NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

7 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

Turned out nice this afternoon, I just caught the last of the sun through the trees

received_10154934039846532.jpeg

Nice pic. Hopefully we'll get out for a walk beyond the city this weekend.

Have a good weekend everyone, that it's so great, you need to get back to work for the rest.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Quark said:

Good news on the youngest Dizzy, sounds like he's going great guns :)

Cycled in to work this morning.  Not saying it was cold, but by the time I got here there was ice in my water bottle! Trying to hit it once a week, 20 miles each way so not a bad workout!  Combined with the gym, walking and the rugby this should get my fitness back up.  

Realised in the lead up to Christmas that I've slacked off massively over the past couple of  years since I semi-retired from playing, so given myself a bit of a kick up the backside!

As far as the diet goes I'm generally wary of anything that isn't sustainable, just because I've seen so many people stack weight back on as soon as they go back to normal. Mrs Q has to avoid certain things due to IBS, as a lot of things contain certain natural sugars that cause some real digestive problems, so know the joys of cutting food out! But by and large I'm with HMV; stick to whole foods, avoid too much processed stuff, and control portion sizes!

Anyway, sun is shining.  Happy feckin' Friday everyone!

Thanks Q, I'm trying not to get too hopeful after horrible setbacks at the end of last year,  but there's little point in being pessimistic. 

I'm impressed at your 20 mile cycling commute, especially in this perishing weather.  I'm afraid this is the time of year when I put weight on as I want to hibernate and have loads of Christmas food that was bought at reduced price,  and is now calling to me from the cupboard.  Although it's a well-known fact that cake and chocolate which is half price or less contains no calories.  Also like the idea of the drink more don't care diet @Brunette! Hope your mini egg facilitated recovery is speedy @lucyginger.

I will be haggis-dodging tomorrow at the Burns Night supper, as well as falling over, the result of excessive scotch consumption and entirely inept Scottish 'dancing'.  Have a lovely weekend everyone.

I'm half cut and full of food from a sw*nky Szechuan restaurant in that there London Chinatown. Day spent catching up with group of friends from school. And now to bed, probably with heartburn from the massive quantities of chilli they used. Night all!

Hi peeps. Finally caught up in all events. @Yoghurt on a Stick, did you ever manage to sort the wardrobes? And ford transit related stuff? You had a bit of a bummer of a few days there mind... hope it's all coming together! 

@lucyginger great news you're getting better matey! 

@dizzymoo fab result for your youngest! I'm sure you're very proud. And congratulations on managing to drink so much scotch and port haha. Hope the hangover isn't too bad. 

Good luck with Gumby Jrs bed @mr gumby! I think I would've just bought a cabin bed, easier all round! 

I have nothing to report  it's that time of year that I work non stop to get time off for June! Bye lovelies

10 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

Good luck with Gumby Jrs bed @mr gumby! I think I would've just bought a cabin bed, easier all round! 

Thanks CG. We didlook at cabin beds, but we've got a folding mattress from a futon, which we thought would make a good sofa on the bottom bunk for now, and we can adapt it as and when needed. Also, the bunk beds were only 40 quid through a Facebook selling page, so it was a no-brainer! 

13 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

Hi peeps. Finally caught up in all events. @Yoghurt on a Stick, did you ever manage to sort the wardrobes? And ford transit related stuff? You had a bit of a bummer of a few days there mind... hope it's all coming together! 

@lucyginger great news you're getting better matey! 

@dizzymoo fab result for your youngest! I'm sure you're very proud. And congratulations on managing to drink so much scotch and port haha. Hope the hangover isn't too bad. 

I have nothing to report  it's that time of year that I work non stop to get time off for June! Bye lovelies

Hello CG

The mechanic said that he'll come and take my campervan away and sort the problem for £335 cash. This means that the money I have already spent on parts has gone down the pan. I am also a little wary because this is a mobile mechanic ie I don't know where he lives / works etc. So, theoretically he could just take my campervan tomorrow and bugger off with it. It doesn't help that he and his mate look like two of the roughest looking geezers that I've ever seen. Still, at some point you've got to place your trust somewhere.

Sorry to hear that you are working all the hours that god sends. Hope you are happy working them knowing that Good Time City is around the corner. :)

32 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick II said:

I am also a little wary because this is a mobile mechanic ie I don't know where he lives / works etc. So, theoretically he could just take my campervan tomorrow and bugger off with it. It doesn't help that he and his mate look like two of the roughest looking geezers that I've ever seen. Still, at some point you've got to place your trust somewhere.

I think you've answered your own question Yog.  Place your trust somewhere else.

I know what you are saying grumpy and dizzymoo. It seems a mad action to take, but I truly believe they are genuine, despite not knowing their provenance. Not only that but there are external pressurising factors which are forcing me to get the campervan fixed sooner rather than later. We are going to sell our beloved campervan - it's a case of needs must. That said, when our house sells we'll be in a position to buy another. Although we have only had fantastic times in our campervan, I've never really got on with it's design. It has a fixed double bed (more comfy than any bed either of us have ever known) and a kitchen area - but no lounge type area. I think I'd like a fixed double bed over the front cabin type arrangement which allows a fixed lounge area. However, her indoors hasn't expresssed knowledge in this area and might, up on realisation, find it a bit too clausterophobic (not sure on that spelling, but am too tired to check). What I really want is a converted small bus. I suspect that my wife would like that too - having space to move around is all important. Anyway, it'll be all academic if these two 'geezers' half inch it!

No mice in there loft for nearly a week now.  Am very pleased :)

Not much planned for the week.  I don't think we'll be having haggis on Wednesday as the nearest shop that would sell that is 12 miles away and I have no reason to go there, apart from to buy a haggis ...  We have *plenty* of whisky so shall toast Robbie Burns with that !

