The stone roses

weeksy97

2 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

This would be the perfect time for the Roses to play Glasto. Clearly there's not the same momentum behind them as before, everyone who wanted to see them already has. The two new songs are hardly up there with the best work. A Glasto appearance would likely help put their name in the papers again and shift sales again. 

On reading that it sounds like the best time to play Glasto would have been some time before they announced the biggest gig they'll ever do. :P

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

This would be the perfect time for the Roses to play Glasto from their point of view. Clearly there's not the same momentum behind them as before, everyone who wanted to see them already has. The two new songs are hardly up there with the best work. A Glasto appearance would likely help put their name in the papers again and shift sales again. 

aye, they've pretty much burnt out their reunion hype now so Glastonbury would do them well in that sense. hopefully by the time it rolls round they have some new *gulp* good material out so they don't have to resort to playing All For One at least. a part of me thinks i could be easily swayed elsewhere on the night, but another part of me thinks i'd be a fool to not be there as it'll clearly be a huge Glastonbury moment, especially as i've never seen them live before and only in the past two years or so have truly appreciated how great of a band they are (or the first album is, at least)

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

aye, they've pretty much burnt out their reunion hype now so Glastonbury would do them well in that sense. hopefully by the time it rolls round they have some new *gulp* good material out so they don't have to resort to playing All For One at least. a part of me thinks i could be easily swayed elsewhere on the night, but another part of me thinks i'd be a fool to not be there as it'll clearly be a huge Glastonbury moment, especially as i've never seen them live before and only in the past two years or so have truly appreciated how great of a band they are (or the first album is, at least)

It's a brilliant headliner for me as I've seen them at a landmark show so I can happily miss them, but it'll be great to watch if there's not a lot else on. I'm just really not convinced this year is any different to other years - 2016 in particular - for them taking up Glastonbury's offer.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

On reading that it sounds like the best time to play Glasto would have been some time before they announced the biggest gig they'll ever do. :P

Yeah Wembley makes no sense with that to be fair. I think that'll go on sale on Groupon, unless they were hoping the Glasto hype helps sell Wembley tickets. Big call to do a show that big away from home. 

1 minute ago, arcade fireman said:

Yeah Wembley makes no sense with that to be fair. I think that'll go on sale on Groupon, unless they were hoping the Glasto hype helps sell Wembley tickets. Big call to do a show that big away from home. 

That's true - two British institutions finally coming together will be talked up in the music press over here like crazy so it could definitely get people interested in going to Wembley. Ideally those gigs would be after Glasto though, unless the Glasto set was a trainwreck.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's a brilliant headliner for me as I've seen them at a landmark show so I can happily miss them, but it'll be great to watch if there's not a lot else on. I'm just really not convinced this year is any different to other years - 2016 in particular - for them taking up Glastonbury's offer.

i'm sticking with my case of Muse, Adele and Coldplay all being wrapped up with touring after 2016 so it was 2016 or never/not until next touring cycle for them, whereas Radiohead and Roses were both touring in to 2017 so agreed to play a year later (which would fit in with all next years headliners being booked way in advance). also if the ever persistent new album rumours are true, maybe they fancy the increased album sales from a Glastonbury performance boosting their new album as well as their older material. if they're gonna use Glastonbury to their full advantage, might as well do it right

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i'm sticking with my case of Muse, Adele and Coldplay all being wrapped up with touring after 2016 so it was 2016 or never/not until next touring cycle for them, whereas Radiohead and Roses were both touring in to 2017 so agreed to play a year later (which would fit in with all next years headliners being booked way in advance). also if the ever persistent new album rumours are true, maybe they fancy the increased album sales from a Glastonbury performance boosting their new album as well as their older material. if they're gonna use Glastonbury to their full advantage, might as well do it right

I think they'd forget Muse existed if Stone Roses agreed to play on this tour. Coldplay are definitely gigging next year too but I get where you're coming from. The point about the new album is good though - hadn't thought of that.

5 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

New material coming and people will buy just in case they miss out on Glastonbury. It made no business sense for R&L to have some of their big hitters at Glastonbury this year.....it still happened.

16 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I've a similar dilemma, but worse in a way as it COULD be a huge Glastonbury moment but is very unlikely to be as good as Heaton Park as the crowd won't be AS partisan. Don't want to sully that memory. If they have new stuff out and it's good I reckon I'll definitely be there. If not, could be persuaded elsewhere. 

But if they are the Sunday it'd be ace to finish on the pyramid (Not seen a Sunday pyramid headliner since my debut in 2007) and I reckon the majority of my mates will be there. 

yep i'm with you there. not seen a Sunday Pyramid act since Stevie so it'd be great to do it again, especially as the Roses will be such a momentous occasion. even if the crowds aren't as mental as they have been for their own shows, i can't see it being anything other than a huge deal for everybody there, and even with new material i'm guessing they'll stick to the self-titled album heavy setlists as that's what the people want. guess i've just got to cross my fingers that Glastonbury makes the decision for me by booking some so-so alternatives (although undoubtedly there will be something on somewhere that has me mm'ing and ahh'ing)

Edited by FloorFiller

7 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

MME say that a 2nd date at Wembley for the 16th will be announced 

Which would mean three days in a row, if they took the Sunday slot. I know they've done it before, but that was without travel.

For those that have seen them recently, what's their stage setup like? I guess they'd need to drive the equipment to Somerset and set up before 11 on the Sunday morning...

6 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Which would mean three days in a row, if they took the Sunday slot. I know they've done it before, but that was without travel.

For those that have seen them recently, what's their stage setup like? I guess they'd need to drive the equipment to Somerset and set up before 11 on the Sunday morning...

Nope, 1 in Ireland on 13th, 2 in London on 16th and 17th and possibly two to following weekend on Friday and Saturday but Hampden would need to sell out 1st.

24 minutes ago, mufcok said:

It's the pinnacle for me, one of my all time favourite bands headlining my favourite place, doesn't get any better. I craved it for years

Just the small matter of getting a ticket now..

Exactly the same here. And as others have said, closing out the Pyramid on the Sunday night would make it even better.

4 hours ago, mufcok said:

It's the pinnacle for me, one of my all time favourite bands headlining my favourite place, doesn't get any better. I craved it for years

Just the small matter of getting a ticket now..

And the small matter of the confirmation they're playing! ;) 

Just now, big__phil said:

Fuck that's expensive. I know it's probably the going rate for a stadium show, but for someone who doesn't usually go to these things that's a lot of dosh.

Still, I'll end up paying it...

And people complain*** about the cost of Glastonbury tickets, £230 for non-stop entertainment which includes at least 20 bands that ask for £50 or more a ticket.

Like you good self though, I'll still end up paying it.

*** no one that's been actually complains about the cost mind.