The British and Irish Lions

Franky

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Franky said:

Quark mate, don't bite lol every 4 years this happens. I ask if its going to be shown, the interested parties discuss it on here and it ends up yes or no, I still have a great time regardless. However you get the odd few that have no intention of watching it and their festival will not be affected by it but for some reason still find it necessary to object to it as though we were going to burn small children on the Pyramid stage during the headliner :)  

Nah, not a bite chap :) . I forget we're on t'internet and feel the need to explain my point of view in a reasonable manner.  Better to type stuff in capital letters and blame Corbyn :lol:

Neil should be along any time now...

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The issue is that - if it is that early - then the festival will have to deploy staff to man the AV and security to supervise whatever crowd it is that gathers.  It won't be as simple as just turning on the TV at home -  it'll mean arranging shift rotas specifically to accommodate it and finding the money to pay for it.

Hadn't even thunk of it from that angle Calgon

They have done it before so cant see a real reason why they couldn't do it again unless has previously stated they want horrendous money to show it, in which case I would fully understand why they wouldn't show it. If its not shown i will just watch it on my phone but its always nice to see a special event like this with a crowd of like minded people on a decent sized screen :)

To add to the pile of party poop, as per CGs post, having a large crowd gathering from 6am to 8.30am will cause chaos with the clean up, emptying of the long drops, restocking stalls and so on. 

And it'll obviously be a lot more difficult in the mud. 

So in short, its not happening. 

I'd watch if it was on. I'm usually awake early anyway (maybe not 6.30!) but if it was 8. 

I really enjoy the rugby union and I'm female, northern and far from posh. Dad played at school, he always said Union was the amateurs game and those that turned pro moved to league in those days. Grew up watching with him. 

Now I have close friends that are Irish, French and Italian and make the 6 nations an all day event. Other than the festival i'ts pretty much a highlight of my social life for the year. 

36 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Great idea! Let's divert money away from the charities to appease a handful of vomit-drinking, soggy biscuit-eating titheads from the home counties.

How's the resolution of being less of an arse working out for you Russy?

5 hours ago, Franky said:

However you get the odd few that have no intention of watching it and their festival will not be affected by it but for some reason still find it necessary to object to it as though we were going to burn small children on the Pyramid stage during the headliner :)  

If I may plagiarise, sport at Glastonbury is like seeing a monstrous carbuncle on the face of an old friend. You are right though in that I can't really explain why I think that (other than that I find all sport tedious) and know that it wouldn't directly affect me because I wouldn't be watching it. It's possibly that you can view oceans of sport any minute of the day 365 days of the year, whereas you'll not see the sights and sounds that you'll see at Glastonbury every day of the year. It's a bit like getting dog shit on your shoe - it's not the end of the world but it still aint pleasant.

Meh, yeah you can watch sport 365 but not always the one you really want. For me as a player and a coach it's the pinnicle of a sport I love, more so than the World Cup. Therefor I would dearly love to watch it live with a group of like minded people. That said if I am forced to watch it on my phone so be it. You won't see me crying over it :) 

I am pretty sure that when it was shown back in 2005 it was the first time and I was pretty involved with making that happen so excuse me if I give it another shot :) 

Ahhhhhhh Russy, it begins again. I look forward to months of heated debate over nothing impaticular and that the outcome of which would not effect either of us anyway ! Let the games begin ! 

2 hours ago, Franky said:

For me as a player and a coach it's the pinnicle of a sport I love.

I hadn't really thought about it from this angle. I wouldn't pay any attention to me to be honest (on any subject) as I just don't get sport at all. I can't think of a single sport that I like and would devote my precious and limited time on this planet to. However, I do understand that many wouldn't exactly choose to pass their time doing what I do by way of entertainment. :)

• 2 months later...
On 05/01/2017 at 0:24 PM, Quark said:

Quiet you ;)

Fair do's @Franky, quite happy with that!  Haven't even got round to checking the kick off times yet!  Watching the game in 2009 was a good craic at Williams Green.

My experience of sport at Glastonbury was soured when I got dragged along in 2010 to watch England in the football (I know, different sport and all that). My reason for not wanting to watch, and my concern in general, is that something as emotive as a big sporting event like that can have a real shitty effect on people's moods depending on whether you win or lose.  The England match was a case in point; I never want to be around a crowd of people that angry and/or despondent at Glastonbury again.

Rugby does tend to be different I know, but even in '09 I remember the general mood when O'Gara had a bit of a howler at the end, and it diod sour the mood a smidge.

But, that's my call not yours or the organisers :)  And yes, I'll probably still be in bed or just having "breakfast" at that time! :smoke:

Yea, agree with this. Was there in 2010 for the Eng game and was one of the despondent ones - which is exactly how you don't want to feel at a music festival. It took a couple of a hours (and some good cider) to pick my spirits up and get me over it, but by that time I'd wasted a good 5/6 hours of my time. Unless it was the WC Final, I wouldn't watch an England game again at a music festival in such big numbers. It def had an affect on the whole of the festival in general too. Really don't think sports and music crowds mix well either

That is your opinion which is all good and fine :) but I am sure we have done that debate to death ! Never gonna get 250,000 people to agree, I just wondered if anyone had heard anything about them showing it anywhere ? Neil ????? Some help please :)

All kick offs are 8.30am for this tour.... I doubt very much they would open an area such as Williams Green like 2009 to put on the rugby. 1, It would disrupt the morning clear up. 2, Increased the amount of stewards needed in that area at  that particular time of day. 3, Change of licensing agreements if wanted to sell alcohol at that time. 4, As mentioned before Sky would demand to much money to show it.

Just a few reasons why I don't think it will be viable for Glastonbury to show it. As I'll be in a camper van I'll do what I have done in previous years and watch on Sky Go on tablet, that is if Friday was not a particularly heavy one

On 10/15/2016 at 9:14 PM, Franky said:

Yep I watched it on my phone in 2013 but in 2005 they showed it on the pyramid stage. 

i seem to remember a bunch of Kiwi's huddled together early in the morning watching it at the pyramid in 05

(this could be made up in my head or real there are a lot of things I think I saw