Lineup 2018

Just now, TheAM's said:

YES OBVIOUSLY - now they are at firefly they are deffo back so will 100% play Leeds and reading. They might as well confirm it officially now...

it's going to be a sad day for you when they announce the lineup

3 minutes ago, TheAM's said:

YES OBVIOUSLY - now they are at firefly they are deffo back so will 100% play Leeds and reading. They might as well confirm it officially now...

just because they will be playing some shows somewhere in the world over summer doesn't mean that they are confirmed to play Reading...

17 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Don't know if it's been a conscious effort or not but there's definitely been a slight increase in diversity at R&L since 2015 when someone edited the lineup to show the female acts on the poster and there was like 5 or something. Still, at the top of the bill it continues to be a bit of a sausage fest. If Paramore aren't there this year then it looks like the biggest female act will be Wolf Alice.

Aren't they part of a scheme for this IIRC some of the artists spoke about it last year

EDIT: Actually, Festival Republic are running the scheme, it's called ReBalance

Edited by Mattymooz

Just now, RarerThanDandyB said:

Why do you no think they will out of curiousity, could they?

1. If Foos are playing (which it's looking like they are) and AM are then that would be massive for R&L. Why waste 2 of the biggest ticket sellers in one year

2. It's only been 4 years, which is quite a short gap for most big bands (Foos will be on like an 8 year gap this year iirc)

3. Currently, it's looking like AM will be touring June/July (the opposite end of the summer to R&L)

4. They are heavily rumoured for Tramlines, which is in Sheffield. Why would they play Sheffield and Leeds?

5. Foos, Kendrick and a Royal Blood coheadline (with whoever) is such a well rounded set of headliners. Variety with kendrick, new acts being bumped up with the coheadline, should leave money left for the undercard (unlike last year) etc.

7 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Why do you no think they will out of curiousity, could they?

Yeah it's still a possibility, but currently the only thing that suggests they might be there is that they're active next summer. However:

- Neil (the owner of this site) has heard information that they're not going to be at R&L this year (although he did say he can't know that to be 100% truth).
- There's no indication that their album will be out before R&L and if it's not then they'll have no new material (maybe a single at most) since they last headlined.
- It's looking pretty certain that Foos will be there, so it's doubtful that they'd have two massive bands like that headline when they could save them for next year or the year after.
- They're strongly rumoured for TRNSMT & some other European festivals, and there's rumours they're potentially at Tramlines (could also play BST as someone said earlier).

Given all that, and the fact that they're strongly rumoured for some festivals but there's been information that they're specifically not at R&L, it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Like I said though, I don't think there's no chance, but I'll be very surprised if they are there this year.

Edit: nice one @Mattymooz stealing everything I was about to say

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Don't know if that would be safe whatever stage it was on, or what AM would gain from doing it. Think someone like The 1975 are much more likely for a secret set.

1st time festival goer, out of curiosity, when do we find out about secret sets? I mean obviously they’re not announced or anything but how do people find out when they’re playing?

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Sorry to bring it up again buuuut...

Intersting seeing how much outrage I have seen on twitter regarding the gender diversity of the Firefly lineup. Not sure it'll change anything but it is interesting to see

Tbf the Firefly lineup had one female in like the entire first 4 rows, i don’t see R&L having much of an issue comparatively. With Paramore coheadlining, Wolf Alice and probably some other well established women like SZA perhaps, there’s already better representation than Firefly

1 minute ago, matty13 said:

1st time festival goer, out of curiosity, when do we find out about secret sets? I mean obviously they’re not announced or anything but how do people find out when they’re playing?

Normally it will be very obvious. If we don't already know on here, then it will be posted on their social media, in the app and even around the festival. For QOTSA this year a short clip playing one of their songs pointing to the NME stage was playing on the main stage screen all day, before it was finally confirmed online a couple of hours before. Not to mention that a month or so prior in a radio X interview they had mentioned turning up at a UK festival and reading was one of the only suitable fests left, and it was just before their album release date.

4 minutes ago, matty13 said:

Generally there's a good idea of the few acts it could be before the festival because of who's around / makes sense to make an appearance. Often info will be leaked and sites like NME will pick up on it, or sometimes even the band will announce it a day / few hours before their set. It depends really, but it's rare that there'd be a secret set coming on stage that no one had any idea about at all, you're normally gonna know about it a couple of hours before it happens.

1 minute ago, Jack w said:

Normally it will be very obvious. If we don't already know on here, then it will be posted on their social media, in the app and even around the festival. For QOTSA this year a short clip playing one of their songs pointing to the NME stage was playing on the main stage screen all day, before it was finally confirmed online a couple of hours before. Not to mention that a month or so prior in a radio X interview they had mentioned turning up at a UK festival and reading was one of the only suitable fests left, and it was just before their album release date.

There were also QOTSA posters on-site saying "Villains this way" something pointing to the NME Stage with the time on them or something, wasn't there?

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

There were also QOTSA posters on-site saying "Villains this way" something pointing to the NME Stage with the time on them or something, wasn't there?

yeah they had the same graphic as was being played on the main stage screen.

It was this obvious yet 10 minutes before they were due to play on the NME stage, i was at the Main stage and a couple said to me how they wished that QOTSA turned up. They ran pretty fast after i told them the obvious.

Just now, Jack w said:

It was this obvious yet 10 minutes before they were due to play on the NME stage, i was at the Main stage and a couple said to me how they wished that QOTSA turned up. They ran pretty fast after i told them the obvious.

bet they were glad they bumped into you

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Also (assuming you're talking about Reading) QOTSA had already done their set at Leeds earlier in the day, or had that info not really circled around Reading?

Yeah quite a lot of people had seen that. But as you can tell from my previous post, somehow many people were still completely oblivious to what was going on.

Edited by Jack w

11 minutes ago, matty13 said:

Also in the program on the stage times there was a highlighted space for an act with no name on it between Tory lanez and you me at six on the NME stage which is when QOTSA played

2 minutes ago, Jack w said:

Fam what were you doing at Main

If you had the app this year you'd get a notification saying "No one knows who our secret act is" for Queens and for Broco it said "Who are The Prettyboys?".

So even if you couldn't work out who it was you'd be aware a secret set is happening.

Edited by Steve1000

I'm sure for Leeds the QOTSA and Wolf Alice were just announced on the app without any further hints or clues, they just named them.  QOTSA were selling t-shirts with the time on too.

For YMAS the year before there was a big poster for the album throughout the three days outside the Pit / Lock Up then on the day of the secret set it had 'here 4pm', or whatever, spray painted on.