Beverage Of Choice

Stooonami

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Smeble said:

This caught my eye, no idea what it's like but I will later.image.jpeg

Well I've sampled it now, and it's quite nice, and you can't get much more local, some of the apples come from worthy farms orchard.

2 x 3L boxes of red

2x 70cl of brandy

30-40 cans ,mix of kroney, stella or such. Not much point in spending fortunes on craft beers and such as 1) they're a waste of money when subjected to the heat we're going to have this year and 2) i'll be w*nkered anyway.

35 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Anyone know of some good tequila for around £20 a bottle? 

I love tequila and would normally go for Patron but as that's pretty expensive I think this is the best alternative, on offer in Sainsburys right now. 
Charm x

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/tequila/jose-cuervo-especial-50cl

7 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Lagers like stella or kroney are horrible when they're warm though. Ales are much more drinkable at higher temps.

First few are ok if you stick 'em under your groundsheet the night before, then a few cold ones from the bar, then red,then brandy and chems.

I'm not a massive ale fan anyway, might have the occasional pint pf PA and such but when i'm usually at least semi-spangled at Glastonbury t's a pointless expense for me.

1 hour ago, morph100 said:

Anyone know of some good tequila for around £20 a bottle? 

Just ensure it is made with 100% Blue Agave. El Jimador is the best in that price range 

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/tequila/el-jimador-reposado-tequila-70cl

33 minutes ago, Charm said:

I love tequila and would normally go for Patron but as that's pretty expensive I think this is the best alternative, on offer in Sainsburys right now. 
Charm x

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/tequila/jose-cuervo-especial-50cl

Always avoid Jose Cuervo its only made 'with blue agave' not 100% which is why its so harsh.

36 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Morrisons have Appleton Estate XV on offer for £15 / bottle at the minute.

It's not a world-beating rum, but it's certainly pretty good for the money and it won our Rum Off last year ahead of other pricier and more highly favoured varieties.

Was after a bottle of rum for G, thanks for that. I like Appleton rum.

This year we shall be bringing:

Cider

More Cider

Rum

Vodka

Possibly Gin for a change

Juices for mixers

Possible JD Honey if we don't bring Gin

1 hour ago, davidd said:

First few are ok if you stick 'em under your groundsheet the night before, then a few cold ones from the bar, then red,then brandy and chems.

I'm not a massive ale fan anyway, might have the occasional pint pf PA and such but when i'm usually at least semi-spangled at Glastonbury t's a pointless expense for me.

A man very much of my way of thinking. I don't understand where people are storing their cans for them to get actually "warm" - under the groundsheet each night, and the job's a good'un.

Best offer on large packs of premium lager I've seen so far is £13.00 for 18 cans of Kronenbourg in Tesco.

I'm having an irrational level of panic over deciding which cans to take. I just can't decide. A lot of my favourites are hard to get hold of in cans and expensive as a result, probably mean importing. Pondering a couple of mini kegs rather than cans hoping they'll stay cooler better, but then again I really don't trust my pouring skills. Do you even get 24 packs anymore? 

24 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

I'm having an irrational level of panic over deciding which cans to take. I just can't decide. A lot of my favourites are hard to get hold of in cans and expensive as a result, probably mean importing. Pondering a couple of mini kegs rather than cans hoping they'll stay cooler better, but then again I really don't trust my pouring skills. Do you even get 24 packs anymore? 

Have a read of that thread. With mini-kegs, bear in mind that they are great for base camp, but don't take kindly to being carried around all day. 

25 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Have a read of that thread. With mini-kegs, bear in mind that they are great for base camp, but don't take kindly to being carried around all day. 

Couple of minutes after I posted that I found this site; https://www.my-food-online.net/drinks/beers

Cost us £56 to get 2x 5l kegs of Warsteiner and 2x 5l kegs of Paulaner delivered, think I've done quite alright there..

17 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

Couple of minutes after I posted that I found this site; https://www.my-food-online.net/drinks/beers

Cost us £56 to get 2x 5l kegs of Warsteiner and 2x 5l kegs of Paulaner delivered, think I've done quite alright there..

Yeah that's good value, but 2 kegs of lager? How are you going to keep them cool in the blazing sun?

2 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Yeah that's good value, but 2 kegs of lager? How are you going to keep them cool in the blazing sun?

They won't last long... 

Am hoping that kegs will keep cooler than cans. There's probably been a scientific study on it but I can't be arsed.

I have a significant dilemma this year.  For the last few years, I've taken about 5 crates of lager, plus some dark rum and port, which has lasted me five days.  I drink quite a bit.  However, over Christmas I was getting crippling stomach pains, which I've realised was caused by lager.  So, I've been trying other things - cider is a no go due to the acidity and fizziness, wine causes me to get too drunk, as do spirits.  Ales cause stomach problems too.  So... might end up having a few Guinnesses for early afternoon, maybe a weaker bottle of rum and mixer for the afternoon, and head into wine country for the evening.  Maybe...