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:57 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick II said:

I know what you are saying grumpy and dizzymoo. It seems a mad action to take, but I truly believe they are genuine, despite not knowing their provenance. Not only that but there are external pressurising factors which are forcing me to get the campervan fixed sooner rather than later. We are going to sell our beloved campervan - it's a case of needs must. That said, when our house sells we'll be in a position to buy another. Although we have only had fantastic times in our campervan, I've never really got on with it's design. It has a fixed double bed (more comfy than any bed either of us have ever known) and a kitchen area - but no lounge type area. I think I'd like a fixed double bed over the front cabin type arrangement which allows a fixed lounge area. However, her indoors hasn't expresssed knowledge in this area and might, up on realisation, find it a bit too clausterophobic (not sure on that spelling, but am too tired to check). What I really want is a converted small bus. I suspect that my wife would like that too - having space to move around is all important. Anyway, it'll be all academic if these two 'geezers' half inch it!

I spend some time drooling over the vans I see in some Facebook groups, and the for sale signs posted.  And we've already got one. Anyway, if you do want some more info on the van/motorhome groups, including build your own (from your bus?), let me know and I'll PM some details over.  There are quite a few older Hymers (think Scooby Do's Mystery Wagon style) for sale with the layout you're wanting.

In other news

They've bottled the sun, we can get it in the corner shop now, get the 2 litre size for June.

the sun in a bottle

13 hours ago, carlosj said:

I spend some time drooling over the vans I see in some Facebook groups, and the for sale signs posted.  And we've already got one. Anyway, if you do want some more info on the van/motorhome groups, including build your own (from your bus?), let me know and I'll PM some details over.  There are quite a few older Hymers (think Scooby Do's Mystery Wagon style) for sale with the layout you're wanting.

In other news

They've bottled the sun, we can get it in the corner shop now, get the 2 litre size for June.

the sun in a bottle

Hello carlosj,

Yeah, I've seen some of the old Hymers and do like them a lot. Thanks for the offer, but no need to send more info on campervans over as I already spend too much time drooling over them. :)

11 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick II said:

Hello carlosj,

Yeah, I've seen some of the old Hymers and do like them a lot. Thanks for the offer, but no need to send more info on campervans over as I already spend too much time drooling over them. :)

For some reason, MrsCJ doesn't fancy wildcamping in Scarborough this weekend and wandering around real ale pubs at night then eating fish and chips, wondering if the van heating will work enough to counter the wild coastal temperatures, but would rather I take her to the spa baths in Harrogate to blast away the cold.  I think she's put off by the idea that she'll be watching me drink lots of beer while she's on coke (the liquid fizzy type). I'll just have to drink in Harrogate instead.

Is anyone having non-Glastonbury dreams?  MrsCJ is having full on conversations in hers, no idea who with, but she gets all sorts of things sorted out for them.

Coming back to Glastonbury, I'm making R and SR posts in my head for various singers and bands now, from recent gigs and hearing on the radio, and hoping it works out in Somerset.

Afternoon all

Lovely surpise today - got bought surprise tickets to see Killers, Elbow and Tears for Fears in Hyde Park

The first album I bought was TFF, I was desperate to see them when they played Southend on Sea when I was 13, and my parents deemed to too young to go to a gig, I remember having a huge disagreement with them and their reasons (I lost the argument), and despite the numbers of festivals and gigs I've been to over the next 30 years I have never seen them - so very exciting for me :-)

I now have 4 music weekends in a row in June/July (and 3 trips back to the UK) - Glastonbury, taking Mum to see Adele, BST in Hyde Park and an 80's music weekend in Jersey (Holly Johnson and others I cannot remember)

Time to start saving pennies to fund that lot

FFx

Hi everyone, apologies to you all for the long absence, I haven't been too well but on the road to recovery now thankfully. I've been catching up with all your news and there's so much of it, a million things have happened :)  much congratulations to HMV and @fatyeti24, @sheffieldlady And @djdavejohnson    on getting engaged, that's the loveliest of news xx HMV and @fatyeti24  your house looks amazing, I'm not too bad with a sewing machine, paint brush and gardening if you need a hand just ask. I wish you both many happy happy days there xx  @Yoghurt on a Stickthings have been really up and down for you, I hope you get the van and house sold easily and you decide to go to Glastonbury this year.  @lucyginger I'm glad to hear your recovering from your op. @dizzymoo things are looking much better for your youngest, great to read the progress there  @Quark A mention of blazing saddles always brings a smile  @Yoghurt on a Stick Your invisible man advert made me chuckle too :)  Too many great holidays to mention, and some great tracks to listen to, it's good to see bears den getting a mention. @Ommadawn I might be looking for some tips, a friends just given us a wee plot to grow veggies on. It feels good to catch up with you all and see this thread still going strong, lots of sunshine here today, hugs to all xx

Welcome back Babylon! 

Listening to my Glastonbury playlist while prepping dinner. After dancing round the kitchen like a loon I can unashamedly say that I would happily spend an hour getting my groove on to Lady GaGa. There, I said it!

On a more sensible note, off to see Declan McKenna in Brighton next week :yahoo:

10 hours ago, lucyginger said:

Yog I have just noticed you have a new profile! This surgery business has made my brain all squiffy! 

Hello lucy,

Yes I have. Hopefully it's only temporary until I get a new lead for my own computer. My existing lead became frayed at the end and then started throwing out sparks and then gave up working altogether. I am now using a spare computer but can't access my old profile because I no longer have the email address that I first registered with and don't know my password. I'll talk to Neil about sorting it out as soon as I get my hands on a new lead.