Legends Slot

TunaBaby

17 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It's possible they want to decommission the legend spot as such, after Dolly and Lionel it's a bit of a tough act to live up to and probably difficult to find acts every year to live up to their hype. It will still be a Legend as such but they just won't hype it separately as much. They'll just appear on the poster in that particular slot.

Aye I think it may just be a case of Barry Gibb's name alone not being quite the spectacle that Dolly, Lionel or ELO are - he's known for the Bee Gees, not his solo work. An announcement might still come, but I think it's more likely he'll just be on the poster.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Aye I think it may just be a case of Barry Gibb's name alone he's known for the Bee Gees, not his solo work. 

Prob because he doesnt really have anything much to speak of in terms of solo work and he isnt performing as a 'solo act' in any meaningful sense - his live show is pretty much a Bee Gees tribute.

Maybe there wasn't a polite way to say 'Barry Gibb, playing all of his former bands hits and hopefully none of his new solo album' in the release.

I've not been over-enthused by the idea of seeing him tbh but there's no way I'm missing out on being in that crowd belting out How Deep is Your Love and the like. He may not have it in him much anymore, but the songs are solid gold classics, and a lot of them.

48 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Interested in any arguments as to why it won't be Barry Gibb, given that we know they offered it to him last year, he says he wants to do it and Neil places him as a TBC on the Pyramid on the Sunday.

And just because they haven't announced it separately yet doesn't mean that that it still isn't forthcoming.

At this point it does look like bazza is going to be doing it. Any other suggestions would be a long shot. Hypothetically the only possible scenario I could imagine would be if Phil Collins were to do it and they are trying to come to a compromise with BST over exclusivity similar to the situation with Metallica and Sonisphere in 14. I'm sure he's been interviewed in the past saying that he wants to do the slot and he would probably draw a crowd of similar size to Dolly and Lionel.

Arguments against it happening would be that I'm sure he would demand a pretty big fee, and that it's Phil Collins. 

Realistically with what we know and the info Neil has been given I can't see it being anyone other than Bazza, but I wouldn't write off the chance completely of someone coming out of nowhere to surprise us.

2 minutes ago, TunaBaby said:

At this point it does look like bazza is going to be doing it. Any other suggestions would be a long shot. Hypothetically the only possible scenario I could imagine would be if Phil Collins were to do it and they are trying to come to a compromise with BST over exclusivity similar to the situation with Metallica and Sonisphere in 14. I'm sure he's been interviewed in the past saying that he wants to do the slot and he would probably draw a crowd of similar size to Dolly and Lionel.

Arguments against it happening would be that I'm sure he would demand a pretty big fee, and that it's Phil Collins. 

Realistically with what we know and the info Neil has been given I can't see it being anyone other than Bazza, but I wouldn't write off the chance completely of someone coming out of nowhere to surprise us.

That pretty much sums it up I think, it's either Barry Gibb = a bit underwhelming and not really deserving of a special announcement, or it's someone massive who hasn't been sorted but will get a really special announcement nearer the time.

Very much odds on it's the first one.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It's possible they want to decommission the legend spot as such, after Dolly and Lionel it's a bit of a tough act to live up to and probably difficult to find acts every year to live up to their hype. It will still be a Legend as such but they just won't hype it separately as much. They'll just appear on the poster in that particular slot.

And a good idea it is too! The success of Dolly and Lionel probably puts off as many artists as it attracts. ELO were ok last year but after the lords mayor shows of previous years it was viewed as being a disapointment by many.

22 minutes ago, TunaBaby said:

I could certainly see Chic doing it.

loads of popular well-known tracks for a Pyramid crowd (and TV crowd), upbeat fun show and a frontman who certainly fancies himself as a legend. plus we're fairly sure they're playing.

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

loads of popular well-known tracks for a Pyramid crowd (and TV crowd), upbeat fun show and a frontman who certainly fancies himself as a legend. plus we're fairly sure they're playing.

If Bazza wasn't already a TBC for the Sunday Pyramid then I'd agree, but it'd seem odd to have him there, right day, right stage, with all the tunes necessary for the slot, and then have him playing another slot.

Only thing making me think that Chic could be in with a shot is Gibb himself saying it wasn't him doing the Legend slot and dropping Diana Ross's name, which seems like he may have already been booked (but not for that slot) at the end of last year and Chic could've possibly been booked as a replacement for Ross.

Tbh I think both would nail it so either/or.

55 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

But bands don't do the legend slot, do they @stuartbert two hats? ;)

I would definitely prefer Chic on another stage and a bit later in the day once the alcohol has started to take a bit of effect , there always seems to be little space in the pyramid field to have a decent groove during the sunday legend , mind you have turned up late for the last 2  and didn't see ELO so maybe I should get there earlier !!