2017 Get Fit Thread

Kay95

Got a new pair of boots 2 weeks ago and have been trying to walk at least 5k a day in them. Legs are feeling like they can cope with whatever Worthy View can throw at me.

Also playing cricket as much as I can. That doesn't really help as, as someone once remarked, it's the only sport you can play and put weight on.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We'll I've been FN training - 6 days out of 7 in the gym.

Lost 2lb this week, pretty happy with that. Feel fitter and thinner.

Mega-bad hayfever in Kernow today so didn't do so much, that had better get shifted by Glastonbury weekend, normally wearing off by now.

Away from home and missing three days of my normal exercise routine. Skipped a relatively short public transport trip, some walking around a conference and managed to get a Glastonbury friendly 15,500 steps in and over an hour of exercise. 

Will hopefully get similar tomorrow. 

Some simple things can make the difference. Would have been easy just to jump on a bus 

I'm new in this thread but I've luckily got a wedding coming up 4 weeks before Glasto which I'm using as a benchmark to get in shape and all that. Been slowly easing the Winter fat off, getting more vegan or fish meals in to my diet than red meat. Also, hitting the gym more as the weather gets warmer, nice to know there's plenty of people out there going through the strain too :D

Weight wise, I think I'm now about the same as I was at the last fest and with 5 weeks to go, I'm happy with that. I think I'm more focused this year so I'm hopeful of getting it down even further by the time this year comes around. I definitely feel fitter than I did last year too.

I'm just cutting done my portion sizes and doing a routine on an exercise bike each day, a variation of this: https://www.popsugar.co.uk/fitness/30-Minute-Exercise-Bike-Workout-42354714, splitting it in two and doing half in the morning and half in the evening. It helps me with the evening cravings!

Edited by Andeeroo

I've been working out to the sound of Hacienda classical today, been getting my mind and body ready for Glasto.

I don't have anything in way of gym equipment at home so have been improvising. I've got a steel bar across a hallway for pull ups and just made myself a couple of dumbbells for getting my arms and shoulders ready for the load I'll be carrying.

591b399c6c58b_Properweights.thumb.jpg.44f5e5adebc6f16a9622db7660167be8.jpg

I'm still not losing any weight, but starting (finally) to see some improvement.  Having been mainly just doing running I have now also started the 30 day fitness challenge app - I am 10 days in and its going pretty well.

Completely messed up and put 10 lbs on over the last few months nudging my BMI back over 25. 

Hopefully get half a stone off before the festival. Back on slimming world and trying to keep my alcohol intake to spirit and diet mixer. Half a stone is a sizable amount of extra cider I can carry from the coach. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Doing this a couple of times a week

class-grit.jpg

Doesn't get any easier, but I can recover in about 15 minutes now rather than it taking the best part of a day, so that's got to count for something.

Which one are you?

Seriously though, what is it? That picture gives nothing away, other than a pretty strict dress-code.

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This:

https://www.lesmills.com/uk/workouts/high-intensity-interval-training/les-mills-grit-plyo/

It's a world of pain, and half an hour of it feels like a lifetime.  But anything that hurts that much has to be good for you.

Looks like bloody hard work, but a few weeks of that and you'll be invincible!

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This:

https://www.lesmills.com/uk/workouts/high-intensity-interval-training/les-mills-grit-plyo/

It's a world of pain, and half an hour of it feels like a lifetime.  But anything that hurts that much has to be good for you.

I have issues with Les Mills stuff.  My main grumble is the speed they have the movements at; it becomes impossible to get (a) good form and (b) a decent range of movement to get full effects. Trying to do pressups, squats and lunges to that kind of bpm might get the heart rate up but in terms of actually working the muscles it's not that effective.

*wander off into the distance muttering to myself*

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe with Bodypump or what have you, but Grit isn't done in time with the music and the instructors are very clear about form being more important than the number of iterations of a particular move.  If anything I've seen them ordering people to slow down and do it right.

Ah fair enough.  I've tried Combat and Attack,and tbh find both as dull as dishwater.  Mrs Q loves Combat but she's said a similar thing about Pump.  Grit I've not tried, so if they're actually focusing on form for once then that's a good thing.

Trying to do jump split lunges in time with the bpm equivalent of happy hardcore is not my idea of fun :lol:

After swearing it off for the year I've decided to introduce some cardio in to my routine the past week in preparation for Glastonbury* so fingers crossed that helps out a little. My legs and feet give me grief enough as it is so always get beaten to a pulp come festival time.

*actually just so I can eat more calories whilst on this shitty diet.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Did a 6 mile run last night for the first time in a couple of months (injured my achilles running a half marathon in March and had to rest up). 53 minutes and it hurt to buggery.

How's the achilles this morning?