• Emeli Sande
    • Catfish And The Bottlemen
    • Other

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

If Flaming Lips play before Radiohead and I end up ticketless I may as well just bury myself alive or something!

I'm going to see them at Brixton in January but that would be an almost dream sub/headliner combination for me.

they weren't really big enough for it in 2003 so ain't gonna happen next year - if they play then i can only see them as John Peel headliners or at a similar level

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

they weren't really big enough for it in 2003 so ain't gonna happen next year - if they play then i can only see them as John Peel headliners or at a similar level

I agree with you really, they're more suited to something a bit smaller. Last time they played it was Other headliner, I'd expect the same again

10 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I agree with you really, they're more suited to something a bit smaller. Last time they played it was Other headliner, I'd expect the same again

I don't think they're big enough for Other headliner these days.

Edit: but they have such a sense of occasion, it would be a shame for them to do anything but headline the stage they're on.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Just now, Cornelius_Fudge said:

As a general rule though, what's more likely?

A band like the XX subbing - similar kind of sound, or a guy like Kendrick, performing a type of music totally different?

I can't remember the previous sub/headliner combos to remember

there isn't really a rule. i'd say The xx are more likely just due to the fact they'll definitely be active next year and will've released a new album, but if Kendrick was in a similar position nothing would stop him from subbing either (although i think they'd probably stick him below the more 'pop' headliner rather than Radiohead)

From an ability

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

there isn't really a rule. i'd say The xx are more likely just due to the fact they'll definitely be active next year and will've released a new album, but if Kendrick was in a similar position nothing would stop him from subbing either (although i think they'd probably stick him below the more 'pop' headliner rather than Radiohead)

Yeah I see your point on that. From an ability stance, I can see both of them being "big" enough to sub, but I mean more from a music-flowing-into-each-other way, like, if it was the XX you'd be basically having the same crowd for both there all evening from 8ish till 12.

Just wondered if it made a difference to have similar bands follow each other or to mix it up a bit.

For some reason I would absolutely love someone a bit lighter/different genre before Radiohead, someone like Jamiroquai or Groove Armada. Not that I have any idea if they'd do it or not etc

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Gross no thank you, he needs an appreciative crowd. He's probably never even once been played on Capital FM, putting him on before the Sheeranator would be worse than Beck-gate

I'd accept him opening for a pop act if said pop act was Beyonce and therefore it meant he came out for Freedom, mind.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Since it seems the other 2 headline bookings are gonna be some irredeemable w*nk, the Radiohead sub is now the most important slot on the line up. I could definitely see Bon Iver doing it which would be bloody splendid, seeing them at the Roundhouse in Feb but a sub slot would be different enough to make a second time round exciting. The National would likewise be most welcome, as would Kendrick though I could see him subbing a different night, and The Flaming Lips need to play but I'm seeing them as a JP headliner currently.

I'd also like to chuck out there that Vampire Weekend would be great for it if they are touring by then. Would love that to happen.

3 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Since it seems the other 2 headline bookings are gonna be some irredeemable w*nk, the Radiohead sub is now the most important slot on the line up. I could definitely see Bon Iver doing it which would be bloody splendid, seeing them at the Roundhouse in Feb but a sub slot would be different enough to make a second time round exciting. The National would likewise be most welcome, as would Kendrick though I could see him subbing a different night, and The Flaming Lips need to play but I'm seeing them as a JP headliner currently.

I'd also like to chuck out there that Vampire Weekend would be great for it if they are touring by then. Would love that to happen.

i don't think Vampire Weekend will be up and running by then , but aye i'd love that to happen too. debatable whether their popularity has gone up enough to warrant going up a place on the lineup though, but they'd be a perfect Radiohead sub. in fact, the list of acts possibly playing/active next year who'd be great Radiohead subs is pretty damn big. they better not fuck it up!

Nick Cave's Bad Seeds with this blinder of a set...

1.       Jesus Alone

2.       Jubilee Street

3.       Jack the Ripper

4.       Magneto

5.       I Need You

6.       Red Right Hand

7.       Deanna

8.       Into My Arms

9.       The Mercy Seat

10.   Stagger Lee

11.   There She Goes, My Beautiful World

12.   The Ship Song