NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

13 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

As predicted wedding dress shopping went swimmingly. Tried on 3 more to keep assistant and bestie happy. Bought the one i went to tey on. 40 mins max to trying on and leaving with a heavy bag. On the prosecco now. :)

I've now got the image of you wandering round bars in your dress testing out how effectively you can sup Prosecco in it.  Don't have too much or else you'll need the 'comfort fit' dress section... ;-)

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, carlosj said:

I've now got the image of you wandering round bars in your dress testing out how effectively you can sup Prosecco in it.  Don't have too much or else you'll need the 'comfort fit' dress section... ;-)

To be fair Carlos that's not the most unrealistic of mental images!

I had a man come round to service my boiler today.  Make of that what you will :)

25 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

As predicted wedding dress shopping went swimmingly. Tried on 3 more to keep assistant and bestie happy. Bought the one i went to tey on. 40 mins max to trying on and leaving with a heavy bag. On the prosecco now. :)

Best way to do it, only you know what you want, and what you feel comfortable in.  Awesome work @H.M.V

46 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Top shopping. Surely 40 mins max has got to be some sort of a record for a wedding dress purchase?

1 hour ago, carlosj said:

Are you on Facebook?  There are loads of groups for motorhomes and I bet some will have encyclopaedic knowledge of Transit parts.  They are very helpful on the stuff I've been asking, but that's not Transit related.

Re festival costs, I wonder if people use kickstarter for funding Festival drugs....?

I have an account on Facebook, but really don't now how to use the site (I very rarely access the site). No matter, I have set up an account with the Ford Transit Forum and have asked the question there. These guys and gals are as mad about transits as people on here are with Glastonbury. If they can't help me out then I can't be helped out.

Hope the windscreen gets fixed @Yoghurt on a Stick and I do hope you manage to talk Mrs Yog around, I know the expense is a lot, heck, we briefly debated giving our tickets up so we can save for a wedding but, we figured that we still see at as good value and Radiohead are my favorite band. Fingers crossed.

@H.M.V glad the wedding dress shop went well :)

I told family and friends that any wedding would be out of the country, and that they simply aren't invited. I figured if we give people the two years notice, they will come around to the idea. Close friends are upset, but I'm sure they will come around!

1 minute ago, sheffieldlady said:

Hope the windscreen gets fixed @Yoghurt on a Stick and I do hope you manage to talk Mrs Yog around, I know the expense is a lot, heck, we briefly debated giving our tickets up so we can save for a wedding but, we figured that we still see at as good value and Radiohead are my favorite band. Fingers crossed.

@H.M.V glad the wedding dress shop went well :)

I told family and friends that any wedding would be out of the country, and that they simply aren't invited. I figured if we give people the two years notice, they will come around to the idea. Close friends are upset, but I'm sure they will come around!

Hello sheffieldlady,

Radiohead are my wife's favourite band too. She has seen them in Manchester before, although her attendance there was unexpectedly cut short when her back gave in. Apparently (it was before we were together) she had started to fall backwards (think drink and drugs), managed to save herself from falling but was stuck in the position as seen in the photo below;

Image result for leaning backwardsImage result for leaning backwards

She simply couldn't straighten up and had to be led through the crowd like this to a medical facility. This meant that she missed a lot of Radiohead's performance. So, you'd think she would be as keen as mustard to see them again live at Glastonbury (especially so also because of the black hole that the band got her out of when she'd been sectioned).

I don't blame you for wanting to have your wedding abroad and on your own. It saves the hassle of who to invite to the main event, who to only invite to the evening event, as well as the, often, phenominal cost of hiring a wedding venue, feeding people etc. When we had our wedding my wife insisted that she would only marry me on the condition that we had a free bar. Fortunately she had picked a venue (which is adjacent to the Glastonbury festival site) that was only licenced (in terms of the marriage licence) to have 80 guests. Still, it was tough making decisions on who could come and who couldn't. I think I put a lot of relatives noses out of joint because I was the first person within the family not to invite all the relatives to a wedding.

Have you any ideas where you would go for your wedding?

Oh dear - hopefully Mrs Yog got her back sorted and it hasn't left her with more permanent damage. 

I remember you saying the hole Radiohead helped your wife out of, I do hope she comes around. I'm sure she will have a wonderful / emotional experience. I hope she changes her mind!

We are thinking of going to the USA for the ceremony and tying it in with another USA road trip. Being able to get married outdoors is a big draw and the states has some amazing scenery! 

33 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

Oh dear - hopefully Mrs Yog got her back sorted and it hasn't left her with more permanent damage. 

I remember you saying the hole Radiohead helped your wife out of, I do hope she comes around. I'm sure she will have a wonderful / emotional experience. I hope she changes her mind!

We are thinking of going to the USA for the ceremony and tying it in with another USA road trip. Being able to get married outdoors is a big draw and the states has some amazing scenery! 

I've never been to the USA and have never harboured a desire to go there. That said, if I were able to go then I'd also want to go on a road trip and get off the beaten track a little. I've read Bill Brysons books The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America and A Walk in the Woods, and that did raise an interest in the place.

It is somewhere that I have got more and more curious about. I'm looking at a lot of tribal ground / desert type places at the moment. Future Mr SL is on board! It's just something that's a little different and would suit us better, we could just get married in a location that looks amazing, through natural beauty. 

Was also consindering Sri Lanka!

Does anybody here kow what a 'bobtail nag' is? I have just recalled that it's the words of a song, but I realise that I don't know what it means. I've had a cursory Google look, but my faculties aren't up to continuing along that line, so I thought it OK to ask on here before I forget what it is that I just asked about. Which will happen very shortly I'd say.

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Does anybody here kow what a 'bobtail nag' is? I have just recalled that it's the words of a song, but I realise that I don't know what it means. I've had a cursory Google look, but my faculties aren't up to continuing along that line, so I thought it OK to ask on here before I forget what it is that I just asked about. Which will happen very shortly I'd say.

Camptown Races? A bobtail nag is a horse that's had its tail cut short, is all.

3 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It is inded the Camptown Races. Thanks for the explantion mr gumby. I've been wondering what it meant on and off for years now, so it's nice to know what it finally means.

Can't hear anything from that song without going straight to Blazing Saddles.

11 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Time to dream and plan holidays. 

This is the majority of my daily time from clocking in to going home.  Other people may have inspirational pictures of fit people on their fridge this time of year.  I've got beaches on mine.

I hope today is good for people, lurkers and posters, ain't no blue skies in Leeds today.

20 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Lovely :wub:

Nothing interesting has been happening here really.  Although it is things-in-the-loft time of the year again.  Last year we caught 2 field mice up there, but only after they had eaten through the zips in our suitcases ... 

So far this year we have caught 2 house mice - which are not nearly as pretty.  We're not good at killing things so use a humane trap with a piece of milk chocolate in it and then we let them go in a field.  I wish them no ill.  I just don't want them in our loft !

We've had an invasion of mice over the roof too - or at least through the attic. I'm reasonably convinced I heard them arrive and run from one end of the flat to the other.

After seeing how the cat was with them mousetraps seemed like a blessing. Down to zero mice again now....