Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

Just now, Will-2609 said:

Am not having that they won't release the line-up until 2 weeks before the festival. Neil thinks it's this week, too.

hm, fair point. But we pretty much know T&C is coming Thursday. Would it not be weird if it didn't get space for attention the way the other stages did? Early Thursday for T&C + Friday afternoon for full lineup might be a compromise. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Must be a contractual thing. They must have some artists signing contracts that they can't be announced before June 1st. They wouldn't hold it back for the lols

Well the line-up will have been sorted ages ago so they will have been holding it back for whatever reason.

Festivals will have announcement dates set in stone and work towards that date. If it's Thursday then they'll have decided on that date a while back and worked to make sure it's ready in advance of that. If they end up being ready a week in advance of that planned date they'll still wait until that date rather than just releasing it on a whim.

2 minutes ago, rzwodezwo said:

hm, fair point. But we pretty much know T&C is coming Thursday. Would it not be weird if it didn't get space for attention the way the other stages did? Early Thursday for T&C + Friday afternoon for full lineup might be a compromise. 

Maybe they realised that literally no one in the world gives a flying fuck about T&C.

Then again they announced Unfairground separately.

7 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Well the line-up will have been sorted ages ago so they will have been holding it back for whatever reason.

Festivals will have announcement dates set in stone and work towards that date. If it's Thursday then they'll have decided on that date a while back and worked to make sure it's ready in advance of that. If they end up being ready a week in advance of that planned date they'll still wait until that date rather than just releasing it on a whim.

It's possible the events in Manchester pushed that date back though, obviously we'll probably never know but there was a noteable few days of nothing being announced.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Why is T&C considered so important it needs its own announcement day?

9 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Maybe they realised that literally no one in the world gives a flying fuck about T&C.

Then again they announced Unfairground separately.

They might be the only ones who care but the festival considers the T&C fields important. A bit like the green fields, it has its roots in the very beginning of the festival when the vast number of music stages weren't even imagined. They are part of what makes the festival unique and are at the core of Glastonbury's ethos.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It's possible the events in Manchester pushed that date back though, obviously we'll probably never know but there was a noteable few days of nothing being announced.

I doubt they changed the date of the full announcement. They'll have contracts with thousands of acts that state what date it gets announced. I reckon we should have had WH and Arcadia Tue/Fri that week and WH got pushed back to Thu because of Manchester.

2011 - 11th June

2013 - 30th May

2014 - 4th June

2015 - 2nd June

2016 - 31st May

2017 - (1/2 June - allegedly).

Defintely feels like since the Fallow year they aim to have it announced around June 1st. Must be when they book acts they sign them down for that date.

I guess it could literally come on Friday or even next week and not break any tradition.

#thereisnopattern

5 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I doubt they changed the date of the full announcement. They'll have contracts with thousands of acts that state what date it gets announced. I reckon we should have had WH and Arcadia Tue/Fri that week and WH got pushed back to Thu because of Manchester.

Yep, think this is spot on. No change for the full announcement date

13 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Yeah agreed, they must have in the contracts a non-disclosure clause that lasts until a certain date. Would explain why they still didn't hold off on releasing the original poster a couple of years ago before The Who were booked.

18 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

2011 - 11th June

2013 - 30th May

2014 - 4th June

2015 - 2nd June

2016 - 31st May

2017 - (1/2 June - allegedly).

Defintely feels like since the Fallow year they aim to have it announced around June 1st. Must be when they book acts they sign them down for that date.

I guess it could literally come on Friday or even next week and not break any tradition.

#thereisnopattern

2014 was May 22nd for the full line-up (times were June 4th).

so given that 3 times in the last 4 years all acts were announced before June 1st, it's pretty safe to say that if there is such a clause, it's not on that date anyway.

Edited by ghostdancer1

I think stuff has definitely been moved back because of what happened in Manchester. Still sticking with Cineramageddon tomorrow (new areas almost always get a special announcement), then T&C Thursday morning. I reckon one of them should've originally been last week. 

But I think artists are now primed for announcement date and are sent the "I'm Playing Glastonbury" gif. Remember Avalanches sending it a day earlier? So my theory is it will come Thursday but I'm not now convinced it will be after T&C.