Comedy/Cabaret

Chipbarm

11 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Very much this. Or, probably even more unlikely, Stewart Lee. His 'Glastonbury diary' article for Vox in '95 is a great read: http://www.fistoffun.net/downloads/1995-vox_magazine-stewart_lee-glastonbury_diary.pdf

Not sure if I could handle Stewart Lee in the context of Glastonbury.  I'd need to think a bit too much.

Man Getting Hit By Football is about my limit for the weekend.

Love the place. watched kevin eldon there in 11 and got a lovely backrub from a nice woman i'd never met. best thing is just dipping in there for half an hour and watching whatever's on. a nice and necessary gear shift from the constant schlepping from stage to stage. i've ended up sacking off bands i thought i really wanted to see purely because i was having such a good time in the cabaret tent

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

When you're wandering around, just go into the caberat tent and watch whatever is on.

If the act is a bit crap, stay anyway, cos they'll be over in a few minutes. Then you'll have a compere who is likely to be funny, and the chances are the next act will be great if the last one was crap.

Just about all the famous comics of the Al Murray generation I saw in the cabaret tent at Glasto before they had major fame. 

Shall do. Often do linger around the circus area on the Thursday and seen a few random acts, but never a comedian. Although last time I was there I got stung by a wasp right in the ear :( 

2 hours ago, Larraht said:

Foes anyone know why Glastonbury doesn't pull big comedians (russell brand/ricky gervais/chris rock etc)? Is it the money? It seems odd when they bring in the biggest music acts in the world but comedian wise it just seems we end up with mock of the week types.

Money and also the tent capacity isn't big enough to justify it - Bill Bailey used to do it most years but it became ridiculous as the number wanting to get in was so much higher than could fit. That said the Theatre fields as a whole have a sizeable budget, it's just split over 15-odd stages. 

Famous comedians are not like famous bands. With famous bands you want to hear their back catalogue. A comic who told the same jokes for his whole career probably wouldn't get very far.

There's a weird number that do. It's more prevalent in the US as you really don't have to turnover material as much as it's huge and you can not play the same town for years. But I know acts who make a really good living off the same club set they've been doing for ten years. Phil Nichol is one example - he's got a killer club 20 that always storms it and has been doing it for years. But then he's also done a bunch of one-hour shows of completely different stuff that he's toured and done at festivals.

Just about all the famous comics of the Al Murray generation I saw in the cabaret tent at Glasto before they had major fame. 

Flight of the Conchords in 2003 was the "gone on to biggest things" act I've seen there.

2 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

In 2015 watched Frisky & Mannish who were brilliant. They didn't return last year but got my fingers crossed they may show up this year.

I seem to vaguely remember Frisky was doing a solo thing at some point last year. But under a different name so I didn't even spot it until after the festival.

Mannish was definitely up to something on his todd at last year's fringe.

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Phil Nichol is one example - he's got a killer club 20 that always storms it and has been doing it for years.

Good lord do I not need to see that again.  As soon as his t-shirt goes up over his head it's time to bail.

1 hour ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I think where I saw Frisky & Mannish can't have been the Cabaret tent as it was not a tent I was in. Just a very small stage with some grass in front of it.

That might have been the Sensation Seekers stage which is close to the Cabaret tent. Seen a great act there Abandoman who were a mix of music and comedy.

2 hours ago, naughtygeorgie said:

I think we saw a random American pair, with a wheel, singing random songs in random styles, picked by the wheel....I think, may have imagined the whole thing! 

They were really good, I saw them too I think on a recommendation from someone on here!

I would definitely echo the just turn up and see whats on thing. The standard on cabaret is pretty high and also sensation seekers is frequently decent. There was this mad irish bloke on a little more sensation who was brilliant, we then saw him later watching PJ Harvey and had a word, it was brilliant. I've very much forgotten his name though!

Edited by Memory Man

Someone posted a great story before about an old kids entertainer (who I can't remember) recently enough in the Kidz Field turning up a drunk, making references to 1950s pop culture and swearing a lot. 

Posting this in the hope that the OP sees it and digs out the post!

Edited by The Nal

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Someone posted a great story before about an old kids entertainer (who I can't remember) recently enough in the Kidz Field turning up a drunk, making references to 1950s pop culture and swearing a lot. 

Posting this in the hope that the OP sees it and digs out the post!

that's probably Bodger & Badger.

Was Kidz Field permanents, until a rant at the kids about ten years ago now. :lol:

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

that's probably Bodger & Badger.

Was Kidz Field permanents, until a rant at the kids about ten years ago now. :lol:

Everybody knows Badger loves smashed naughty shows. 

Edited by cammie81
Changed it.

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Who was the bloke that cooked stuff in Cabaret with just the contents of a hotel room...trouser press, iron etc...and the minibar a few years back?  We have friends who saw him and say it was, for them, the highlight of the whole weekend!

Found him....George Egg - Anarchist Cook.

One to not miss if he's on this year.

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Atilla, and Otway. 

But I know Otway isn't too hopeful, and Atilla isn't booked yet. :(

I'd love to see Otway back again. I was banging on about him to my camp mates before last years festival, then he didn't play! First time in forever! Well, the 8 years I've been going anyway. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My tip this year would be Seymour Mace.  After years and years of plugging away doing his own thing in an unappreciated niche he's hit a real run of form and is starting to build up a bit of a head of steam in terms of critical and public appreciation.  Definitely keen to see what he does next.

I forgot about Seymour. I've not seen him live yet but he was superb in BBC Three's weird and wonderful Ideal.

32 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Who was the bloke that cooked stuff in Cabaret with just the contents of a hotel room...trouser press, iron etc...and the minibar a few years back?  We have friends who saw him and say it was, for them, the highlight of the whole weekend!

no idea, but the best thing I've ever seen in there was a man firing a fireworks rocket from his arsehole.

Yep, really. :D

That and the famous balloon dance - tho not solo, with everyone from backstage he could collar into joining him.

The first was Chris Lynam (who I'd thought was dead, tho googling tells me different), and the second (leader of the balloon troupe) was the sadly-missed Malcolm Hardee.

51 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Found him....George Egg - Anarchist Cook.

One to not miss if he's on this year.

He's been doing that as full one hour tour show - cooks an entire three course meal over the course of the show.

Weirdly enough George was one of those acts that did the same 20 minutes of prop comedy for the best part of a decade. Then finally decided to do something new and was bloody brilliant.

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

no idea, but the best thing I've ever seen in there was a man firing a fireworks rocket from his arsehole.

Yep, really. :D

That and the famous balloon dance - tho not solo, with everyone from backstage he could collar into joining him.

The first was Chris Lynam (who I'd thought was dead, tho googling tells me different), and the second (leader of the balloon troupe) was the sadly-missed Malcolm Hardee.

Chris Lynam was the first act I ever saw at a comedy club - well, uni comedy night. He was opening for Ian Cognito. Hell of an introduction to live stand-up.

No idea if it's apocryphal or not, but heard a story about Malcolm coming on stage at Glastonbury naked then having the lights dropped down and his balls were painted with fluorescent blue glow in the dark paint. At which point people slowly notice that three girls in the front row just happen to have fluorescent blue glow in the dark lipstick on...