Bon Iver 2017

Amy Lawn

15 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Saw him tonight, overall I enjoyed it but I came away 100% in the 'Other Headliner' rather than 'Pyramid Sub' camp. The show was split in two with a 20 minute break in the middle. First half was OK but as someone who didn't *love* the last album it dragged on a bit (being particularly new album heavy). Ended on a high with Skinny Love

2nd half won me over immediately. Perth > Minnesota > Holocene was a helluva way to kick off. A terrific version of 8 (circle) followed and he dropped Creature Fear before the end too. 

For what he tries to do with his show I don't think it would work at Pyramid Sub, would be ideal for the Other headliner and the bit more time he'd have as a result. 

Out of curiousity, how long did he play for minus that 20 minute break?

I'm in Paris just now and seeing him at Pitchfork Festival on Saturday night. Seen some setlists, and wondering if we will get the same show in the 1hr 35min slot he has here.

21 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Objectively, the moment that Kanye's set lost a lot of the crowd was when the Justmeister was brought out as a special guest and started wailing at everyone.

I mean, 90% of the crowd thought MBDTF and Yeezus are kanyes worst albums. so probably wouldnt read too much into that :P

Would be delighted if he was other headliner, would be all over that. 

On 8/31/2018 at 11:37 AM, FloorFiller said:

Mentioned this in the new music thread but thought it might go a bit more noticed here - Justin Vernon and Aaron Dessner's new album as Big Red Machine is out today and everybody should give it a listen. Probably could've just been released as the next Bon Iver album really, and I mean that in the best possible way. Think it's fantastic. 

How have I only just seen this? First I've heard of it! Thanks for the recommendation, the BRM album is fantastic!

25 minutes ago, Calvin Klein said:

Don't make the same mistake as last year with The National. They need to headline a stage. Pyramid sub is death for these kind of bands.

Guess it depends who they’re on before. If The National had taken the pre-Radiohead sub slot I’m sure they would’ve faired a lot better. Likewise with Bon Iver, stick them on before The Cure and you’ll have a small but no doubt interested Pyramid field. Stick him on before almost any other of the possible headliners being mentioned and yeah... maybe not so much. 

I think they’d work a lot better as a Other headliner than some others here see to think, but just to avoid a headliner clash I’d prefer the Pyramid sub slot, even if I am in a rather bemused crowd 80% of which are waiting for his cover of Birdy’s Skinny Love.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If The National played their mostly new material in a headline slot it would have been even more disappointing.

4 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Yeah, the problem with The National was the setlist, not the stage/placing 

While I do mostly agree, a headline slot would have at least forced them to play more old stuff, just to fill the time.

16 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

While I do mostly agree, a headline slot would have at least forced them to play more old stuff, just to fill the time.

Maybe, but I still have the feeling even a headline set would have been front loaded with SWB tracks and the older stuff coming later in the set. That seemed to be their MO around that time at their own gigs anyway. Either way, we'll never know :(

34 minutes ago, Calvin Klein said:

Setlist was an issue, yes, but I don't think most of the crowd could even tell what was new or old.

Aye that crowd wasn't there for The National full stop, and they don't exactly have many/any songs or singles that would have casuals going 'oh I know this one'. The setlist was a shiter for those of us there to see them, but we were few and far between and it was mostly just people camping up for Foos.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Aye that crowd wasn't there for The National full stop, and they don't exactly have many/any songs or singles that would have casuals going 'oh I know this one'. The setlist was a shiter for those of us there to see them, but we were few and far between and it was mostly just people camping up for Foos.

Reports here suggest that a lot of (previously) non-fans came away having enjoyed the set. My experience of it was far enough forward, it was mostly fans and it wasn’t exactly popping off until something we knew came on. Didn’t really get the sense loads of Foo Fighters fans were confused that a rock band was on in front of them.

Bon Iver have played enough headline gigs. If they still aren’t known enough to the masses then maybe they could do with a major sub slot.

9 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I get the feeling Bon Iver is/are the act that would headline Other but wouldn't accept it due to slots of headline at nearly everywhere else?

Yeah I think they'd be a pretty suitable Other headliner in almost every aspect but Justin will probably be gunning for those main stage slots these days.