Lineup 2018

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Uh the 'back to what it once was' argument is so boring. Kendrick would deliver a far more interesting headline set than any of those you've suggested. Back to what it once was means booking the same headliners every year, which would lead to the death of the festival. If they had the acts you suggested the only new headliner over the last 2 years would be Royal Blood...

True your right however RandL for me personally and many is the rock and alternative like a softer download and that was peoples music but now its got rap its different. But your right mate Kendrick would be different and potentially enjoyable. Thing is an AM and Foo Fighters with RB would be a great lineup and it hasn't really sold out since it changed to many genres.

10 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

What if Foo Fighters and Arctic Monkeys were there? Then RB/Paramore, intent to go back to what RandL once was?

Personally would prefer Kendrick, Arctic Monkeys & Royal Blood/Paramore. Think Kendrick always delivers a great set (and just my personal taste isn’t for Foos)

Just now, RarerThanDandyB said:

True your right however RandL for me personally and many is the rock and alternative like a softer download and that was peoples music but now its got rap its different. But your right mate Kendrick would be different and potentially enjoyable. Thing is an AM and Foo Fighters with RB would be a great lineup and it hasn't really sold out since it changed to many genres.

Reading completely sold out last year

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Pretty sure the Eminem day last year was the first to sell out (pretty quickly too)

5 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Pretty sure the Eminem day last year was the first to sell out (pretty quickly too)

Yeah I think when the day tickets went on sale the eminem day sold out in a few days or something where’s the other two days didn’t sell out until much later i’m pretty sure

Edited by Jack w

3 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Pretty sure Reading sold out in 2016 too as well as what everyone else has mentioned.

Personally, I view the festival as "urban" music, especially aimed at teens. This is gonna sound so pretentious but there were always those 3 "cool" genres of music: rock, electronic and rap. And that is now exactly what R&L is aiming for.

If you want more variety there is stuff like Glasto. If you want less variety there are plenty of other options (Community, TRNSMT, Boomtown, Creamfields, Wireless, Latitude, APE etc.)

You can kind of see what R&L is going for by the smaller stages:

Dance - dedicated to dance (obviously)
Pit/Lock up - metal/punk/rock
FR - indie / alternative
1xtra - rap / grime / hip hop

And then the main stage and the NME stage is a mix of all of those genres. A good setup really, because it means that if there's nothing on the main 2 stages of your preferred genre you can go to one of the smaller stages and always find something you like.

5 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

You can kind of see what R&L is going for by the smaller stages:

Dance - dedicated to dance (obviously)
Pit/Lock up - metal/punk/rock
FR - indie / alternative
1xtra - rap / grime / hip hop

And then the main stage and the NME stage is a mix of all of those genres. A good setup really, because it means that if there's nothing on the main 2 stages of your preferred genre you can go to one of the smaller stages and always find something you like.

The only extra stage I could think they may need is an alt-pop stage so they can seperate out Sigrid/Halsey/Charli XCX/K.Flay/Alma/EDEN/MNEK etc. rather than spreading them between 1xtra, FR and Dance, but other than that it works realy well. Only very occasionally do you not have something to listen to (and thats usually cause the breaks between acts have synced up just wrong)

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

The only extra stage I could think they may need is an alt-pop stage so they can seperate out Sigrid/Halsey/Charli XCX/K.Flay/Alma/EDEN/MNEK etc. rather than spreading them between 1xtra, FR and Dance, but other than that it works realy well. Only very occasionally do you not have something to listen to (and thats usually cause the breaks between acts have synced up just wrong)

I guess they could start doing something similar to The Pit / Lock Up that somewhat differentiates between genres on the Dance stage

I just realised bst Hyde park still have 1 headliner left TBA and they always leave the biggest headliner till last, and it's around the time when arctics are playing probably mad cool etc . Just wondering if they did trnsmt and BST would they wait till 2019 to do r+l and have those 2 as their comeback UK gigs, leaving foos to headline this year ?

3 minutes ago, R Shah said:

I just realised bst Hyde park still have 1 headliner left TBA and they always leave the biggest headliner till last, and it's around the time when arctics are playing probably mad cool etc . Just wondering if they did trnsmt and BST would they wait till 2019 to do r+l and have those 2 as their comeback UK gigs, leaving foos to headline this year ?

2 minutes ago, Properbigfan said:

So do people think AM are a likely headliner then?

I'll be surprised if Arctics are at R&L this year, definitely more likely for 2019, or 2020 if Glastonbury get em 19

Just now, Properbigfan said:

Arctic monkeys secret set would be lovely 

Don't know if that would be safe whatever stage it was on, or what AM would gain from doing it. Think someone like The 1975 are much more likely for a secret set.

30 minutes ago, R Shah said:

I feel like BST could get Muse as a UK festival exclusive this year? maybe with a uk tour towards the end of the year or early next year.

9 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Sorry to bring it up again buuuut...

Intersting seeing how much outrage I have seen on twitter regarding the gender diversity of the Firefly lineup. Not sure it'll change anything but it is interesting to see

women just need to get better at music 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Sorry to bring it up again buuuut...

Intersting seeing how much outrage I have seen on twitter regarding the gender diversity of the Firefly lineup. Not sure it'll change anything but it is interesting to see

Don't know if it's been a conscious effort or not but there's definitely been a slight increase in diversity at R&L since 2015 when someone edited the lineup to show the female acts on the poster and there was like 5 or something. Still, at the top of the bill it continues to be a bit of a sausage fest. If Paramore aren't there this year then it looks like the biggest female act will be Wolf Alice.

20 minutes ago, Fast Drones said:

women just need to get better at music 

there's plenty of amazing female or female fronted bands out there, just obviously most aren't big enough to headline because most of the established bands seem to be male fronted. Give it a few years and the male:female headline ratio will be way more even. I can't really see FR either pushing or holding back female fronted bands too much as they are just fair to what is popular mainly, *although they will clearly be making sure that they are as fair and lenient as possible with their rebalance scheme (that Mattymooz mentioned)*.  But I think that way more female or female-fronted acts will naturally appear in years to come.

* - Edit

Edited by Jack w