2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

21 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

That's never happened since the ticket sale moved to October (2009) so it would be a surprise.

In 2008 they announced Jay Z, Kings of Leon and The Verve in February, tickets on sale in April, sold out (supposedly) the day before the festival started.

2cmbcl.jpg

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

That's never happened since the ticket sale moved to October (2009) so it would be a surprise.

In 2008 they announced Jay Z, Kings of Leon and The Verve in February, tickets on sale in April, sold out (supposedly) the day before the festival started.

Radiohead was the earliest announcement I can remember. 

I do think we’ll get another early one this year though. We’ve been starved for too long.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Radiohead was the earliest announcement I can remember. 

I do think we’ll get another early one this year though. We’ve been starved for too long.

It was the earliest, beating REM by 4 days.

Could defo see Fleetwood Mac in 2019 and Macca in 2020 (as others have said, I can't see them booking both in the same year). Can't get a more ideal act for the big anniversary, really (and I'm not a huge fan). I hope that if they do put emphasis on it being the 50th anniversary they go for special acts in general as opposed to special acts to Glastonbury (i.e. Coldplay).

Think Arctic Monkeys will defo play one of those two years, as well, and Elton John either as a headliner or legend in 2020.

Also think Beach Boys are our most likely 2019 legends right now.

In terms of new headliners, Stormzy and The 1975 have got to be the most obvious shouts right now, for me.

2019: The 1975, Arctic Monkeys, Fleetwood Mac, (Beach Boys legend)

2020: Stormzy, Coldplay, Paul McCartney (Elton John legend)

If they don't go with Coldplay then maybe shift Arctic Monkeys to 2020 and fill their slot with a big pop act (Kendrick or Taylor Swift perhaps). I think that makes 2019 look more balanced and 2020 look better on account of not having Coldplay. If they're desperate to play the anniversary let them have a secret set or a special guest sub slot or something. Don't mess up the headliners just to fit in a band who already do it too often.

Saying all that, I don't really see them booking The 1975 to headline until they've successfully headlined elsewhere (most likely R&L). So in that case maybe shift them out for someone like Kendrick (if he's still touring).

This turned into a bit of a ramble unintentionally. Ultimately it's pretty pointless until we have a better indication of who's going to be touring around then.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

This turned into a bit of a ramble unintentionally. Ultimately it's pretty pointless until we have a better indication of who's going to be touring around then.

Looking forward to the Acts Touring Around Glastonbury thread. Always a highlight.

19 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Looking forward to the Acts Touring Around Glastonbury thread. Always a highlight.

That's always the best thread tbh. Finishing a day of work/uni, seeing that thread is hot, clicking it and seeing Nine Inch Nails have announced a gig in Paris the day before Glastonbury. GOAT stuff.

2 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Trying to put together of concrete rumours. So far we've got

• Eavis saying it would be a good idea for Culture Club to do Legends Slot
  • Paul McCartney saying he'd Headline if he was asked.

Any more? 

The Streets offered Pyramid sub/Other headline according to someone on here who's provided good info in past.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd be prepared to bet that Emily has had informal conversations with at least two of Damon Albarn, Jarvis and Chris Martin about headlining in 2020 and they've said yes in theory if it's doable.

Probably even all three of them.

I for one hope the Glastonbury 2020 'Greatest Hits' lineup curation doesn't come to pass.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Difficult to gauge the popularity of bands 3 years hence, and the possible heritage acts certainly aren't going to be thinking that far ahead.  

Time to start building your supermarket trolley costume for Common People.

Pulp can ride. They haven't headlined for donkeys years.

Coldplay breaking their self imposed exile to go through the few songs that haven't seen the Pyramid Stage, and the Blurs trying not to make eye contact with one another while Albarn wheezes through Girls and Boys? Hell to the nope.

edit: I'm taking a milk carton costume anyway.

Edited by dentalplan

31 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

on the basis of what Emily told me a year ago about already having two bands for 2020 - as well as Macca just confirming he's not one of them - I reckon that's probably unlikely.

Could he not be the other potentially and they just haven't asked him again? Can't imagine all 3 in place 2 years in advance.. surely

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Pulp can ride. They haven't headlined for donkeys years.

Coldplay breaking their self imposed exile to go through the few songs that haven't seen the Pyramid Stage, and the Blurs trying not to make eye contact with one another while Albarn wheezes through Girls and Boys? Hell to the nope.

You dont have to like it; you just need to succumb to the inevitable.  There's no chance of Emily Eavis, circa summer 2017, promising a headlining slot to, say, The XX on a 3 year lead time.