3 hours ago, dooke10 said:

Just ensure it is made with 100% Blue Agave. El Jimador is the best in that price range 

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/tequila/el-jimador-reposado-tequila-70cl

That one is on my shortlist I was also looking at a few other at waitrose online http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Browse/Groceries/Beer_Wine_and_Spirits/Spirits_and_Liqueurs/Tequila

What about this one? AquaRiva Tequila Reposado ( Personally developed by Cleo Rocos )

Edited by morph100

7 minutes ago, morph100 said:

That one is on my shortlist I was also looking at a few other at waitrose online http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Browse/Groceries/Beer_Wine_and_Spirits/Spirits_and_Liqueurs/Tequila

From the Waitrose ones I've not had the Olmeca Altos ones so couldn't really comment on those.

The Patron is only half a bottle so not worth it.

The AquaRiva is nice, it is a celebrity produced Tequila and is decently smooth.

El Jimador is from the same distillery as Herradura just from different price points.

Herradura Resposado (which isn't on there Blanco is) is my favourite Tequila but is £40 a bottle.

On 5/18/2016 at 2:36 PM, Starchild771 said:

Yes, we do loads of camping and the cold water/bucket/bowl never fails to cool the drinks at any time of day.

We use a plastic fabric bowl thingy that rolls up into a ball like a sock and is very light weight. It balloons out at the base so it's fairly stable on uneven ground. Just remember to keep any water in the shade to keep it cool.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PMS-International-090-260-Foldable/dp/B008GSYQ7Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_200_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=4174I4k4fzL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=FQT60GAWFANHJXH22ACZ

We use a tesco bag for life type bag with a bin liner inside it. Works a treat. 

2 hours ago, carpdreamer said:

I have a significant dilemma this year.  For the last few years, I've taken about 5 crates of lager, plus some dark rum and port, which has lasted me five days.  I drink quite a bit.  However, over Christmas I was getting crippling stomach pains, which I've realised was caused by lager.  So, I've been trying other things - cider is a no go due to the acidity and fizziness, wine causes me to get too drunk, as do spirits.  Ales cause stomach problems too.  So... might end up having a few Guinnesses for early afternoon, maybe a weaker bottle of rum and mixer for the afternoon, and head into wine country for the evening.  Maybe...

when you say Cider is a no go due to acidity and fizziness, do you mean the standard 5% cans you get in most supermarkets, magners, bulmers ect?

if so you might want to look into real still cider, normally comes in around 7% and won't be too acidy as they're well balanced

have a look into bag in a box type ciders and you might find your onto a winner :) 

Appreciate that this is quite a long thread so this may have been mentioned but, does anyone else enjoy the cocktail that is vodka squash? Essentially like rocket fuel, can be made to any strength to taste and makes a change from the usual run of beer, wine or cider. That said, I appreciate it's not to everyone's taste!

3 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

They won't last long... 

Am hoping that kegs will keep cooler than cans. There's probably been a scientific study on it but I can't be arsed.

Maybe the larger volume will take longer to heat up. Take a towel with you, soak it at the taps (in a sink to avoid creating more of a quagmire ;-)  ) then drape it around the keg to cool it by water evaporation.  It won't be ice cold, but cooler.  If you want me to carry out any scientific testing on temperatures, post me a full keg and I'll let you know how I get on.

My drink this year will be mainly cider, from Herefordshire, occasional ales from the bars (I'm looking at you, Tricketts), followed briefly each evening by Bourbon or whiskey.

53 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Anyone got any experience of jp chenet -18 quid for a 3l shiraZ, African horizon - 15 for 3l or morrisons own - 12 for 2.25l boxed red wines. I have some vouchers and they seem to be the only boxed they have. 

@The Nal tagging you as efestivals boxed wine expert but all opinions welcomed. 

I wouldn't use JP Chenet to deglaze a shitty toilet bowl. Bottle, box or otherwise. Absolute monkey piss. 

Shiraz is quite alcoholic - usually 14% or more - so not great for hangovers. The extra 1 or 2% makes a big big difference. 

I'm after a single or double varietal - ie made from one/two grape types, or three at most. Tempranillo or a Montepulciano preferably. 12.5% ish alcohol. Clean, single variety, relatively light. I know from experience at Glasto that the cheapo blends like "Spanish red" can lead to diabolical hangovers. God knows what leftover shit they put in there. 

One of these. I think I'll fork out the extra few quid for the Tempranillo. Tesco and Morrisons don't seem to have a good offering at the moment.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/wine-boxes---mini-bottles/caja-roja-monastrell-tempranillo-225l

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/wine-boxes---mini-bottles/sainsburys-house-montepulciano-225l

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/wine-boxes---mini-bottles/sainsburys-house-merlot-225l

Although that said, I drank 3-4 different wines last year, including from the wine bars and got no hangovers so who knows. 

Edited by The Nal