2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

13 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Weirdly my 19yo neice wanted Definitely Maybe on vinyl for her recent birthday. Apparently, according to her, there's a bit of a revival of their early stuff going on. I scoffed at that until she pointed out it was 24 years old and was the equivalent of me buying early 70's stuff when I was 19 (2005).

Was a sobering moment of realisation that made me feel very old.

Christ, I should have been asking for 78’s of George Formby 

6 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Oasis might have their musical shortcomings but....there aren't many better opening tracks on a debut. Still sends a tingle down my spine.

I Wanna Be Adored

Zuton Fever

I Saw Her Standing There

Neighborhood #1(Tunnels)

Since I Left You

Time Has Told Me

Little Fluffy Clouds

Leave Home

Pablo Honey

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Username taken said:

Definitely Maybe came out 24 years ago and its probably 22 years since they were at their absolute peak, 9 years since they split up and people are still talking about them, so I'd stick my neck out and say people will continue to talk about them.  Both the brothers still sell out arenas. Their solo albums have gone platinum and topped the charts. I'm not sure you could say that Oasis were anything other than huge, and will continue to be so.

This. And will be for decades upon decades, whether people like them or not.

How about these from debuts:

Please please please

Ghost rider 

Keep On Movin

I will follow

10.15 Saturday night

Blitzkrieg bop

Janie Jones

Blue suede shoes 

Sunday morning

Sister midnight

Good times bad times 

Break on through to the other side 

Moving

Welcome to the jungle

A message to you Rudy

Straight outta Compton 

You’re gonna get yours

Disorder 

New life

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Username taken said:

Definitely Maybe came out 24 years ago and its probably 22 years since they were at their absolute peak, 9 years since they split up and people are still talking about them, so I'd stick my neck out and say people will continue to talk about them.  Both the brothers still sell out arenas. Their solo albums have gone platinum and topped the charts. I'm not sure you could say that Oasis were anything other than huge, and will continue to be so.

Most of that passed me by.................

Genuine interest here and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but are people still talking about their music ? The only time I've heard them mentioned in recent years - other than on here - was about them being a couple of knobheads who like the Beatles and fighting.

I know they were big, my brother was a fan, but as swedge said

4 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

it's no stretch to say that Radiohead, Pulp, Blur were all better

so what is it that makes them so long lasting ?

It's not because I don't like them, I never liked Take That either, but I understand their appeal more. I can't help wondering how much is media manipulation, picking fights with other singers - Robbie Williams springs to mind, or very public fights between themselves.

5 minutes ago, TheNoise said:

It's not because I don't like them, I never liked Take That either, but I understand their appeal more. I can't help wondering how much is media manipulation, picking fights with other singers - Robbie Williams springs to mind, or very public fights between themselves.

I’m not their biggest fan by any stretch (much much prefer Radiohead and Blur) but Oasis wrote Wonderwall and Don’t Look Back In Anger. I’m 28 and everyone around that age seems to know every word to it whether they wanted to or not. 

The media and image helps but they wrote some of the biggest ‘anthems’ of the decade. Even if their shite output outweighed their good, they were always going to last because of the way those early songs lodged in so many people’s consciousness 

17 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Gonna pop in with my usual contribution to this discussion which is that oasis were a trash band who produced nothing of value and their enduring popularity is a miserable tragedy of our culture. 

Slide Away is better than anything Hinds have ever done (speaking of which my friend saw Hinds tonight).

1 hour ago, strummer77 said:

I’m not their biggest fan by any stretch (much much prefer Radiohead and Blur) but Oasis wrote Wonderwall and Don’t Look Back In Anger. I’m 28 and everyone around that age seems to know every word to it whether they wanted to or not. 

The media and image helps but they wrote some of the biggest ‘anthems’ of the decade. Even if their shite output outweighed their good, they were always going to last because of the way those early songs lodged in so many people’s consciousness 

I do know all the words to those songs, but tbf I also know all the words to "I'm a barbie girl" and "Wannabe". If I hear a song over 10 times and the lyrics are a bit basic, then I have a hard time NOT knowing the words. Thats not really a great way to judge the quality of a song. 

Oasis has never rubbed me the right way. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheNoise said:

Most of that passed me by.................

Genuine interest here and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but are people still talking about their music ? The only time I've heard them mentioned in recent years - other than on here - was about them being a couple of knobheads who like the Beatles and fighting.

Oasis had great songs to bellow out at the end of a drunken night in the pub. Patchy quality absolutely, but sometimes simple works better than being all arty and likely to have wider appeal.

As well as warring with each other there was the so called war with Blur and the media hype associated with that.

Then knebworth...bands just don't do gigs on this scale anymore. A quick look on wiki and it says over 2.5 million people applied for tickets.  

Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory and The Masterplan are all good to great albums with some massive bangers and tunes that have had massive cultural significance (there can’t be many under 60’s out there who don’t know Wonderwall for example). It’s just too bad there isn’t enough material to make one decent album from the five or six that followed. There’s a reason both Gallaghers’ solo sets lean heavily on the early days. 

Their main legacy however was as forerunners to the era of lairy lad rock. Of piss throwing, coked up idiots trying to cause as much trouble at gigs as they can. They set the template for the likes of Kasabian, Courteeners and Bobfish and the Fancymen to follow.

Edited by Hugh Jass

5 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I do know all the words to those songs, but tbf I also know all the words to "I'm a barbie girl" and "Wannabe". If I hear a song over 10 times and the lyrics are a bit basic, then I have a hard time NOT knowing the words. Thats not really a great way to judge the quality of a song. 

I think if you read the post I wasn’t on about them being high quality songs. The answer was why do they endure. And it’s partly because they have a few really huge songs that people can sing-along with. Ones that twat with an acoustic guitar looking for a singsong can drag out. They’ve become genuine anthems for a culture  

And as for ‘Wannabe’, I guess that’s sort of the same point. The Spice Girls have somehow endured to a degree they’re still selling out stadiums despite being crap. As for Barrie Girl... you have no excuse. 

Edited by strummer77