2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I understand the thought process behind the buzz around Kendrick but the point about RW being moved in the past to share a headliner with GF, if that has happened this time is it not for The Cure? Not inconceivable that they could share 2 headliners but how often does that actually happen?

Nah cos The Cure are playing European festivals over a large range of dates, including the usual Werchter weekend. If the date change is to be able to book a certain act, it'll be someone who isn't in Europe for long.

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Huh? Who?

Dolly and Kasabian.. I know the Dollster played fourth from top but she'd have had a headlining fee, and she was all anyone including the organisers and the media talked about all weekend apart from Jack White.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Nah cos The Cure are playing European festivals over a large range of dates, including the usual Werchter weekend. If the date change is to be able to book a certain act, it'll be someone who isn't in Europe for long.

When was the last time that GF had 2 of the same headliners as RW? 

9 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I understand the thought process behind the buzz around Kendrick but the point about RW being moved in the past to share a headliner with GF, if that has happened this time is it not for The Cure? Not inconceivable that they could share 2 headliners but how often does that actually happen?

From the notes I had about line-ups of GF and RW I would (quickly) say:

2017: Radiohead and Foo Fighters
2016: None
2015: "Florence"
2014: Metallica
2013: None
2012: None

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Arcade Fire and Elbow?

Why were Elbow any different to any other sub?

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Dolly and Kasabian.. I know the Dollster played fourth from top but she'd have had a headlining fee, and she was all anyone including the organisers and the media talked about all weekend apart from Jack White.

Fair enough, but it's clearly not a "co-headline", it just so happened that the legend slot was a massive deal that year.

Just now, Doug85 said:

When was the last time that GF had 2 of the same headliners as RW? 

I think 2003, when all three Glasto headliners played RW. But I'd imagine that is purely down to circumstance, due to the amount of other festivals acts can play, and the different approaches in booking headliners between the two festivals (e.g. you won't see Glasto booking the likes of Rammstein/Pearl Jam every other year like RW do, and you're less likely to see mammoth pop stars like Adele/Sheeran at RW). I don't see why anything would stop two festivals in different countries sharing headliners, and why either of them would care.

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Though no-one will be there to hear her new material

Sadly, the same can be said for most acts a certain way into their career but more people bought Kylie's new album than Paul McCartney's.  "Dancing" and "Stop Me From Falling" will both get a reasonably good reception.   They both had good radio play and were performed on a few big TV shows so have probably wormed their way into the sub-conscious of most causal listeners.

21 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yep. Dolly got this spot on: self-knowingly referenced the fact she wouldn't be there without something to promote by way of introduction to one 'new' song early in the set, then got straight back to the bangers from thereon out.

A different beast though.   When Dolly did the legend slot, she hadn't had a top 40 hit for 31 years!   Kylie really isn't trading on former glories to the extent of those usually in that slot.

To extend the list:

Both headliners RW and GF:

2016: -
2013: -
2011: Coldplay
2010: Muse
2009: -
2008: -
2007: AM
2005: -
2004: Muse
2003: REM, Radiohead and Moby
2002: Coldplay
2000: -

So yeah... Two shared headliners would be some kind of a rarity. At least for RW you can be assured: you'll get repeat headliners.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Meh. Still wants to promote her new material rather than embrace her legacy status when she hasn't put out anything interesting in a decade, and it's been far too easy to catch her in the last few years if you wanted to. The hits will go down well and it's a nice narrative that she's finally coming to the Farm after 2005 but it can't have been hard to snare her.

Yeah, these damn artists tying to continue releasing music instead of just cashing in on what they did 20 years ago. Almost as bad as those artists that keep cynically cashing in by just touring the crap they released 20 years ago instead of getting in the studio and putting some new music out there.

22 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I don't see why anything would stop two festivals in different countries sharing headliners, and why either of them would care.

I wasn't suggesting that they would care merely asking if it was a rare thing for those two festivals to share headliners. Exclusivity sometimes comes into it but less so when they are in different countries. GF did make a big deal about having Adele's only festival appearance though but it was Adele to be fair. 

Interesting that it seems to be rare that they share headliners though until 2017 with Radiohead and Foos. With the limited amount of viable headliners supposedly around now we may see this happening more and more?

4 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

To extend the list:

Both headliners RW and GF:

2016: -
2013: -
2011: Coldplay
2010: Muse
2009: -
2008: -
2007: AM
2005: -
2004: Muse
2003: REM, Radiohead and Moby
2002: Coldplay
2000: -

So yeah... Two shared headliners would be some kind of a rarity. At least for RW you can be assured: you'll get repeat headliners.

Smashing work.