’ve done without Snow Patrol attempting their flop of a comeback, shits and giggles notwithstanding.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy