2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

LDR was one of the main reasons my gf agreed to go this year. If the bad news keep coming I guess we might be returning tickets after all... 

Always baffled by those who want to return tickets because of a name or 2 (or lack of) on a lineup. Sure there will be plenty who would love those tickets to go back in the pot 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

Always baffled by those who want to return tickets because of a name or 2 (or lack of) on a lineup. Sure there will be plenty who would love those tickets to go back in the pot 

I am sure there will be plenty of acts for me but it may not be the case for her, who just likes a few bands and singers. Anyway there is still time. 

33 minutes ago, Anarion said:

After reading "If we end up with Stormzy, The Strokes and The Cure, I honestly think it could be argued that IOW has a better set of headliners" I went on isleofwightfestival.com. I really expected to find bigger names than Noel Gallagher, George Ezra and what might be the worst band of all time in Biffy Clyro.

That this can compete with anything is just crazy talk.

IOW line-up is rubbish. It always is. It's to be expected.

I honestly think this years Glasto headliners are just as bad. Imagine if IOW announced Stormzy, The Cure and The Strokes  for their 2019 headliners lol

It's only cos it's Glastonbury they will get away with it. And that's fair enough. 

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

are there any festivals on the first weekend of July that The Strokes could be announced to headline?

because they're hardly going to haul themselves to Europe to play Glastonbury, then sit around for 2 weeks doing nothing until their Spain gigs (and then France the following weekend)...

Sure there will be

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

are there any festivals on the first weekend of July that The Strokes could be announced to headline?

because they're hardly going to haul themselves to Europe to play Glastonbury, then sit around for 2 weeks doing nothing until their Spain gigs (and then France the following weekend)...

JC + The Voidz came to Europe for one festival last summer, and I’m sure they weren’t being paid as much as The Strokes would be either.

Loads of major bands just fly in and out, particularly ones - like The Strokes - where they have nothing to promote and no need to try and fill all the gaps with anything they can get.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

JC + The Voidz came to Europe for one festival last summer, and I’m sure they weren’t being paid as much as The Strokes would be either. 

Loads of major bands just fly in and out, particularly ones - like The Strokes - where they have nothing to promote and no need to try and fill all the gaps with anything they can get. 

well then no reason to discount APE as was being done by some a few pages ago...

5 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Worst comes to it they can probably knock out a few one off gigs.

54 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

LDR was one of the main reasons my gf agreed to go this year. If bad news keep coming I guess we might be returning tickets after all... 

mental

33 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

They are going to clash the strokes and chemical brothers aren't they :(

liberal use of the word 'clash' there

56 minutes ago, Henrik said:

IOW line-up is rubbish. It always is. It's to be expected.

I honestly think this years Glasto headliners are just as bad. Imagine if IOW announced Stormzy, The Cure and The Strokes  for their 2019 headliners lol

It's only cos it's Glastonbury they will get away with it. And that's fair enough. 

I highly doubt that. In fact I'd say it's the opposite.

Lots of people on here wish for The Strokes to come to Europe each year and would probably go to APE or BST or whatever to catch them but there are a lot of people in here who see them as not big/relevant enough to headline Glastonbury. I'm sure they'd be viewed as a decent get by IOW.

The Cure are similar, loved by lots of people on here but also seen by lots as not big/relevant enough to headline Glasto, but still a good headliner for most festivals, especially IOW who seemingly have an older clientele.

Stormzy; well he's probably no bigger than those IOW headliners but he's a fresh booking being given a chance to headline his first major festival and it's an exciting event, even to some who aren't into his music. George Ezra is also headlining his first major festival there, sure, but I doubt many people are excited to see what he pulls out of the bag. Stormzy being announced caused loads of talking points amongst everyone I know going to Glasto and even people I know who aren't going have spoken to me about it several times. If George Ezra had been announced to headline I doubt there'd have been anything other than laughter and bemusement about it.

The worst thing about those IOW headliners is that they're everywhere all the time. I could have probably seen each one of them like 20 times over the last few years if I wanted to. I wouldn't have been able to see The Strokes or The Cure even once over the last few years if I'd tried.

9 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I highly doubt that. In fact I'd say it's the opposite.

Lots of people on here wish for The Strokes to come to Europe each year and would probably go to APE or BST or whatever to catch them but there are a lot of people in here who see them as not big/relevant enough to headline Glastonbury. I'm sure they'd be viewed as a decent get by IOW.

The Cure are similar, loved by lots of people on here but also seen by lots as not big/relevant enough to headline Glasto, but still a good headliner for most festivals, especially IOW who seemingly have an older clientele.

Stormzy; well he's probably no bigger than those IOW headliners but he's a fresh booking being given a chance to headline his first major festival and it's an exciting event, even to some who aren't into his music. George Ezra is also headlining his first major festival there, sure, but I doubt many people are excited to see what he pulls out of the bag. Stormzy being announced caused loads of talking points amongst everyone I know going to Glasto and even people I know who aren't going have spoken to me about it several times. If George Ezra had been announced to headline I doubt there'd have been anything other than laughter and bemusement about it.

The worst thing about those IOW headliners is that they're everywhere all the time. I could have probably seen each one of them like 20 times over the last few years if I wanted to. I wouldn't have been able to see The Strokes or The Cure even once over the last few years if I'd tried.

Fair play. Some good points. 

6 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Stormzy, The Strokes and The Cure is stronger than NGHFB, George Ezra and Biffy Clyro, without question.

Yeah, honestly, I'm not in any way suggesting those IOW headliners are good. It's middle of the road at best. It's what we expect. My point was the Glastonbury headliners, for me, don't look much better. They wouldn't look out of place at the top of the IOW line-up.