Bon Iver 2017

Amy Lawn

Saw him at Primavera the other year and Hammersmith. Would happily see him again. Needs a properly decent sound set up, with that ridiculous bass sound that makes you feel like you’ve shit yourself. I was really skeptical of his ability to perform the latest album at a outdoor festival, it’s so intense and personal but he absolutely fucking nailed it at Primevara.

Basically, no chance of him doing anything other than Pyramid sub or Other headliner. Pyramid would be ace but his music is pretty out there for a sub slot, i reckon. Dunno though, maybe he’s more mainstream than i give him credit for.

3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Basically, no chance of him doing anything other than Pyramid sub or Other headliner. Pyramid would be ace but his music is pretty out there for a sub slot, i reckon. Dunno though, maybe he’s more mainstream than i give him credit for.

Got to be a full 20 songs in the dark, Pyramid sub would be a waste. 

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Other stage headliner would be perfect! Their Hammersmith set was phenomenal. They've been due a big  slot at G for the past few years and it could be really special set.

Echo all of this. That gig was so great and it'd be awesome to have them at the farm. Campaign starts in earnest here. They'd probably tempt me from all th headliners mooted so far tbh.

• Like 1

I think Bon Iver around the self titled record would have gone for subbing the Pyramid, but the shows on the recent tours really need darkness for the full effect, and a good 90 minutes as well. Of course we all thought the National would headline the Other, so who knows. 

Looking at the dates I think this really is a goer. It's been on the cards for a while and this could be our National moment from 2017 - let's just hope they get a more appropriate slot.

29 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Word is he's playing one of the APE dates - though obviously it's yet to be seen how those will interact with Glastonbury in terms of exclusivity. Could see Goldenvoice being pushier about it.

Yeah I guess they are pretty stern when it comes to BST.

Think Bon Iver would be set for a Pyramid sub slot. Just can’t see an Other headline slot happening. Too sad. ☹️☹️☹️

Saw him tonight, overall I enjoyed it but I came away 100% in the 'Other Headliner' rather than 'Pyramid Sub' camp. The show was split in two with a 20 minute break in the middle. First half was OK but as someone who didn't *love* the last album it dragged on a bit (being particularly new album heavy). Ended on a high with Skinny Love

2nd half won me over immediately. Perth > Minnesota > Holocene was a helluva way to kick off. A terrific version of 8 (circle) followed and he dropped Creature Fear before the end too. 

For what he tries to do with his show I don't think it would work at Pyramid Sub, would be ideal for the Other headliner and the bit more time he'd have as a result. 

He's doing a festival tour though; he's gonna have to adapt his set for festival main stages. Can't see many fests being happy if he disappears for 22 minutes in the middle.

Had no problem subbing Lady Gaga at Coachella last year and it actually got good reviews. In an ideal world all our faves would get extended headline slots on smaller stages but it'd be quite unlike a typical Other Stage headliner as far as the fest is concerned and Big Justin wants to be on those big stages.

I don't mean the break itself, more than he's effectively doing his show in two acts. Squashing that down into the 12 or so songs he'd get subbing is what I think would have a negative impact. A normal length headline slot on the Other seems to suit better. 

On one hand it would make clashes a little easier if he was Pyramid sub I guess, but I do fear it will be like The National 2017 all over again. Who would you put him above? The Cure maybe? 

I agree that it doesn't feel quite right for Other headliner either though, looking at the choices there these days.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

38 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

The thought of Bon Iver absolutely dying in a daylight slot on the Pyramid is making me feel a lot better about being ticketless cos I'd definitely watch it and it'd definitely be shit. APE is the one lads. 

Wonder what sort of undercard we'd see if they did APE because that festival absolutely nailed it with the line ups last year.