The state of the ground

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the site lots of puddles about and mud about on the road/walkways walking across the grass isn't much better as a lot of it is slightly waterlogged. Just attempted exiting the purple car park and had a fair bit of trouble as there was a slight incline. If we have the rain that is forecasted in the next 24hours I can't see it becoming anything other than a muddy start to the festival 

7 minutes ago, M_Il said:

Just got back from the site lots of puddles about and mud about on the road/walkways walking across the grass isn't much better as a lot of it is slightly waterlogged. Just attempted exiting the purple car park and had a fair bit of trouble as there was a slight incline. If we have the rain that is forecasted in the next 24hours I can't see it becoming anything other than a muddy start to the festival 

another doomsayer, this is getting tiring.....what happened to positive mental attitude?

2 hours ago, M_Il said:

2 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

another doomsayer, this is getting tiring.....what happened to positive mental attitude?

Sorry but your not being fair - it has bugger all to do with a 'positive mental attitude'  as you cant change facts.

I have friends who are working there just now and have been for the past 7+ days and some  of them have been working at festivals for 25+ years so they are used to ground conditions  and they report the same.

Yes for sure some areas are better than others ' but some areas are worse than others '

I do know the large flood that was caused by Whitelake River has been sorted out but  this is bound to impact the ground near it so I would expect Rivermead to be very boggy.

I do know they have been using water pumps up at Dairy ground as that had a big problem.

sure if the rain stays away things may change - I will find out myself tomorrow

If I were going, I wouldn't touch Rivermead, Dairy or any lower-lying fields with a bargepole. Even if Tuesday dries things up on the surface, the soil itself is going to be very wet and any slight shift in weather that brings more then a shower is going to turn things into carnage. The smart people will camp higher up and I don't mean towards the top of Pennards, I mean Lime Kiln (for PGA). Easy in, easy out - that's the name of the game this year.

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

If I were going, I wouldn't touch Rivermead, Dairy or any lower-lying fields with a bargepole. Even if Tuesday dries things up on the surface, the soil itself is going to be very wet and any slight shift in weather that brings more then a shower is going to turn things into carnage. The smart people will camp higher up and I don't mean towards the top of Pennards, I mean Lime Kiln (for PGA). Easy in, easy out - that's the name of the game this year.

This is what I was thinking. That's why I liked woodsies because it felt like it was on a slight incline in comparison. Now that's not open I'm not sure where to head. I'm assuming bushy ground is rather flat too.

Upper side of Paines (formerly Dairy) will be fine, but usually the lower end towards the railway track is slowest to dry and water from taps and bogs adds to that.  I'd avoid that area also.  Anywhere downhill from a toilet and water point, basically, particularly if the welly washers are back.

Good luck with that! If it's raining when I arrive Wednesday I'm just going to wait in my car til it stops. I don't mind the rain at all but putting a tent up in it is the worst ever. Even builders don't build houses in the rain!

Sooooo...

I usually camp in Bushy, and that's always served me well, but I'm beginning to wonder if the ground is a bit on the low side for the current weather. Anyone got any good recommendations for a field similar to Bushy (in atmosphere, noise etc.) that's a bit higher?

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Sorry but your not being fair - it has bugger all to do with a 'positive mental attitude'  as you cant change facts.

I have friends who are working there just now and have been for the past 7+ days and some  of them have been working at festivals for 25+ years so they are used to ground conditions  and they report the same.

Yes for sure some areas are better than others ' but some areas are worse than others '

I do know the large flood that was caused by Whitelake River has been sorted out but  this is bound to impact the ground near it so I would expect Rivermead to be very boggy.

I do know they have been using water pumps up at Dairy ground as that had a big problem.

sure if the rain stays away things may change - I will find out myself tomorrow

cheers for update old son keep em coming